• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
~The same poll also said that 55% of the people polled said they thought that the Confederate flag should not be flown on public property. You aren't doing your cause any favors by cherry picking. Try telling the whole truth.

I don't care where its flown. That's your issue which makes it your truth to tell. I only looked at the overall views of what the flag means to most Americans.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
~The same poll also said that 55% of the people polled said they thought that the Confederate flag should not be flown on public property. You aren't doing your cause any favors by cherry picking. Try telling the whole truth.

We read the poll a while back. The poll gives completely different results for blacks.

I think the poll gives a pretty accurate picture. Some feel it's southern pride and some feel it's a symbol of racism. And interesting numbers according to education level. Very clear results for blacks, almost opposite of whites. One thing's for sure it's a symbol of divisiveness wherever it flies.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
We read the poll a while back these numbers selected by misty are whites only. The poll gives completely different results for blacks.

I think the poll gives a pretty accurate picture. Some feel it's southern pride and some feel it's a symbol of racism. And interesting numbers according to education level. Very clear results for blacks, almost opposite of whites. One thing's for sure it's a symbol of divisiveness wherever it flies.

I completely understand why blacks would feel the way they do. However, the folks I know and defended never owned slaves and aren't responsible for what occurred 100's of years ago or as recently as the Civil Rights movement.

VoiceOfReason

Beach Comber
Jan 11, 2015
Florida has one of the biggest black populations in the country. Black families choose to live in larger metro cities and areas where jobs and industry are located. After nearly 30 years living and traveling in Florida, I've seen that beach towns are almost always very white communities unless located in or near a large city such as Miami or Jacksonville.

It's a good question but could be asked without the insulting insinuations and name calling. Good manners go a long way when trying to find common ground.

As I've mentioned earlier in this thread, South Walton has its own diversity that comes from people moving here from many places. We are seeing African American families move or visit here, though not at a huge rate by any means. Where do blacks move to and why? There is a list of American cities online that shows this. None are beach towns.

If you go to Panama City Beach or Fort Walton Beach you see a MUCH higher African American population then Sowal

Cuff

Beach Lover
Feb 3, 2013
Will somebody please define "Southern Heritage" or "southern pride" for me. I've been a southerner my entire life, but I don't get it, especially used in the context of the Confederate flag. Please enlighten me.

Exactly ! When I watched that dog and pony show of a meeting I heard things from the pro rag group like, " that flag reminds me of my grandmas fried chicken " and " that flag to me is about hot days". . Did not make that up watch the video. Pathetic and beyond ignorant. They can not define "heritage " beyond some notion of holding on to a war we lost and glorifying slavery. Signifying nothing but the vain glory of pigmentation and some kind of inferiority that insists on white supremacy.

A few months ago we had the privilege of meeting the woman who would shape the life of our grandson as he embarks on his formal education. Other grandparents and parents went out of their way to exclaim how lucky our boy was to have drawn this woman as his teacher. I don't dare describe her in detail for fear that some on this site might know her. She would not want attention and my words might put her at risk. But what a regal, self effacing , loving , intelligent soul she is. I don't know if she will change my grandsons life but she surely has changed mine.

I stumbled on this site and this issue . As an old guy , that my daughter sometimes calls Babbitt (ouch) , who would have thought that I would have become so impassioned ? Well Mrs... gets the honor and blame! And my daughter and wife and of course the boy. This boy will know the sordid history of our south. He will most certainly know what " heritage" means in our lives, ie, music, food, and style and the greatest regional voices in the world : William Faulkner, Eudora Welty, Delmar Haynes, Carson McCullers, Harper Lee, Tennessee Williams, Cormac McCarrthy, and Donna Tartte to name only a few. And I have read them and thought I had some empathy, despite what my daughter might say, (ha) but until I met Mrs. ... did the lights go on.

How in the world do we allow that despicable rag fly in her face ? How in the world can my grandson possibly respect and honor her while that ugly symbol spits at her simply because of her pigmentation? Why in the world would we want to hoist a symbol of bondage that demeans anyone? On government property ?

I am not ready to vote for Bernie Sanders . hahah. But because of that mockery of justice those callous chicken sh... commissioners held and because of comments on this page and mostly because of Mrs....and because I want my boy to be better than me I might start listening . ( ok my daughter just read this and might need the squad). .
The lesser of two evils is still evil.

Not on government property.

Not on government property!

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
If you go to Panama City Beach or Fort Walton Beach you see a MUCH higher African American population then Sowal

Panama City, yes, not PCB. And both are much larger, incorporated areas with a range of industry, housing, average or below average living cost, with military bases. Very different from our tiny island resort with small pockets of local neighborhoods and pure tourism base. Not to be compared. Destin is our only neighbor somewhat similar in scope and population, etc. You'll also find more diverse population in Tallahassee and Pensacola (not Pensacola Beach).

I believe the point is that South Walton is a very unique community, compared to other beach towns such as Anna Maria Island, where the focus is beach/bay community with little else besides tourism, hospitality, real estate, restaurants, shops, resorts, second home owners. With local people working, living and raising families. It is a lovely community but unique because it's so limited in industry, population, infrastructure and typical city services. The growth rate is quite high from what I can tell by our schools and new businesses. Many people choosing to move here with or without job and city opportunities typical in other towns.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Exactly ! When I watched that dog and pony show of a meeting I heard things from the pro rag group like, " that flag reminds me of my grandmas fried chicken " and " that flag to me is about hot days". . Did not make that up watch the video. Pathetic and beyond ignorant. They can not define "heritage " beyond some notion of holding on to a war we lost and glorifying slavery. Signifying nothing but the vain glory of pigmentation and some kind of inferiority that insists on white supremacy.

A few months ago we had the privilege of meeting the woman who would shape the life of our grandson as he embarks on his formal education. Other grandparents and parents went out of their way to exclaim how lucky our boy was to have drawn this woman as his teacher. I don't dare describe her in detail for fear that some on this site might know her. She would not want attention and my words might put her at risk. But what a regal, self effacing , loving , intelligent soul she is. I don't know if she will change my grandsons life but she surely has changed mine.

I stumbled on this site and this issue . As an old guy , that my daughter sometimes calls Babbitt (ouch) , who would have thought that I would have become so impassioned ? Well Mrs... gets the honor and blame! And my daughter and wife and of course the boy. This boy will know the sordid history of our south. He will most certainly know what " heritage" means in our lives, ie, music, food, and style and the greatest regional voices in the world : William Faulkner, Eudora Welty, Delmar Haynes, Carson McCullers, Harper Lee, Tennessee Williams, Cormac McCarrthy, and Donna Tartte to name only a few. And I have read them and thought I had some empathy, despite what my daughter might say, (ha) but until I met Mrs. ... did the lights go on.

How in the world do we allow that despicable rag fly in her face ? How in the world can my grandson possibly respect and honor her while that ugly symbol spits at her simply because of her pigmentation? Why in the world would we want to hoist a symbol of bondage that demeans anyone? On government property ?

I am not ready to vote for Bernie Sanders . hahah. But because of that mockery of justice those callous chicken sh... commissioners held and because of comments on this page and mostly because of Mrs....and because I want my boy to be better than me I might start listening . ( ok my daughter just read this and might need the squad). .

Not on government property.

Not on government property!

Playing the world's saddest song on the world's smallest violin!

images

This is what calling people chicken sh.. and ignorant gets you.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
My big toe is prettier than that thing.