• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
No, Tom was yesterday. He is a very good reporter, although I hated to hear he was calling for me when I was at the SO. But that is another story.

I left out a memorial in Paxton for the American Revolution and commemorating the Bicentennial Wagon Train that camped there in 1976. It is located at Paxton City Hall. I am sure there are more.

I don't think I saw Tom's story. Will find.

Cuff

Beach Lover
Feb 3, 2013
Danny
It isn't just " the local blacks" ( your unfortunate words) that wanted that flag down . Everyone with an ounce of human kindness wants those rags gone from public property. Shame on you and all you piously spew. I have read all of your posts on this topic and do believe you are so much better than pitting the whites against the "local blacks". There but for fortune go you go I .

Andy
We are tired of the "just wait a little bit" give it a year and see how things work out. For God sake man 200 years we wait.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
I don't think I saw Tom's story. Will find.

By TOM McLAUGHLIN
315-4435 | @TomMnwfdn
tmclaughlin@nwfdailynews.com

Posted Jul. 28, 2015 at 5:14 PM
Updated Jul 28, 2015 at 8:22 PM

Walton County has decided to replace the Confederate Flag flying at its courthouse with another Southern banner flown during the Civil War.​
County commissioners voted 4-0 to remove the controversial Stars and Bars, a battle flag first flown by the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia.​
It will be replaced with the first national flag of the Confederate States of America.​
Commissioners Sara Comander and Cindy Meadows offered the second flag as a compromise. Commissioner Cecilia Jones was not present.​
But those who spent the last month advocating for removal of the flag, which flies over a courthouse memorial to Confederate dead, called it a cop out.​
“We’ve gone from a symbol of segregation to a symbol of slavery,” said attorney Daniel Uhlfelder, the first to petition county commissioners to remove the Confederate flag. “We’re moving backwards.”​
The new flag features two red stripes divided by a white stripe and 13 white stars of a background of blue.​
Adopted in 1861, the flag was flown over the dome of the first Confederate Ca​
itol in Montgomery, Ala., according to Internet sources.​
Also known as the Stars and Bars, the Confederate States of America flag made a brief appearance on the battlefield, until it was discovered it looked similar enough to the Union Stars and Stripes to confuse soldiers on both sides.​
The vote to accept the second Confederate flag followed three hours of discussion during which about 60 people stood to advocate for or against removing the first one.​
Commissioners took control of the debate at nearly noon.​
It appeared that Comander’s original motion to accept the second flag would be defeated by Commissioner Bill Chapman’s option of doing away with Confederate flags on public ground all together.​
“We need to remove the flag and put it in a place of honor in a museum. It should be removed from government property. Government property is for all the people,” he said.​
Chapman acknowledged before making his motion that such a stance could hinder his chances for re-election.​
“I told you three-and-a-half years ago I was going to do what was right,” he said.​
Commissioner Cindy Meadows, however, managed to sway her fellows with an argument that outside forces were behind the divisiveness the flag discussion had created in Walton County.​
“This issue has been pushed on us to divide us and promote an agenda,” she said. “And before you say otherwise, look at us now. It’s worked.”​
She said the best way to repair harm done by the divisive flag dispute was to compromise and fly the second flag.
“The compromise position is the way to go,” she said. “No one wins and no one loses.”Following the vote, Norm Fowler, commander of the Sons of Confederate Veterans Panama City chapter, said he could live with the compromise.“That’s probably the best you’re gonna do,” he said.The commission did choose to overlook an offer from county resident Jillian Wolfe to remove the flag and the Confederate memorial and put them on her family’s property near the county’s first courthouse in Eucheeanna., which is between DeFuniak Springs and Freeport.The NAACP was well represented at Tuesday’s meeting and warned the commission of the potential economic impact a decision to keep the Confederate flag flying could have on the county.After the vote Dale Landry, a vice president of the Florida State Conference NAACP, said he intended to ask the Tallahassee Chamber of Commerce to cancel a scheduled convention in Sandestin.“We’ll tell them this is an essentially unsafe place for people of diverse ethnicity,” Landry said. “Confederate flags are about exclusion, not about inclusion.” Landry also said he intends to talk to Fed Ex Ground, which has just announced plans to open a major distribution operation in Mossy Head.“They’re not going to bring in business where there is division,” he said.Flag supporter Danny Glidewell said the flag debate had reopened long closed wounds in Walton County, particularly in the northern area of the county he calls home.He said he believes the commission’s Tuesday decision is the “best solution to satisfy the largest number of people.”“It was a courageous stand for the commissioners present,” he said.Glidewell said he wasn’t too worried about threats from the NAACP.“I don’t like being threatened,” he said. “And if they think they’re going to get anything from the people of Walton County by threatening them, they’ve got another thing coming.”​

Last edited:

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
Cuff I never said that only the locals wanted it down. What I said was I personally had talked to several local Black people who told me they did not care about the national flag flying, they wanted the "X" flag gone. We listened and did that. Nothing I said was intended in any way to pit whites against blacks, local or otherwise. I am concerned with their feelings and want to find solutions that they can live with as well as those who want the flag to remain. I think given time and an opportunity, the compromise can accomplish that. I do not understand why it is so difficult to comprehend that no one supports slavery or segregation or the abuse and terror that blacks endured for so long. What that flag represents is history. It cannot be changed, it is what it is. And it is certainly possible to celebrate courage and defending ones family and home which is what we want to celebrate. I believe we are past due to celebrate the dignity and courage that those who suffered under slavery and segregation demonstrated. And it is certainly time to remember the Indians who were driven from their land and forced to go west during the same time after they had welcomed the whites with open arms.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Everyone with an ounce of human kindness wants those rags gone from public property. Shame on you and all you piously spew.

Says the guy that has shown so much human kindness/compassion to those he disagrees with using his own pious comments.

Last edited:

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Cuff, congratulations. You with your inane, unfeeling, misunderstanding comments have reach a level only two others on this forum have reached. I will not respond to any of your posts to me or otherwise, not that anyone but me cares.

Tetrahedron

Beach Comber
Jul 29, 2015
Isn't it funny how some white folks seem to care more about what they perceive as "black issues" than many black people do? Over on Reddit, we call them "social justice warriors." These are the white people who pipe in on a Facebook picture of a white woman wearing braids or a white guy wearing saggy pants to tell them they are "appropriating black culture" and give them a good dressing down for it. Maybe people in the black community don't need us piping in and telling them what they should be offended over just because it makes us feel all warm and fuzzy inside to preach to the world how inclusive and not racist we are. Sometimes it feels as though people get so riled up about this issue just so they can pat themselves on the back and make themselves feel like good people for "standing up for racial minorities." It's just another variant on "Look how many black friends I have! Aren't I a wonderful person for being friends with black people?!"

I think we are all citizens of Walton county, white, black, brown, or any other color, and we should be focusing on more pressing issues and move on from the flag. It happened, we had a meeting, our elected officials took a vote, the decision has been made. Neither side is entirely happy, but that's exactly what compromise is. If one side or the other got their way 100%, I believe it would further divide the county and people would be even more at each other's throats. Sometimes you just have to let things go. I'm an atheist, and I am not particularly thrilled with things like a Nativity scene on the courthouse lawn every Christmas season, but I'm not going to start a petition or sue the county to remove it, because I think that's petty and a waste of resources to focus on. I'd rather be mildly uncomfortable with the display, rather than turn it into a whole hullabaloo that forces us to stop and talk about that instead of things like jobs, education, the local economy, etc.

I also find the whole "Let's lobby Fedex to not bring jobs to Walton county anymore" angle depressing. Do we think only white folks would benefit from those jobs? Is it right to potentially take good paying jobs away from black people in an attempt to teach the 'rednecks' of Walton county a lesson over the flag issue? Are all the black people of Walton county supposed to just spend their money packing up and relocating to a different county to find opportunities so that the county can be properly punished for what people perceive to be our "backwards redneck views?" If so, are some of you social justice warriors going to offer some of your own money to Walton county's minorities to help evacuate them from this place you feel is so misguided and racist?

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
Cuff, congratulations. You with your inane, unfeeling, misunderstanding comments have reach a level only two others on this forum have reached. I will not respond to any of your posts to me or otherwise, not that anyone but me cares.

I'm taken aback if you think he's reached my level. I guess I need to work harder.

Jenksy

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2012
Isn't it funny how some white folks seem to care more about what they perceive as "black issues" than many black people do? Over on Reddit, we call them "social justice warriors." These are the white people who pipe in on a Facebook picture of a white woman wearing braids or a white guy wearing saggy pants to tell them they are "appropriating black culture" and give them a good dressing down for it. Maybe people in the black community don't need us piping in and telling them what they should be offended over just because it makes us feel all warm and fuzzy inside to preach to the world how inclusive and not racist we are. Sometimes it feels as though people get so riled up about this issue just so they can pat themselves on the back and make themselves feel like good people for "standing up for racial minorities." It's just another variant on "Look how many black friends I have! Aren't I a wonderful person for being friends with black people?!"

I think we are all citizens of Walton county, white, black, brown, or any other color, and we should be focusing on more pressing issues and move on from the flag. It happened, we had a meeting, our elected officials took a vote, the decision has been made. Neither side is entirely happy, but that's exactly what compromise is. If one side or the other got their way 100%, I believe it would further divide the county and people would be even more at each other's throats. Sometimes you just have to let things go. I'm an atheist, and I am not particularly thrilled with things like a Nativity scene on the courthouse lawn every Christmas season, but I'm not going to start a petition or sue the county to remove it, because I think that's petty and a waste of resources to focus on. I'd rather be mildly uncomfortable with the display, rather than turn it into a whole hullabaloo that forces us to stop and talk about that instead of things like jobs, education, the local economy, etc.

I also find the whole "Let's lobby Fedex to not bring jobs to Walton county anymore" angle depressing. Do we think only white folks would benefit from those jobs? Is it right to potentially take good paying jobs away from black people in an attempt to teach the 'rednecks' of Walton county a lesson over the flag issue? Are all the black people of Walton county supposed to just spend their money packing up and relocating to a different county to find opportunities so that the county can be properly punished for what people perceive to be our "backwards redneck views?" If so, are some of you social justice warriors going to offer some of your own money to Walton county's minorities to help evacuate them from this place you feel is so misguided and racist?

I'll pitch in to evacuate the rednecks.

How much is a set of trailer tires?

Cuff

Beach Lover
Feb 3, 2013
Tetra .... Whatever
Thanks for the lecture. My God! Your assumptions and stereotyping have made my head go right right round. Eyes wide open now .
That rag will come down one day .