• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
People are posting so fast, I missed your answer to Misty. I really feel you and others should bear in mind that the perception of what is racism is, at least, a two way street.

It also relates to people who want to be offended by something...chances are they will be.

m1a1mg

Beach Fanatic
Mar 16, 2014
Lost in the world
What a chicken s*** compromise. They took one racist symbol and replaced it with a lesser known version. There are two Walton counties. North and South. I've been saying to all along. Today the BCC proved it.

Which other symbols of getting your a** kicked are y'all in favor?

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
It does not require a certain perception or being easily offended to object to that flag.

Systematic discrimination and violence against people because of their race, religion, or sexual orientation should be unacceptable to everyone.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Systematic discrimination and violence against people because of their race, religion, or sexual orientation should be unacceptable to everyone.

Agreed.

Most of the people in that BCC meeting today know one another. Hell, I know half of them (both black and white) just by their names....but none of those people in that room, especially the younger individuals (who all spoke every eloquently btw) are personally responsible for the atrocious acts of individuals who support systematic discrimination. So now we have the dilemma, who do you pacify? Or how do you compromise?

Do we silence/punish the majority for acts that happened 150 years ago that they are not responsible for or do you try to reach a compromise being mindful of both sides?

Again, I think the BCC made the best decision they could, given the position they were put in. I would have liked to see it go to a referendum myself, then the BCC wouldn't have had to make the call. The "people" would have and you would not have liked that outcome either.

Last edited:

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
People are posting so fast, I missed your answer to Misty. I really feel you and others should bear in mind that the perception of what is racism is, at least, a two way street.

Andy, that may be the smartest thing I have heard in a long time. The perception of racism exists in the mind. A racist act is when it goes from the mind into an action. In my 58 years I have never personally witnessed a racist act except during desegregation (and it was on both sides). However, I have witnessed a whole lot of people accusing others of racism through projection or perception. If our communities were more diverse then it may help reduce this false perception. I say lets work on that diversity instead of accusing rednecks and conservatives for all that is wrong in society.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
11817203_955538091156393_5980965070311314409_n.jpg

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Would you have preferred a referendum? I can assure you had there been one the outcome of that would have been completely different.

I agree the BCC listened to the people. And voted accordingly. They did not listen to our local African Americans who took the time to humbly and courageously tell their stories. There aren't enough of them to make a difference in Walton County. They have no voice here. I commend them and I hear them. I continue to be inspired.

If people don't think racism is at the heart of this issue, then I don't know what else makes it so emotional. People may not be aware of the real heart of this flag, but it's there - there is no denying the flag's tie to slavery, bigotry, hate and opression from the very beginning of its existence. Heritage and pride as an argument is bull crap. You can fly your flag anytime you wish. You can build museums and do many things to celebrate your heritage. Why it has to fly over everyone is beyond me. Regardless of which confederate flag you may prefer.

That's my opinion.

I'm not surprised at today's vote. My heart goes out. I have a dream.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
I agree the BCC listened to the people. And voted accordingly. They did not listen to our local African Americans who took the time to humbly and courageously tell their stories. There aren't enough of them to make a difference in Walton County. They have no voice here. I commend them and I hear them.

They have a voice here if they are registered to VOTE!! And trust me, this coming election we may see some new Commissioners over this issue right here.

And that my friend, is what the process is all about!