• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

iwishiwasthere

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Tennessee
Does it flood often north of 98 when there are heavy rains? Some of the houses near the water look like they might have issues. Looking for information for a future move to the area. I would hate to buy a house that floods easily.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Long and short of it is that every single thing in South Walton has the potential to flood it's just a matter of severity.

Many of the subdivisions and homes north of 98 are fairly close to bay level, however they generally drain fairly well. It takes a lot of storm water runoff to raise the level of the bay, but during a hurricane it's an entirely different story.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
I have seen both north and south of 98 flooded from just a stalled out front on top of us....wasnt but a few years ago..pretty sure there are pictures on here somewhere. You can also find floodzone maps that are pretty accurate.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Checking a flood zone map is a very good idea. I believe there are some areas in South Walton that are not in flood zones. I don't think some of the Seacrest area is in a flood zone, and there may be other areas.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Does it flood often north of 98 when there are heavy rains? Some of the houses near the water look like they might have issues. Looking for information for a future move to the area. I would hate to buy a house that floods easily.
So when are you moving here iwish? That's exciting. We live on a bayou in Pt Washington and the waters rose to the house only once during a hurricane. But no damage. Get a good realtor.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014

Most of this area is situated in a "swamp". Almost everything has the potential for flooding.

First, I'd suggest (if possible) taking a ride just after a storm and look at the areas you may be interested in. Look for standing water one to two days after a storm event, that's a red flag for me. Ask neighbor's too. Places with wood planks spanning the small front yard swales in certain developments front yards are a sure sign of water issues.

Check to see what and where the Storm Water plan is, don't be surprised if there isn't one... Another red flag. Are there retention ponds?

If you have time, go research the previous post on the three tier County Storm Water Plan, it has a large attachement to it. That outlines some very specific areas that experienced serious flood water issues in April 2014. I'd avoid any of those areas, until the County get's its act together and corrects the challenges in those listed areas.

Finally, I really avoid any new development areas. There is a reason certain areas have homes and others don't. Those properties that have been established should be easy to determine flood risks, simply becasue they have been in existenance and had the rain fall. Those that are "on the table" and in planning or building stages have never experienced significant rain. Thus, its 50 / 50 % and a gamble.

While some realtor types will be quick to disagree, remember this is your investment, choose wisely and find someone not just out there to make a commission.

My quick answer to your initial question is "Yes, it floods north of 98, specifically in the Driftwood area, Chat Holley Area too".

Another option is to go pull the old WCSO road closure announcements and look at which roads were closed when we had heavy rain. That will also give you an indicator.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
It's not just the lot and subdivision you need to investigate. What's around you? Is it built out or is it raw land that could be developed and cause problems?

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
From what I've seen and experienced around here, I wouldn't want to live in a home that wasn't up on pilings. We live in a "flood zone" and when we built, the ACOE permitting process required us to build our home 10' up on pilings. When the heavy rains come, we're dry and our property drains fairly well.