• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
It's Andy's fault. I could see the door closing, but his foot got in the way...put your seat belts back on.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
From the Defuniak Herald

Just got this in an email- AL
Tallahassee Chamber Opts to Not Hold 2016 Conference in Walton County, Florida August 5, 2015

The Greater Tallahassee Chamber of Commerce announced today that it will not hold its long-scheduled 2016 Annual Community Conference in Walton County, Florida next August because of the county’s failure to remove a confederate flag from its courthouse. The Chamber, however, will honor its legal and contracted obligation to hold its 2015 Annual Community Conference next week for 550 attendees at the Sandestin Hilton.
“By unanimous decision, our executive committee agreed today that our Chamber will not hold its planned 2016 community conference in Walton County because of the divisive decision by the county commission there to continue to embrace a symbol of hatred at its public courthouse,” said Rick Moore, chairman of The Chamber. “With less than a week before our 2015 conference at the Sandestin Hilton, we will go forward with that contracted event to focus on unifying our diverse community even more on a positive agenda aimed at boosting economic vitality for all members of our community.”
Chamber president Sue Dick explained that the Annual Community Conference has grown over the past 20 years into “the most important yearly gathering of leaders from business, government and non-profits to deepen collaboration and cooperation on priority issues that advance economic growth and improve the quality of life.”
“The fellowship and friendship that the conference fosters have become as important as the major issues that are discussed and goals that are adopted,” said Dick. “For the hundreds of people who annually look forward to this shared community and family time together, we’re going to make this a successful and enjoyable event.”
Last week, The Chamber expressed strong disagreement and disappointment in the Walton County Commission’s vote that resulted in one confederate flag replacing another at the county courthouse – instead of removing it altogether.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Do I ever have some very strong words to say to the Chamber of Commerce, a body I have always respected and supported.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Do I ever have some very strong words to say to the Chamber of Commerce, a body I have always respected and supported.

Andy, this is the kind of political clout Uhlfelder has in Tallahassee.

bentley williams

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
SoWal
Tallahassee Chamber Opts to Not Hold 2016 Conference in Walton County, Florida

The Greater Tallahassee Chamber of Commerce announced Wednesday that it will not hold its Annual Community Conference in Walton County, Florida next August because of the county’s failure to remove a confederate flag from its courthouse. The Chamber, however, will honor its legal and contracted obligation to hold its 2015 Annual Community Conference next week for 550 attendees at the Sandestin Hilton.

Last week, The Chamber expressed strong disagreement and disappointment in the Walton County Commission’s vote that resulted in one confederate flag replacing another at the county courthouse – instead of removing it altogether.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Actions sometimes have very predictable consequences. Remember how much convention and tourism business Arizona lost over the MLK Holiday flap some years back.

On the bright side if you really want to reduce tourism in Walton County, you might have found a way to do that.