• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BeachMac

Beach Lover
Oct 3, 2008
Does anyone know why our district's commissioner wasn't there to vote and participate in the decision (per the newspaper article)?

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Same reason that C. Jones "missed" the vote on the rebel flag issue...

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Its not often I agree with John G but his post above is right on IMO. It is time to consider if we even need a TDC structured as it is now. I say no, bed tax money can be put to better use.

Andy, the TDC is structured the way it is due to State Statutes. If you change those you can have leeway. In the meantime it's going to remain a marketing machine.

Personally I think it's time to do away with the TDC completely. Believe it or not, but not having bed tax will bring more than any crappy marketing campaign would.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I heard that too, but that would give the right to a private company to levy and collect taxes, and I don't think it would go over very well.

bentley williams

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
SoWal
I heard that too, but that would give the right to a private company to levy and collect taxes, and I don't think it would go over very well.
Why not just collect as usual and pay out like any other contract? Although it seems complicated if you have to bid it out. How do other locales do it?

Robert D

Beach Lover
Jul 2, 2008
www.seasidefl.com
TDC and CVB are different names for similar organizations. A Tourist Development Council is more of a government term for an organization that advises a county commission on spending taxes collected.

Tourist Development Council (TDC) is the governing body that oversees the collection and distribution of the local-option tourist development tax authorized to counties by Florida Statutes.

A destination marketing organization (DMO) or convention and visitors bureau (CVB) is an organization that promotes a town, city, region, or country in order to increase the number of visitors. It promotes the development and marketing of a destination, focusing on convention sales, tourism marketing, and services.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The Bay County Tourist Development Council (TDC) contracts marketing and promotional activities with the Panama City Beach Convention & Visitors Bureau (CVB). The TDC is comprised of nine members appointed by the Bay County Board of County Commissioners. TDC and CVB activities are funded by the Tourist Development Tax (TDT).

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This indicates the Walton TDC could continue to exist to collect taxes and advise the BCC, and could contract out services to a CVB. Beach Maintenance, trash pickup, bike path maintenance, walkovers, etc. could go under Walton County Public Works, or contracted out.