• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Why does Jesus hate the Confederacy, I wonder?

One of the biggest issues I have with Christianity is that people use it to create an oral argument that really has no regard for the truth.

Neither Jesus, St. Paul or any other biblical figure is ever recorded as saying anything in opposition to slavery and it was very much a part of life in Judea, Galilee and the rest of the Roman Empire during New Testament times and continued into the 19th century.

To infer that only the Confederacy owned slaves is a misnomer also.

Cuff

Beach Lover
Feb 3, 2013
Yeah right.an African American man needed pressure to avoid these backwaters. His letter expresses his self dignity. Politics has nothing to do with my stand on this matter. Rather I think about every black person in this county that is insulted and assaulted by ugly relic on government property. That ain't politics my man .

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
No. It isn't political. It's deeply cultural. Many conservatives have come out against the flag, and not just recently. There are mixed feelings on the matter from apathy to strongly wanting to keep it flying for "pride and heritage". I believe Mayor Gillum when he goes into the details for his decision not to attend the conference in Sandestin. He has constituents and family to consider among other thoughts - I appreciate his words and stance on the issue. If only our community could consider the consequences of this flag flying over everyone (not just their pride and heritage) - but Walton County has made its decision - it's a decision we all have to live with but we don't all have to be proud of it.

Secondly, I am not going to Walton County. While the Chamber of Commerce had a business and logistical decision to make with regard to this years' conference, in addition to these concerns, my decision emanates from several additional factors. I serve as the mayor of Florida's Capital City. I am a black man, husband and father to two precious children, who need to look up to their father as an example of moral and principled leadership. I am still grieving over my friend and colleague, Rev. Clementa Pinckney of South Carolina's Emanuel AME Church, having been murdered under the premise of Confederate ideology. I learned from my ancestors at a very early age that if you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Cuff

Beach Lover
Feb 3, 2013
The other African American gentlemen who have decided to attend this year give reasonable explanations. They are attending to make a point by their presence , voting with their feet if you will.
There was a vote on the policy of flying that thing. It is not law. I will never accept it and intend to do everything I can to see that wrong policy changed. I am not part of any organized effort to remove the thing in fact I know none of them. Might try to meet up with them though.

The lesser of two evils is still evil.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
One of the biggest issues I have with Christianity is that people use it to create an oral argument that really has no regard for the truth.

Neither Jesus, St. Paul or any other biblical figure is ever recorded as saying anything in opposition to slavery and it was very much a part of life in Judea, Galilee and the rest of the Roman Empire during New Testament times and continued into the 19th century.

To infer that only the Confederacy owned slaves is a misnomer also.

Who said anything about slavery? You posted an unattributed explanation that the red in the battle flag represents the blood of Christ and he would stand with the CSA (or some such baloney). I'm just pointing out that either Jesus didn't care about the CSA, was a bigger fan of the USA, does not exist, or some combination of those three. Or more likely he doesn't care that much. When people start waging wars claiming a god is on their side, they start to sound kind of ISISish, don't they? Perhaps the CSA should have consulted Allah, his guys seem to be doing pretty well at the moment. Way better than the now dead and gone forever CSA.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Who said anything about slavery? You posted an unattributed explanation that the red in the battle flag represents the blood of Christ and he would stand with the CSA (or some such baloney). I'm just pointing out that either Jesus didn't care about the CSA, was a bigger fan of the USA, does not exist, or some combination of those three. Or more likely he doesn't care that much. When people start waging wars claiming a god is on their side, they start to sound kind of ISISish, don't they? Perhaps the CSA should have consulted Allah, his guys seem to be doing pretty well at the moment. Way better than the now dead and gone forever CSA.

Most everyone on this forum who is against the flag remaining where it is has stated that the flag and the confederacy represented hate, bigotry, racism and slavery.

You also asked the question WWJD? or Why does Jesus hate the Confederacy...assuming he does.

Cuff

Beach Lover
Feb 3, 2013
Mr Voice
That was bad business. Poor Irish could not afford to go to war so they had to blame some one and they blamed poor black people. Nothing new there. Is that riot your basis for keeping that vile symbol on government property ?

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
The moral high ground huh? The north OWNED SLAVES and were just as guilty as the South ever dreamed of being.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
The ownership of slaves in most northern states ended in the late 1700's.