• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Can't find the original post now, but it was asked upthread why there are relatively few black people in Walton County compared to Bay or Okaloosa. Seems like the majority of the middle class black population in the panhandle outside of Pensacola is here for military ties- either current generation or a parent or grandparent and

1- you want to live closer to jobs and services. Trying to home from work at Eglin/Hurlburt/Tyndall to Santa Rosa Beach on US 98 during the summer would kind of make me hate life.

2- Once the Pentagon decides that civil rights issues need to be handled in a specific way, it is done without concern of "but my daddy and granddaddy did it this way". Military-dominated Okaloosa was the first school district in the state to desegregate (after Brown but ahead of lower court order) and it happened when black airmen on base approached their commander about separate and unequal education for their kids, the base commander went to the school district, and the most eventful thing about the whole process is that Choctawhatchee High School spent a couple years racking up forfeit wins in football and basketball because a lot of other schools in the region refused to play against a 'mixed' team.

The DoD can and does blacklist a business that shows discriminatory practices against their personnel in uniform. Somewhere around 2005, I think it was, Air Force investigators found that a Walton County appliance store was charging higher prices to Hispanic service members than it was to white buyers. The store was put on the DoD 'do not go here or purchase services from this business' list, and it went out of business not much later.

Granted it's not perfect on this side of the county line as the recent issues with he Baker School show, but town and base are tied together tightly enough that race relations have tended to be a little more forward-thinking than in many non-military parts of the old South.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Can't find the original post now, but it was asked upthread why there are relatively few black people in Walton County compared to Bay or Okaloosa. Seems like the majority of the middle class black population in the panhandle outside of Pensacola is here for military ties- either current generation or a parent or grandparent and

1- you want to live closer to jobs and services. Trying to home from work at Eglin/Hurlburt/Tyndall to Santa Rosa Beach on US 98 during the summer would kind of make me hate life.

2- Once the Pentagon decides that civil rights issues need to be handled in a specific way, it is done without concern of "but my daddy and granddaddy did it this way". Military-dominated Okaloosa was the first school district in the state to desegregate (after Brown but ahead of lower court order) and it happened when black airmen on base approached their commander about separate and unequal education for their kids, the base commander went to the school district, and the most eventful thing about the whole process is that Choctawhatchee High School spent a couple years racking up forfeit wins in football and basketball because a lot of other schools in the region refused to play against a 'mixed' team.

The DoD can and does blacklist a business that shows discriminatory practices against their personnel in uniform. Somewhere around 2005, I think it was, Air Force investigators found that a Walton County appliance store was charging higher prices to Hispanic service members than it was to white buyers. The store was put on the DoD 'do not go here or purchase services from this business' list, and it went out of business not much later.

Granted it's not perfect on this side of the county line as the recent issues with he Baker School show, but town and base are tied together tightly enough that race relations have tended to be a little more forward-thinking than in many non-military parts of the old South.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
30,000 African American men fought in the confederate army? Just not true. It was illegal to arm slaves until the desperate end. Many were body slaves attending their masters. Some were forced to serve in labor capacities without arms. Some escaped while serving. But very few were actual soldiers. They had been declared an inferior race destined for slavery before the war even started. Rewriting history right now in Walton County FL. A nice guy speaking to the BCC. But please...

Much rewriting the history of the confederacy today with every word. We believe what we believe. Our knowledge is so limited and twisted. I'm no historian but I know when those facts are just not right.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
How silly. Just the same ole sh**, from either side, over and over again.

Yes.

But Ms. Maria Milton just gave an incredible and moving speech. She said that yes the flag should come down. But if racism continues in our hearts as many have been witness to and victim of, here in Walton County and in this country, then it will not matter.

She was quite eloquent. What courage.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
The BCC just voted to accept Commissioner Sara Comander's compremise. The flag will be replaced with the original Confederate flag. The battle flag will be retired.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
The BCC just voted to accept Commissioner Sara Comander's compremise. The flag will be replaced with the original Confederate flag. The battle flag will be retired.

And how is this better? I really do not know. I thought a real compromise would be in the offering. Though I didn't hold out much hope.

I'm hearing that a lot of people who have chosen to make their home here have been referred to as outsiders by our commissioners.

Local African American speakers showed enormous courage today. Thank you. Your words do matter.