• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Cuff

Beach Lover
Feb 3, 2013
Early on in this thread missy referred to the " flag" as " just a piece of cloth". Bingo.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
Oh cuff, what a wicked web we weave....... a "piece of cloth" could imply anything from a royal robe on down. "Rag" implies something worn out or torn up. Big difference. And while I could care less what you call me or say about me, lots of other people read this who never post and your intolerant, hateful posts infuriate them. Like I said, keep up the good work.
As far as your tax dollars paying for it, I said earlier I agree that the Heritage Museum or another private entity should provide the flags and tax dollars shouldn't. I think I will take 20 dollars up there Monday morning and reimburse the county for the new flag as an interim measure.

Since by your own admission you did not know the flag was even there until this hullabaloo started and by your own admission you don't get by the DFS courthouse very often, I think you can work past your problem. " Stunned to learn that symbol of brutality is flying here. I don't have reason to get to the courthouse." ---Cuff

Last edited:

Cuff

Beach Lover
Feb 3, 2013
Thanks. By your definition rag is indeed the correct term.
I know tons of people who do not post on here either and they are rabid about the comments pro rag people put on here.They are incensed over that theatre of a commissioners meeting. I joined 10 of my neighbors night before last as the rerun of that meeting was played. The couple that hosted the party are life long residents of Walton and everyone of us are from the south. We are in Ms Meadows district and we vote. Of course I was stunned to learn it was on government property. Who in the world would have thought in 2015 that nasty symbol flies at the courthouse. . I have learned a lot more about Walton County during this sad saga and that is my fault.

Again if you and your peeps are offended by my words then maybe you need to be. There is no "compromise" for blatant racism . None. It must be removed from government property.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Thanks. By your definition rag is indeed the correct term.
I know tons of people who do not post on here either and they are rabid about the comments pro rag people put on here.They are incensed over that theatre of a commissioners meeting. I joined 10 of my neighbors night before last as the rerun of that meeting was played. The couple that hosted the party are life long residents of Walton and everyone of us are from the south. We are in Ms Meadows district and we vote. Of course I was stunned to learn it was on government property. Who in the world would have thought in 2015 that nasty symbol flies at the courthouse. . I have learned a lot more about Walton County during this sad saga and that is my fault.

Again if you and your peeps are offended by my words then maybe you need to be. There is no "compromise" for blatant racism . None. It must be removed from government property.

I bet that was a heck of a party! With a lot of wry laughter I am sure.

The supporters of removing this flag are a very diverse group. Black and white, Republican and Democrat, North Walton and South Walton, church-going vs. go the beach on Sunday, natives and transplants, liberal and conservative, old and young, residents and our economy's base, visitors- all joined together because they know that flying any confederate flag on government property is just wrong on so many levels.

Just one more example of Walton County's excuse for everything - "it's always been done here". That attitude needs to go away if there is to be any REAL progress in economic development, improvement in our school system, and more effective county government. It just works so well. ;)

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
This is a long article but explains why the heritage not hate argument is so flawed.

http://www.organicstudentministry.com/?p=62195#more-62195

The crux-

Here is the problem with the “it’s not racist, it is a symbol of our heritage” argument. It makes assumptions about the static nature of symbols that are simply wrong.

The meaning of symbols are fluid, they are never static. When a majority of people understand the symbol to point to another definition then the definition of that symbol changes.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Oh cuff, what a wicked web we weave....... a "piece of cloth" could imply anything from a royal robe on down. "Rag" implies something worn out or torn up. Big difference. And while I could care less what you call me or say about me, lots of other people read this who never post and your intolerant, hateful posts infuriate them. Like I said, keep up the good work.
As far as your tax dollars paying for it, I said earlier I agree that the Heritage Museum or another private entity should provide the flags and tax dollars shouldn't. I think I will take 20 dollars up there Monday morning and reimburse the county for the new flag as an interim measure.

Since by your own admission you did not know the flag was even there until this hullabaloo started and by your own admission you don't get by the DFS courthouse very often, I think you can work past your problem. " Stunned to learn that symbol of brutality is flying here. I don't have reason to get to the courthouse." ---Cuff

Danny we have spoken often enough that you understand my participation on this issue. It is a piece of cloth and I have no particular allegiance to it or any other flag for that matter. I'm just liberal, agnostic and thankful enough to realize that I live in a free country where I don't have to worship where the masses do and I'm not forced by a minority or majority to pledge any particular allegiance/respect to a government, country or religious affiliation, most of which I have been sorely disappointed in for a very long time. Is it still the best of the worst? Yes, it is.

Was I foolish or naive enough to think that in a "politically correct society" that there could be some sort of compromise? Well, as I said to Kurt in another thread, I do have a dream too. Am I radically liberal enough to believe in the natural goodness of people and the autonomy of us as individuals to believe in civil and political liberties...maybe so. Would I be a part of any group who would attempt to further divide the community I profess to love by hurting us economically by rallying the NAACP, threatening to sue (another divisive tactic) or calling in the FBI and reporting bogus hate crimes? Assuredly not, I'm just not that radical!!

Last edited:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
This is a long article but explains why the heritage not hate argument is so flawed.

http://www.organicstudentministry.com/?p=62195#more-62195

The crux-

Here is the problem with the “it’s not racist, it is a symbol of our heritage” argument. It makes assumptions about the static nature of symbols that are simply wrong.

The meaning of symbols are fluid, they are never static. When a majority of people understand the symbol to point to another definition then the definition of that symbol changes.

I've read this before and it's excellent. The confederate flag issue is a hard one. It really does divide people, and not due to "outside forces".. It's always been an object of debate and division. I admire other cities and towns whose leadership made the best choice for their communities, without petitions, without votes. They removed the object of division against the wishes of many and decided to move forward with an American flag or a state flag. Looking to a future without the tarnished image of the confederate flag. Did they ban it? No. Your freedoms are still intact.

The flag stands for many things. This is the heart of the matter. When we refuse to look at the whole thing with all its meanings, then we can't ever heal that division. If we allow it to fly on our Courthouse, in any form, we perpetuate that division in our community.

I'm sorry that our BCC couldn't see past the flag into the future of Walton County. But we will have a BCC with the courage to do so another time. When you vote, ask the candidates about their stance on a flag that represents everyone with fairness.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011

If you are suggesting that the "take it down" group is the majority in this county...put it to a vote!

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Don't move to Foley Al if the flag offends you.

Was there yesterday traveling back from Mobile and I have never seen as many Confederate flags on display in my life.

There was a store that had about 25 flags flying on display for sell.

Had a parking lot full of customers.

Every size 3x5, 5x7 and one of the largest I've ever seen.

Last edited:

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
I've read this before and it's excellent. The confederate flag issue is a hard one. It really does divide people, and not due to "outside forces".

Who called the NAACP Teresa? Who called the FBI to report hate crimes? Who has threatened to sue? People who were not born and raised here but who migrated here! By any other definition they are "outside forces" and they are trying to tell people with whom they disagree what something means to them because of what real people (like the KKK) who commit real hate crimes have done with it.

That absolutely is not who the people in Walton County, that are fighting to keep and preserve their heritage are about and the continued attacks on them by radicals who disagree with them are just as hateful, divisive and racist as those they accuse.