• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
graytonbeachguy, Danny Glidewell has also been involved in this from the beginning. He is actively involved in the politics of this County and knows more about the people involved from both sides than I. I think he probably has a better perception of the agendas that were in play today at the Courthouse.

Danny and I don't always agree and have had heated discussions about other issues (religion mostly) but in regard to this issue, I do believe he is coming from a good place and may be a tad more objective or have a different perception than I do. Ask him what he thinks.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
And, still, many of you still don't understand what the issue was all about. It wasn't about racism. It wasn't about a particular flag. It wasn't about white vs. blanck. It was about the continuation of a memorial, as it has been for years, in the manner it has been for years, honoring fallen soldies deemed to be American soldiers for a cause in which they believed. The biggest complaint regarding the battle flag was that it, in itself, was an affront to black Americans. That complaint has been answered. I, for one, would have accepted whatever decision the BCC made and I hoped all other would as well. I still hold that hope and will end with this. A decision has been made. Accept it and move on. We have biggger fish to fry in this county, state and nation.
The memorial honored the fallen soldiers for almost a century without any flag, so removing the flag does not in any way tarnish their service or legacy. Leaving a flag up taints their memorial.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
The memorial honored the fallen soldiers for almost a century without any flag, so removing the flag does not in any way tarnish their service or legacy. Leaving a flag up taints their memorial.
In what way does it "taint" their memorial. They are all dead. It is OUR memorial to them. You are trying to make this about both past and present day racism and that "taints" both history and heritage.

Last edited by a moderator:

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
There are those who wanted the rebel flag taken down and who are satisfied with the original Confederate flag taking its place.

They feel it's a better option. Perhaps it is.

I'm not sure yet. I have to wonder what African Americans with a family heritage of 200 years of slavery in this country feel about any version of the confederate flag. It's not that far in the past really.

But it is part of our story.

I read today that this first version of the flag was despised by confederate people because it resembled the Union flag and would be confusing on the battlefield and also too closely related to abolitionists and their ideas in its design. Of course, more designs followed.

I wonder why this original Confederate flag was selected today.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I like the speech, really. But, this is what you do not understand. Every time you call the Confederate Flag a racist symbol you are trying to take away my proud heritage. We are all proud Americans yet we have done things that were wrong. Slavery was wrong but it existed throughout this Country. Racism is wrong but it existed all through this Country (both then and now). I wish you could understand this because it would allow us that common ground that we both seek.

Hey now! It's my dream... you can have your own.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
I'm not sure yet. I have to wonder what African Americans with a family heritage of 200 years of slavery in this country feel about any version of the confederate flag. It's not that far in the past really.

I read today that this first version of the flag was despised by confederate people because it resembled the US flag and would be confusing on the battlefield and also too closely related to abolitionists in its design. Of course, more designs followed.

Good Lord Teresa...do you really believe that back in the day only Blacks were slaves? Do you not know that Blacks enslaved Blacks and that there were also white slaves and indentured servants?

Do you not understand that under the Lincoln Administration we proudly waved Old Glory and that flag represented "slavery" to blacks?

We can't right all the freaking wrongs of the past nor are we personally responsible for it but we can sure as hell move on from it. We can't bring back the Blacks, Whites and Indians who died as slaves nor can we bring back the dead of those who served in so many countless wars while we waved old glory (which I might add represents hatred to people of other countries) while we sat safely in our recliners at home but we can make damn sure that history doesn't keep repeating itself so that we are not destined to repeat the same mistakes. Are you now going to empathize with Countries who would like to see us obliterated because of the damage, death and destruction we participated in?

You keep saying...oh the poor blacks who spoke today, you quoted MLK's "I have a dream" speech and I really have to wonder why? What's the purpose? What are you hoping to accomplish?

There is enough negative press today that keeps those memories of an absolutely horrid time in our history alive (some of which I might add still exist today) but does that make you personally responsible?? No it doesn't and while maybe you want to carry that burden for blacks I'm simply not willing to do it.

I also think that the time for this "pity party" should have started before the BCC voted today!

Last edited:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Misty, my entire position was about the African American people from the beginning of this discussion. How they feel and what they think about a confederate flag on public land.

We heard from some good people today. I heard what they had to say..

They were not poor blacks. I said their standing up today was excellent. There is no pity party. Only courage.

You don't need to think about it. But some people do. I do.

carson

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2014
Seagrove
Misty, my entire position was about the African American people from the beginning of this discussion. How they feel and what they think about a confederate flag on public land.

We heard from some good people today. I heard what they had to say. It's not a pity party. It's a very real part of our story.

They were not poor blacks. I said their standing up today was excellent. Nothing to pity. Everything to admire.

You don't need to think about it. But some people do. I do.

I just drove from my house in Seagrove to Charleston today and did not see one Confederate flag. Life seemed to be getting along A-OK. I am driving from here to ATL Thursday and through Alabama back home, I will offer live flag reports from the road!

Fly any flag you want just be prepared to deal with the emotions and perceptions it evokes. In our effort to become more accepting we have managed to become more divided and myopic.