• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
We already have "beach rangers" and spend millions on personnel and equipment to patrol and maintain our beaches..
Yeah but TDC people act like they are servants to tourists and would never want to offend. That's fine but not necessary. We should be polite and firm to guests. We should serve the beach. Not the visitor. Park Rangers know the best way to serve people is to first serve the environment. Set rules and make people follow them or leave.

30ABeachDreamin'

Beach Comber
Aug 20, 2015
The beach is most people's income. I would hate to loose something that is the only way people make money.
BUT I also think that more policing of the beaches in some fashion needs to happen. An active presence if youwill.
I live on the west end of PCB. Yet, I see more and more each year the beach situation getting out of control both in Bay and Walton.
Bay will gladly take your dogs, and bonfires. Sadly since Bay wont take much initiative on the beach hopefully we can follow in the doot steps of any Walton county decision.
Its sad we must police what we all love and enjoy, but the sad truth is people do take advantage and those are the ones needing shut down.

Beachlover2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 17, 2005
SoWal
I have been to 2 beach bonfires in the last few weeks by Pompano Joes. When we went to the one on Oct 3rd there were 5 groups with fires.No one came out to check on permits/compliance etc. The one we went to Oct 17th there were a total of 4 bonfires going - once again no one showed up to check for permits. There were 2 weddings that night - one released about 50 beach balls after the I dos - half of which ended up floating away in the gulf. The other was set up for the reception including dance floor - the next morning I saw hundreds of cigarette butts tossed in the sand from the wedding goers there. Enforcement is key - how can you have a highly visible area like the access by Pompano Joes not being checked for compliance. This isn't a bonfire behind some beach house - this is a public beach access.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
I have been to 2 beach bonfires in the last few weeks by Pompano Joes. When we went to the one on Oct 3rd there were 5 groups with fires.No one came out to check on permits/compliance etc. The one we went to Oct 17th there were a total of 4 bonfires going - once again no one showed up to check for permits. There were 2 weddings that night - one released about 50 beach balls after the I dos - half of which ended up floating away in the gulf. The other was set up for the reception including dance floor - the next morning I saw hundreds of cigarette butts tossed in the sand from the wedding goers there. Enforcement is key - how can you have a highly visible area like the access by Pompano Joes not being checked for compliance. This isn't a bonfire behind some beach house - this is a public beach access.

ENFORCEMENT, ENFORCEMENT, ENFORCEMENT - There is NONE. We pay TDC Code Enforcement gobs of money to write warnings and make friends with vendors.

Time to disband the TDC, privatize it with people who will do their jobs and enforce rules.

I believe the balls being released (plastic) could also been seen a littering... 50 balls is a bit much.

I would suggest taking some photos and sending them to commissioners. I'd also send them an Email that documents you did not see anyone checking permits. That's TDC Code's Job!!!

Geo

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Just sent the below email to our commissioners...

Please ya'll- let's choose our battles. I get the impression that entitled 30Aholes are moving here and are lighting up the BCC and WCSO switchboards complaining about some of the things that make our area so special.

PLEASE SEND EMAIL TO OUR COMMISSONERS REQUESTING THAT THEY NOT END OUR WONDERFUL BEACH RITUALS so that the complaints from the vocal few don't end up ruining it for everyone.

Esteemed Commissioners:

I read on Sowal.com that Walton County is considering ending bonfires on the beach. If this is a rumor then please disregard. But if it is being considered then I am writing to request that WE DO NOT END THIS WONDERFUL TRADITION.

I moved here 10 years ago because of the beauty of the beach but moreso I moved here because of the lifestyle. I love being able to walk my leashed pet. I love being able to enjoy an adult beverage at sunset. I love being able to drive out on Grayton and spend the day playing with all our gear. And I love having beach bonfires.

With all due respect- let's not take the fun out of our way of life.

THESE ARE OUR RITUALS.

I can only assume that if this is being considered it is likely a result of a few very vocal citizens complaining to your offices. But I implore you to seek other solutions (e.g. more strategic enforcement against bad apples, a thorough examination of bonfire vending to determine if this is actually the cause of problems, etc.) before we simply make changes that punish those of us just trying to have a nice time with our family and friends.

Please let's choose our battles and focus on the issues that plague us that truly matter.

Regards, GW

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Please ya'll- let's choose our battles. I get the impression that entitled 30Aholes are moving here and are lighting up the BCC and WCSO switchboards complaining about some of the things that make our area so special.

You have NO IDEA just what all they ENVISION for the rest of us! If jdarg and others have their way SoWal will secede and no one north of the bridge including rednecks and tourists will be allowed on the beaches of Walton County.

Just join their closed group and see for yourself...

DESCRIPTION
This is a page for people to share ideas, thoughts, correspondence and contact information about A Vision for Walton County and Our Quality of Life. Please be constructive. The Administrators may remove posts that are deemed inappropriate or that do not pertain to Walton County and its Quality of Life and Vision. All members must be approved by Administrators. We ask also that all interested people sign in as a person, not a company or anonymous screenname.

Note to Posters: Please refrain from name-calling and inappropriate language and posts that are not constructive to the discussion. This is not a Message Board; it is a Group Page designed for a specific reason. We welcome all points of view as long as they are offered in what we deem to be a constructive manner--if they are simply offered to inflame, offend, or name-call, they will be deleted.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
This message board is a lot more civil, helpful, and free than Facebook. All viewpoints welcome.