• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
I have been called a glutton for punishment but I will try this one more time.
1. The flag, historic marker and monument are part of a memorial to Confederate war dead from Walton County. The monument was paid for by a Ladies Association and the State of Florida provided the marker. I believe the flag should be provided by a non-profit or the Heritage Museum and not tax dollars and I am going to try and fix that myself.
2. The flag flies over the memorial, it DOES NOT fly over the courthouse.
3. No one supports slavery, segregation or racism. The flag is a part of our history just as the British, French, Spanish and various American flags are. History is neutral, it cannot be changed and the study of it will enrich your life and prepare you to be a better citizen. That is why it is taught in school.
4. The monument has been a part of the courthouse scene since the 1870's. There was an issue about where the monument should be located, the courthouse or the Euchee Church and the Florida Supreme Court ruled that it belonged at the courthouse in 1874. It was moved to DFS when the county seat moved from Eucheeanna to DeFuniak Springs.
5. The flag was added in 1964 and the marker added in 1967. At the April 1964 BCC meeting the board voted to erect a flag and request the State add the historic marker. This information can be found in the April 16, 1964 DeFuniak Herald. No mention was made about protesting anything, in fact the Civil Rights Act was passed in July 1964 and desegregation did not occur fully until 1969. No one knows for sure why these actions were taken. Everyone has already made their own guesses but that is all they are.
6. The "Southern Cross" or "X" flag flew at Walton High School until the early 1970's. It was the center of rioting and serious trouble after desegregation in 1970 and the merger of Walton High School and Tivoli High School. During the early 1970's the flag was taken down and the school band prohibited from playing "Dixie" which had served as the school fight song. By the mid 1970's the fight song had become a rock song "The Horse."
7. During this same era the hand at the top of the monument was stolen. It was replaced through donations within the last 5 years and the memorial rededicated.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
I have no idea if it is true or not but there was indeed a rumor that the Uhfelders had called the FBI to report some sort of threat they had allegedly received. I have no idea if any of it is true as i have no contact with the Uhfelders, but if they have been threatened the Sheriff should have been called to deal with it. He and his staff can handle that sort of thing with one hand tied behind them. Threatening people is uncalled for and unnecessary. The only violence or disturbance I have heard of in Walton County was a Black man allegedly tore a flag off a truck at the intersection of 331 and 90 in DeFuniak Springs. The man was charged with destruction of private property. That sort of behavior is uncalled for and unnecessary as well.
I read a pretty intense exchange yesterday between 2 of my friends, both of whom I have known since childhood, over one stating that the 1964 BCC was racist. The other party had a grandfather on that board who he knew to not be racist. Making derogatory comments about someone's ancestors is serious business in the South. Just saying.

By their own admission the Uhlfelder's have said they would stop at nothing to ensure the flag's removal, also admitting they have called or written pretty much every news group they could think of and/or other more radical factions to accomplish the goal. It's not inconceivable that someone may have taken it too far by the opposition (I don't condone that) and threatened them but the majority of the people who want to "keep it have worked diligently to keep it civil and law-abiding.

I agree that if in fact a threat did occur, our local Sheriff is quite capable of dealing with that sort of stupidity. Do I think it reached and FBI level? ...LOL ... NO ... but "perception" is everything.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
19919_892753580795751_7021957210904624992_n.jpg

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
I for one have always cared deeply about lions. That idiotic graphic is a typical example of conservastive projection. Always knowing what's on other people's minds and what their intentions are.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
Very impressive young man who was making his first public speech. The organizers of the keep the flag group are people like him, in his age group, who have never been involved in politics before.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
My husband made a great suggestion. Put Danny's explanation of "heritage not hate" on a plaque, and put it on the flagpole so any visitors to the courthouse will have an explanation for flying a confederate flag on government property.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
My husband made a great suggestion. Put Danny's explanation of "heritage not hate" on a plaque, and put it on the flagpole so any visitors to the courthouse will have an explanation for flying a confederate flag on government property.

Yeah, that ranks up there with "I am not a crook" and "Some of my best friends are _____."