• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Beauford

Beach Lover
Jun 23, 2015
The homeowners of Gulf Place want you to know of a pending hearing of the Walton County Planning Board for a petition to develop 40 condos and a 50 bed hotel in the vicinity of Gulf Place. This will, in the opinion of the homeowners, overtax the current infrastructure to the point of creating a significant problem not only for the residents and guests of Gulf Place but also to the public at large.

If you agree, please check out the online petition at:

www.ipetitions.com/petition/stop-the-gulf-place-hotel

The hearing with the Planning Commission is this Thursday August 13th at 5:00 pm at the South Annex.

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
Just wanted to say that after signing the petition, the next page asks for
a donation. This is not necessary for your signature to be recorded. You
can simply close the browser window and be done with it.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
Stopping development is not an option. Creating an incorporated city with excellent leadership of growth and development - that's a real option for a growing town like ours.

Stopping development IS an option, even if an unlikely one. I'm afraid you have the mentality most others do about SoWal. That it can grow and be managed like other locales.

REMEMBER - we are an island. An island has limited room to grow and limited infrastructure possibilities. Our island is already past capacity and we should be thinking about bringing development to a halt because even if it stops today we will have many more permanent residents flowing in.

There are thousands of new housing units coming our way that are a done deal.

Freeport (from bayshore to I-10) is going to grow at such an alarming rate in coming years it will make your head spin. Tens of thousands of new housing units. You think South Walton has a problem now? Freeport is going to be like a boulder on our heads.

As for leadership ad professionalism, I think you're mistaking ego and grandstanding for leadership. Don't get fooled into thinking a small group of folks griping online are actually going to be able to make things better. Ans as we've seen in the past and present, developers have the money and have bought your paradise.

Beachlover2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 17, 2005
SoWal
So if you are trying to stop growth entirely - does this mean the lot I bought 10 years ago is worthless - because if you stop growth entirely I can't build my house on it someday or sell it.

Jenksy

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2012
So if you are trying to stop growth entirely - does this mean the lot I bought 10 years ago is worthless - because if you stop growth entirely I can't build my house on it someday or sell it.

Single family homes and lots probably wouldn't be affected. What would happen is the hurdles and costs to do subdivisions and multi-family would become prohibitive. You can't impinge on rights but you can make it too difficult through fees and ordinances, building regulations, etc. You can also regulate through your planning department how many cases they can physically handle. Make zoning and approvals more restrictive.

Taxes would go up. Existing homes would go up. SIngle family lots would go up.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Stopping development IS an option, even if an unlikely one. I'm afraid you have the mentality most others do about SoWal. That it can grow and be managed like other locales.

REMEMBER - we are an island. An island has limited room to grow and limited infrastructure possibilities. Our island is already past capacity and we should be thinking about bringing development to a halt because even if it stops today we will have many more permanent residents flowing in.

There are thousands of new housing units coming our way that are a done deal.

Freeport (from bayshore to I-10) is going to grow at such an alarming rate in coming years it will make your head spin. Tens of thousands of new housing units. You think South Walton has a problem now? Freeport is going to be like a boulder on our heads.

As for leadership ad professionalism, I think you're mistaking ego and grandstanding for leadership. Don't get fooled into thinking a small group of folks griping online are actually going to be able to make things better. Ans as we've seen in the past and present, developers have the money and have bought your paradise.

There are many ways our beach town is unique from other locales including the 40% preserved land. But we can and should expect leadership and proper growth management. Not with our current county level government. But we can push for self governance, which is a natural progression when a town's population explodes along with infrastructure needs.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Realizing that there are issues with what is going on, but isn't kind of funny that one part of the problem is complaining about the worsening of the situation. Just my opinion.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Chelco News in regard to growth...

Three areas in CHELCO’s service territory are experiencing significant growth. Santa Rosa Beach, Mossy Head and Freeport are seeing new residential developments, as well as commercial and retail establishments.
A healthy real estate market brings more residents, year-round and seasonal, and encourages a stronger economic environment and a more vibrant community.
In the first six months of 2015, CHELCO’s engineering and operations departments have completed more projects than in all of 2014, and the trend continues. Both Santa Rosa Beach and Freeport’s Hammock Bay have plans for new development.
The opening of Mossy Head’s industrial park is creating hundreds of new jobs in the area. Currently the park includes Love’s Truck Stop, McDonalds, Sleep Inn and Empire Trucking with an I-10 Service Center, Southern Tire Mart, Walton County Sheriff’s substation and FedEx distribution centers expected to follow. The new FedEx ground distribution center will operate 24-hours a day, 365 days a year and is projected to open late next year.
CHELCO Vice President of Engineering Matthew Avery said they have upgraded their infrastructure in Mossy Head in anticipation of the increased load in that area.
While Mossy Head is leading the charge of new businesses, the announcement of Publix Super Market in Freeport is also causing excitement. The project is much anticipated in the community and has been a long time in the making.

Originally Posted by WZEP

Last edited: