• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Should the taxpayers pay for a fully outfitted gym too?

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Oh wait...the taxpayers already paid for a fully outfitted gym on the 2nd floor of the Sheriff's office....perhaps we should also pay for a spa and a sauna too!

And his new budget increase....only a cool 3 MILLION DOLLARS!!!

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
I'm not going to complain about a gym for the cops. If ever there was a job that deserved it, that's it. Long hours sitting in a patrol car, lots of stress.... in fact the more I think about it, the more I think it's essential.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
While officer fitness is essential, only about 1/2 of the deputies I see are in shape...

I recall one high ranking member actually resigned due to not being able to complete the fitness test...

Gym equipment for fire and police is important. I think putting a dispatcher on a stationary bike, filming it and putting it out there is yet another attempt at "look at me" "look at all we do", when the focus needs to be on crime prevention.

Do we really have so much money in the Sheriff's Department that we can take time to do this (set up a bike, film it, etc).

Seems like a bit much...

Maybe if Mike paid this much attention to the local corruption we'd get somewhere.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
I'm not going to complain about a gym for the cops. If ever there was a job that deserved it, that's it. Long hours sitting in a patrol car, lots of stress.... in fact the more I think about it, the more I think it's essential.

I'm not complaining about a gym for cops...I think they should all stay physically fit. In fact I do believe that it is part of their job requirement and the re-certification process. They know it's part of the job. My beef is that its not the taxpayers job to see to it you are able to keep your job by remaining physically fit and its NOT OUR JOB to pay for it!!

You wanna go to the gym GO! Pay for it out of your pocket!!

I also sorta think its highly hypocritical of the Sheriff to insist as part of the hiring process that WCSO remain physically fit in order to keep their jobs and that he could also use a dose of his own medicine!

And no one is talking about the white elephant in the room.... A 3 MILLION DOLLAR BUDGET INCREASE.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I think providing fitness center is a long time common practice for many businesses and govt entities. Good benefit for employees and encourages health and fitness.

I can't respond to the budget increase without knowing the programs funded. My guess is expanding force and capital equipment needed for addressing spring break and summer season readiness. Plus other new programs but haven't seen the budget. I do know that expectations are pretty high for law enforcement and public safety in South Walton and along the beaches. So far the sheriff has done a great job ramping up programs and services as needed, responding to more and more seasonal issues every year. We need excellent public safety programs.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
Walton County is not a metropolitan area with a gym every few blocks. Expecting cops to find a convenient gym and pay for it themselves is a bit much,, considering they don't make what a big city cop makes.
Try to keep your issues separate. Complain about corruption but leave the gym out of it. In my opinion it just muddies the waters and makes you look mean spirited.
I'm with Teresa - haven't seen the budget breakdown and I know the county is growing lots. More needs equals more money needed.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
I absolutely knew you would weigh in Teresa with your patent endorsement of anything "Sheriff" related.

You're right too! HUGE corporations do in fact provide fitness centers and day care services for their employees. I don't give a tinkers damn what HUGE corporations do with their money. I care about what the Sheriff does with taxpayers dollars!

Shame on me for thinking that an armored vehicle was TOTALLY unnecessary and a huge waste of taxpayer funds. Shame on me for thinking that sending 13 men to Houston Texas for the death of a fellow officer was OVERKILL when one (1) and a memorial wreath would have made the point!
Shame on me for thinking that it is OUR PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY to keep ourselves healthy and fit to go to our perspective jobs!
Shame on me for thinking a 3 MILLION DOLLAR INCREASE in the Sheriff's budget is BS when this county can't even account for 1 million dollars that went missing 10 years ago and god only knows how much more will come up missing during the audit.
Shame on me for thinking that 3 MILLION DOLLARS dollars would go a long way to supporting infrastructure (IE) jobs in NoWal so that we don't have to listen to the whine about how SoWal supports NoWal.

And the next time you all complain about how SoWal dollars support the north end of the county remember this conversation and the fact that you patently endorse whatever the "Sheriff wants the Sheriff gets"!

Last edited:

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Walton County is not a metropolitan area with a gym every few blocks. Expecting cops to find a convenient gym and pay for it themselves is a bit much,, considering they don't make what a big city cop makes.
Try to keep your issues separate. Complain about corruption but leave the gym out of it. In my opinion it just muddies the waters and makes you look mean spirited.
I'm with Teresa - haven't seen the budget breakdown and I know the county is growing lots. More needs equals more money needed.

Since when did anyone need a fully equipped gym to stay in shape? Miles of sandy white beaches that one could run on, do push ups on not to mention a host of other physical activities that could be done for FREE?

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Shame on you only for making a post and then firing off when others weigh in with different opinions. I am certain that there are many who would agree with your opinion 100%. We all come from a different perspective and experience.

I have worked with fire and emergency responders years ago. Fitness center was always a part of the program. It was always considered essential for emergency responders. Far from a new thing offered for police and fire, as well as many other govt level employees.

Our area is growing like crazy and public safety needs are as well. I am grateful for a sheriff's office that is willing to do the work that's required to keep up with our unique community. Not all sheriff's do this as it takes a huge commitment to leadership, program development, and follow through. The added budget money brings more responsibility and hopefully improved services as well as up to date technology and equipment for officers. $3M isn't a huge increase when you are talking about a law enforcement department covering an entire County. I would like to know more about the new budget.

We may be lacking in good govt and representation in South Walton County
but we have exceptional fire, emergency and public safety services and for that I am extremely grateful. The WCSO has not always been so progressive due to the political nature of the Elected position, good old boys, and lack of consistency in program advances due to the election cycle.. I am liking most of what I see only in the last few years. Though it's not perfect I think we're going in a good direction. If we have to live with crappy infrastructure and poor oversight and planning for our town, at least we can count on public safety and emergency services. I really LIKE living in a safe place. I'm counting on our law enforcement people to keep it that way.

Last edited: