• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
How about this, we give it a year and see how things look then. Maybe have some meetings to share ideas. Try and find some consensus among the various stakeholders. Work on a solution that celebrates everyone's heritage and values. I don't know if it is out there but it could be tried.
However, one side has compromised and reached out in an effort to bring healing and peace. Whether you agree or disagree, anyone who watched objectively knows that was the clear intent of the BCC and those who support preserving heritage. One side has refused any compromise, including moving it to a new or existing park because the county would still maintain it. And since many did not even know what the Stars and Bars was, it is hard to see how they worked up such a problem with it so fast. So, I ask, can you look into your heart and say that maybe you can give a little. Or. we can have a referendum on putting the Battle Flag back up. Because if there is no compromise, then that is the wishes of most of those who want the monument preserved as it was.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Are there monuments to any other war veterans in Walton County, and if so where are they and who pays to maintain them?

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Also the flag that is currently flying with the seven stars is not the one voted on. It needs to come down.

Last edited:

Cuff

Beach Lover
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola compromised for 15 years using the same alternative confederate flag. Now its down. So maybe.... In time. We can do the same.

Good point. I for one will never ever stop fighting blatant racism . The dream never dies.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Oh good! So no flag at all right now?

The correct flag has been ordered. The one currently flying will remain until the new one arrives.