• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Leader of the Banned, you are exactly right. Which is why I disagree with so much of the Federal government's overreaching over the last 50+ years. By both parties. Many issues should be decided on the local or state level. One size fits all rarely works out very well. The state is just as guilty of over reaching on a wide range of issues. Schools are an obvious example. Tallahassee should not be dictating to the local school districts how much taxes to charge or how many teachers to place in a classroom. Those should be local decisions.
Actually Danny, as I understand it the class size amendment was the reason for teacher/student ratio which was not decided by Tallahassee. Tallahassee seems to like to do as it will in spite of what those who voted for it. Much like amendment 1 and their disregard for the will of the voters or the constitution for that matter.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
You can hate racism and love a place.

This wasn't about racism Dawn. It was about a political agenda.

The whites and blacks in that room yesterday all know one another and consider each other friends and acquaintances. I don't remember the black mans name (he is a Campbell) who spoke yesterday but by his own admission (on video tape no less) his family is part of the largest bi-racial family in the County. My point is, that folks in the North end have lived, worked, played, socialized and LOVED together for the last 51 years that flag has been on County property and their ability to do those things isn't likely to change overnight because of the BCC decision albeit that may have been the desired outcome..

Last edited:

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Sometimes that majority is wrong, and I though that one of the reasons for the Supreme Court was to intervene in those cases.

Silly me, eh?

I'm not up on all the decisions made by the Supreme Court in issues like this but I do think someone posted here that the Supreme Court has allowed individual Counties to govern themselves. If I'm mistaken I'm sure someone with an agenda will get the Courts involved.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I'm still trying to figure out what the agenda is that you keep speaking of and seem to know so much about?

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Actually Danny, as I understand it the class size amendment was the reason for teacher/student ratio which was not decided by Tallahassee. Tallahassee seems to like to do as it will in spite of what those who voted for it. Much like amendment 1 and their disregard for the will of the voters or the constitution for that matter.

It was indeed our fellow voters who stuck us with a badly-written class size amendment that did not consider if research showed that limiting class size was one of the better ways to increase academic achievement and other positive education outcomes.

It's passage was the usual 'the legislature isn't doing its job' followed by a group deciding to put a rather draconian option on the ballot to try to change course in Tallahassee despite our legislators. Sometimes those amendments are a good thing (I'm all for the redistricting one that should help curb gerrymanderng in the long run despite short term pain) but sometimes the voters do IMO get it wrong.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
I'm still trying to figure out what the agenda is that you keep speaking of and seem to know so much about?

You watched it on video jdarg and still can't figure it out? I gave you far more credit.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
To think that class size has anything to do with superior education is ludicrous. It is the teacher and curriculm that determines how well students learn, not how many are there. Disipline enters the equation as well, something sadly lacking now because of our politically correct attitudes.

Mike Jones

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2008
I sorta tend to agree with that statement Teresa. That flag has hung on the Courthouse lawn for 51 years and and the County has been unable to keep up with infrastructure and growth (which is the South's largest complaint) with local government. Tourist were non the wiser of its existence so it begs the question, why would someone want to hurt the place they profess to love and call home with such negative, hateful publicity?

Hide and watch and if I'm right, mark my words...I do believe this is a political move by Daniel Uhlfelder who by his own admission wanted the PRESS and was less concerned about that flag.

Your overplaying your hand on this one. Since 90% of our visitors are from the south by car, the'yre not likely to shy away from a scrap about race. I doubt anybody will know anything about it, or care if they did. Only BP can keep people away from SoWal.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
The first thing you need to understand is that it isn't simply a popular majority decision. Had that been the way this country functions, we'd still have segregated schools in the South.

I didn't say I hung out with these people. They are people I have known. I have a zero tolerance policy for racists. I learned it in the military and at home. Growing up in SC and GA, I had many opportunities to witness racism. To be honest, I've done things in my own life of which I'm not proud.

There were quite a few folks yesterday that referred to "these" people or "those" people. I thought it was 2015, not 1915. A dark day in Walton County.

When it starts hitting people in the pocket book, we'll see if this attitude changes. For a county that generates a vast majority of it's revenues from tourism, this is incredibly myopic. Of course, when those same "courageous" politicians have a reduction in the trough upon which they feed, maybe they'll rethink this.
When we communicate with respect we can actually get somewhere. I understand that you symbolize the Confederate Flag as racist. I don't. Discussion begins. Discussion goes right to moral high ground. When that can was opened it became a judgementfest. Name calling ensued. Lines are drawn. Division (which was the agenda) is now our reality. Now it seems there is no common ground. However your post gives me hope that we are able to have respect for each other even though we disagree.