• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Just interesting? I think its a hoot! I guess we aren't the only "chickens" in the northern panhandle. LOL

If I'm reading this right, all confederate flags were recently removed from city and county ... Replaced with state of Florida flags. June 2015.

http://www.pnj.com/story/news/2015/06/25/city-pensacola-remove-confederate-flag/29284051/

"While the Confederate Flag undeniably represents a part of Pensacola's history, to many it is a painful symbol of racial hatred and intolerance," the mayor is quoted in a press release. "I proudly celebrate our great city's rich history, but I do not believe that we are defined by our history alone. We will always be the City of Five Flags — but now is the time for us to turn our focus to our city's bright future."

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
If I'm reading this right, all confederate flags were recently removed from city and county ... Replaced with state of Florida flags. June 2015.

http://www.pnj.com/story/news/2015/06/25/city-pensacola-remove-confederate-flag/29284051/

"While the Confederate Flag undeniably represents a part of Pensacola's history, to many it is a painful symbol of racial hatred and intolerance," the mayor is quoted in a press release. "I proudly celebrate our great city's rich history, but I do not believe that we are defined by our history alone. We will always be the City of Five Flags — but now is the time for us to turn our focus to our city's bright future."

A little less than a month ago and about the same time the drama started here...I had not seen that article. Thanks.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
A little less than a month ago and about the same time the drama started here...I had not seen that article. Thanks.

Just found it thanks to your reminder about Pensacola's five flags. This is a city that takes its flags seriously yet willing change their flags flying throughout the city and county and look to the future...

Will have to dig further. I didn't see any info about local petitions or such.

Cuff

Beach Lover
Feb 3, 2013
Interesting article Teresa. At least Pensacola leaders are not chickens and that city will have a bright future unlike NoWal.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Interesting article Teresa. At least Pensacola leaders are not chickens and that city will have a bright future unlike NoWal.

Maybe Sowal could become a little Kauai! Chicken with a view :)

The thing about politics is very interesting. Do you vote with the people? Do you vote for the money that gets you elected. Do you vote your own personal truth? I think they voted for the people and with their hearts on this one. I really could see the anguish.

Teresa, I really have to disagree with you about the vote. African Americans were allowed to speak over and over. Some spoke clearly. Some spoke with emotion. Some spoke with reason. Some spoke with truth. They covered all the bases to remove the flag. Yet they are a minority in this county and do not speak for the people. I have been in minority situations and you have to accept that your opinion will not count as much as the majority opinion. That is democracy. Are you saying that democracy is flawed in that way and it saddens you? Are you saying that African Americans are so unrepresented that it saddens you? Somewhere you have missed the point because we do have an African American President for two terms. Help us understand why it saddens you so when you hear African Americans speak. I feel the same way when I hear a Native American speak yet they do not seem to harbor such anger at the system even though it was the purpose of this democracy to destroy their population and culture (slavery was oppressive but not to the same extent as what white America did to the Native Americans). I could understand the sobbing in thinking about the Native American child asking their mommy "why does the white man want us to die or go far away on some barren lands".

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Standing up to a stupid flag that should have been destroyed decades ago isn't dividing the community. It's people within this community standing up for what is right, albeit unpopular.

What Commissioner Commander said today was the same crap people said in the 60s around the time of the Civil Rights Act. Too many around here like the status quo. And it's BS. I'm a white male raised in the South. 90% of the people I've known in my life that fly that flag are racist a*******.

It didn't take one ounce of courage to pass that BS resolution. That was good old boy politics at it's finest. And yeah, women can do it too.

Maybe you need to hang with a different group.

Jenksy

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2012
Maybe Sowal could become a little Kauai! Chicken with a view :)

The thing about politics is very interesting. Do you vote with the people? Do you vote for the money that gets you elected. Do you vote your own personal truth? I think they voted for the people and with their hearts on this one. I really could see the anguish.

Teresa, I really have to disagree with you about the vote. African Americans were allowed to speak over and over. Some spoke clearly. Some spoke with emotion. Some spoke with reason. Some spoke with truth. They covered all the bases to remove the flag. Yet they are a minority in this county and do not speak for the people. I have been in minority situations and you have to accept that your opinion will not count as much as the majority opinion. That is democracy. Are you saying that democracy is flawed in that way and it saddens you? Are you saying that African Americans are so unrepresented that it saddens you? Somewhere you have missed the point because we do have an African American President for two terms. Help us understand why it saddens you so when you hear African Americans speak. I feel the same way when I hear a Native American speak yet they do not seem to harbor such anger at the system even though it was the purpose of this democracy to destroy their population and culture (slavery was oppressive but not to the same extent as what white America did to the Native Americans). I could understand the sobbing in thinking about the Native American child asking their mommy "why does the white man want us to die or go far away on some barren lands".

This is undoubtedly the dumbest post I've seen yet on this forum. Or the most racist. Or both.

Not sure where to start. African Americans aren't under-represented because we have a black president? Jesus Christ you're dense.

I can't believe you are attempting to make a distinction between genocide and slavery. Disgusting.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Jensky, I get it. You "need" to be able to find twisted reasons to "accuse" another person of being racist. If you care to listen, really listen I am reaching out trying to understand the other side of this issue. You can believe whatever you need to about me personally but the reality is you will never really take the time to try and know me. Why don't we spend some time together getting to know each other rather than making accusations? Does this also disgust you? My point is about perspective and why we choose one perspective over another. The question is whether or not our choices in life are inherently discriminatory and can we change that and how.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
MP, you are putting words in my mouth again. I clearly said that the BCC listened to the people and voted accordingly.

I was sincerely moved by several speakers. That's my only point. After hearing them, I didn't care about silly agendas from either petition side one bit. That's my feeling. I don't expect you to do anything whatsoever with my feeling. It has nothing to do with your thoughts.

The. BCC did what I thought it would do with a twist using another flag. I was surprised but not shocked by any means. I think they were looking for a solution. It won't possibly please everyone. And I do think it's a little better. Not ideal but better.

But everyone had their chance to speak, send letters, sign petitions. And I'm glad and thankful. I learned a great deal yesterday.

You can express what you think all day long on the matter but I ask you to not put your spin on me. I don't fit into a box of your making.

I think you are a nice person. I accept your position and honor your struggle to reach it. You don't belong in a box either. You are unique and I would do you a disservice if I tried to write a review on you. You can speak for yourself. And so can I.

I've seen quite a few posts I don't identify with. It's not up to me to evaluate and twist them in an effort to understand them. They are right already. If that person posted their feelings then that's them. And that's exactly right for them. Not you. Not me.

Not sure if you can, but it would be great to hear your thoughts. Without putting words in others mouth.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Is this still SoWal or is it now mputnal3.com? Just checking...