• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BeachMac

Beach Lover
Oct 3, 2008
Does anyone know what happened at the public hearing today? We got the time wrong and missed it but are concerned about what we heard was a condo/mixed use development in Historic Pt Washington.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert D

Beach Lover
Jul 2, 2008
www.seasidefl.com
Probably Artisan Square - don't know details but I hope old PW get some cool low impact development where folks could live, work, and play. There is an overlay there that keeps density low.

BeachMac

Beach Lover
Oct 3, 2008
It was Artisan Square - right after I posted the question, we decided to stop by the courthouse even though we'd be two hours late just in case it was still going on... I didn't realize the dockets are so long, so we had oodles of time before it even came up on the agenda for discussion. Was relieved to hear it doesn't sound like it will be condos which was the rumor we heard, but instead a mixed-use comprised of "5 residential lots and 15,456 square feet of commercial and restaurant use on 3.024 acres". I couldn't tell the quality of the materials from the drawings - and that varies so much down here in terms of scale and character. I'd hate to see something that looked cheaply built in such a historic area, so I am hoping it will be in keeping with some of South Walton's better developments.

This was my first planning commission meeting... was a little concerned that the rationale for voting as evidenced by the final words of the voting board members before the "yay" votes was several of them saying "It could be worse" (with two members never talking at all during the process nor asking questions). I might be naive, but "it could be worse" isn't a measuring stick I like to hear when planning commission members are making exceptions and granting development code variations.

Now that it passing the Planning Commission does it still have to go to the Board of County Commissioners? New to how all this works and when/how things are a done deal.

A quality low-density development that provides a setting for Pt. Washington residents to gather in community could be a welcome addition in the right hands. A "general store"/Coffee shop was part of the description.
If I am remembering correctly, the developer's name was Onno Horn. The Engineer did most of the talking, he was with Henderson Engineering & Consulting.

Cuff

Beach Lover
Feb 3, 2013
Like you I am just finding out how these Bubbas on the commission work here. It was cut and dried before you got there. They really only look at the potential for added real estate taxes because SoWal pays the tab for the whole county. Don't mean to be cynical but sadly it is reality.

Jackalope

Beach Lover
Jan 24, 2015
Onno has been a custom homebuilder in the area for a while and has built in upscale communities including WaterColor and I think in Alys Beach....Curacao.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
Cuff, that is truly uncalled for. The reason South Walton has so many up-scale developments and has the height limits and is NOT PCB or Destin is because the "Bubbas" made it that way many years ago. More revenue comes from exclusivity and high end development, not junk so building junk is in no one's interest. And do not forget that the first 150 years of Walton County history were paid for by North Walton. South Walton did not really begin to develop until 1974 or so. Not only is your comment cynical, but it is not based on reality.

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
Cuff, that is truly uncalled for. The reason South Walton has so many up-scale developments and has the height limits and is NOT PCB or Destin is because the "Bubbas" made it that way many years ago. More revenue comes from exclusivity and high end development, not junk so building junk is in no one's interest. And do not forget that the first 150 years of Walton County history were paid for by North Walton. South Walton did not really begin to develop until 1974 or so. Not only is your comment cynical, but it is not based on reality.

Agree he was being too broad.

Yet things have changed a lot in last 20 years. Greed has taken over and big money has come to SoWal. I think the planning department and commission have become quite a machine. The individuals might have some lofty ideas and be community minded, but the big money has the influence. I'm sure many planning commissioners are upset that their advice is often ignored by the county commissioners.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
Truman, I would narrow the time frame to the last 10 years but not a big deal. For the most part we have had pretty good results. The biggest failure is not being more proactive in building infrastructure and not following the LDC and Comp Plan. All government tends to be reactive instead of proactive and the result is we are constantly behind on infrastructure. But I think a majority of the current BCC is working to fund more and better roads, better parking and more beach access. A problem in the past has been paying for studies but failing to implement the suggestions. There seems to be a commitment not to do that with last year's parking study but we will see.
Where we get into trouble on the planning side is granting variances to the code. If the code is wrong then change it, but otherwise live by it.

BeachMac

Beach Lover
Oct 3, 2008
Danny, that was my concern - what is the point of a code when someone gets approval for a variance to more than double the intensity of two parts of the TND code. In this case I came around to it because the increased percentages (over 50% if my memory serves) were replacing the removal of multi-family units. They were asking for and did receive "yays" for make variances to the code... Most were good and the developer seemed open to modifying some of the things that citizens were most concerned about (i.e. parallel parking on Eden and a outdoor sound variance).

A nearby resident brought up the valid point that Eden Landing was set up to be mixed-use commercial and is just sitting there gathering tumbleweeds (my word - his vernacular was more professional) after being platted and trees cut. If that speaks to supply and demand, that is not a blight I'd want to see repeated on a major corner in the historic section. I think his point was that the developer of Artisan Square didn't have it funded on the front end for built-out yet, and what is to stop Eden's Landing from happening again. Any reason why the county doesn't require proof of funds or bonds before a project breaks ground? (If that might help prevent abandoned developments like those sitting around the last 10 years.)