• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
I just got back from a business trip from Jacksonville, Charleston, Augusta and Atlanta. I drove because I had a lot of stops, needless to say I saw a lot of North Florida, eastern Alabama and a lot of Georgia and South Carolina. I can 100% say without any hesitation, that Walton Co. can stand toe to toe with any other redneck, backwater county in any of those states. I understand rights, history, honor and heritage. Many southern states chose to put a version of, or the actual confederate battle flag up on state capitols in the early 60s, odd timing considering that the Civil rights movement was in full swing. The flag is a symbol of intolerance, not heritage. It is today and always has been. Flags flown in public places should be representative of the people as a whole, regardless of its history or heritage. I am not from Walton Co., I am from Texas, but I am a full time resident here now. It is borderline embarrassing about the fervor over a flag. We should also fly the flags of Senegal, Gambia and the Congo seeing as that is where a majority of the slaves were from. How would that play out? That is heritage too.

And vandalizing Confederate memorials on public and private property isn't redneck, backwater, embarrassing or intolerant?

Gotcha!

Last edited:

graytonbeachguy

Beach Fanatic
Jun 14, 2008
I can live with the compromise. Let's see how many other people can.

By the way, does the south end of the county intend to secede?

Last edited:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Ummm, yes. On the other side of the courthouse, there is a monument to Walton County citizens who have died in every other US war.

Thank you. Umm, I don't spend a lot of time at the courthouse, so I didn't know. Also, Danny had said other memorials are maintained by other organizations, not the county. I am wondering why a group like Sons of Confederate Veterans or a similar group did not explore other options for the memorial, since this is not the first time the appropriateness on government property was challenged.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
The Memorial at the courthouse is maintained by the Heritage Museum while the flag is maintained by the County. Not sure how much "maintenance" is required to hoist the flag up and down so that it never flies higher than the U.S. flag.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
The new oxymoronic flagger slogan: "Dead lives matter"

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
By the way jdarg....there was another option to create a display to sit beside the Confederate Memorial as well that was met with more booing and hissing from those who simply want it down and are unwilling to compromise.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
Thank you. Umm, I don't spend a lot of time at the courthouse, so I didn't know. Also, Danny had said other memorials are maintained by other organizations, not the county. I am wondering why a group like Sons of Confederate Veterans or a similar group did not explore other options for the memorial, since this is not the first time the appropriateness on government property was challenged.

Jdarg, I am all in favor of someone besides the county maintain the monument and purchase the flags. I admit I did not know the county was buying the flags until after the meeting. I am not in favor of tax dollars buying the flags. I am not sure if there are Confederate groups in Walton County. Although I am eligible to belong, I have never thought about it. But the Heritage Museum could do it. I would also be in favor of a dignified sign or marker being at the monument stating that the monument and flag is maintained by ______.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Danny I believe the reason that the county was actually purchasing the flags is because of what you said in a earlier post regarding the BCC agreement in 1964...if the BCC voted for it why wouldn't that incorporate into purchasing like all other county business?