• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Sorry it's not fast enough for you BS, but there is a process with government and it's not 30 minutes or less. Best of luck with the impatient and rude approach.

BeachSteelers

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2006
Seagrove
The waiver for a 250' to 20' ft isn't allowable per the codes and the planning director and county attorney have been aware of this since July. The buffer CAN ONLY be waived as part of an adopted neighborhood plan and this isn't one. Yet they still want to slide the waiver through as if this code doesn't exist.
The Storm water pool is to be sited almost on top of the creek behind my home that the developer's surveyor and county environment haven't account for in the CDLPZ number of 12.68%. Been waiting a week for them to reply on this issue. This creek was deemed critical by the Storm Study 2014 the BOCC had done by Adkins.
The plan for 3 bike parking spots is laughable as it's the bare minimum required for their non pedestrian friendly plan. Too walk to it one must cross 395 at an angle thus taking longer to cross that blind turn from the North.
They don't even know when their PUD was changed as they claim a couple of different dates in the documents.
All this would've been a non issue had my wife and I not retained a lawyer. They had no intention of ever working with the neighbors until we got one. We're still waiting for the updated plan as it's suppose to shrink in size and eliminate alcohol and emails requests for seeing it go unanswered.
My request to see the original Hammocks PUD which they claim they are still under is now 2 weeks and counting. Along with my request for emails that's 4 weeks old.
The Sad truth is the County worked for nearly a year with the developer and gave us an 8 day notice while trying to bury the code that will protect our 250' buffer. The County is ok with a storm pool sited 20' from a tributary of western lake since it's just not shown anyway. The County is also OK with forgetting Comp Plan Code L1.13.1.D 5& 6 that doesn't allow for changes to a PUD when the property bisects a scenic corridor that has wetlands, floodplains and uplands which would inhibit large migratory animals access in those protected areas.
Their access from 395 needs to be across a Conservation Easement they started in 1999 that allowed the whole Hammocks PUD for approval which is why they needed to cross my property to do core soil samples.
And another highlight is this property has a Tax bill of $2800. For a 5.77 acres in Seagrove. OK, so only 1.87 acres is upland and developable yet only $2800 a yr in taxes?
The 2006 PUD showed 10 homes in the area and the Tax Land Value is just a hair under $1 million. I think something is off here as well.
The developer did promise to maybe not have trash pickup everyday a 5am so me and my neighbors could sleep in once or twice a week. Good for beach rats and mice i suppose.
The County is Liable for any encroachment and restoration of the wetlands that in their own words in inevitable during construction.
This is the second time my neighbors and I have had to get Legal to protect Seagrove, probably not the last either. We stopped the Horrible Beachclub plan Naturewalk wanted to stuff in across from Whiskey Bravo.
Their original 10% allotment for commercial has been fulfilled by the Regions bank formerly Amsouth. And adding this project would push it to over the 20% the TND? designation allows. No one can even prove when their Land Use of TND came into being.
As for Downtown Seagrove at 395/30A. The parking to will front 395's scenic corridor which isn't allowable but no one can define the word behind so it will be right there. They are missing 8 of 16 reserved spots for the condos. And it's 22% over the limit for impervious surface. Just 22% that not allowable or able for waiving away. Now they don't write 82% ISR instead they write .59 of .60. But when you check the engineering drawing of the plan it's right there at 82%.
If people are worried about Seagrove they have good reasons since by my research nobody on the County cares about it. They only care about the mitigating fees they can bill the developer.
I didn't write the land codes but I can read them and have a belief my taxes are supposed to used to protect everyones rights not just some peoples rights. Abide by the LDC's as they are written or go and change them legally. Anything else isn't acceptable in my opinion.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Please. Go after some development that is going to really make a negative impact. Not after a proposed restaurant/business owned by long time locals who care about creating excellence and within the character of our Community.. Thankful for local people who contribute something good.

Last edited:

BeachSteelers

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2006
Seagrove
Sorry but giving into a corrupt planning dept isn't in my DNA. The Hartley's are nice people but that besides the point. There plan isn't complaint with the LDC as they are written. But people like Teresa, Dyess, Davis, the planning Board and BOCC don't care about any of that do they? So long as someone is nice they can do what they please in Walton County so long as they just drop enough coins from their pockets your good to go? Giving in is what got this County in the mess it is in and adding to it won't help. So I am just a big meany for protect my rights and putting my foot down and opening my mouth. Let them do whatever they want while the 60 residents whom wrote letters against this project should just move on to something else because the developer is nice? No wonder this County is run by Morons and Crooks.
Just keep attacking me for being a big meany for not trying so hard to save some low income service jobs, it's much easier than attacking my valid points regarding our Codes.

WMW

Beach Comber
Mar 28, 2014
I didn't write the land codes but I can read them and have a belief my taxes are supposed to used to protect everyones rights not just some peoples rights. Abide by the LDC's as they are written or go and change them legally.

As a county, I wish we could create, implement, & enforce objective standards that seek to benefit all people that love this community.

I live in Seagrove full time and not affected by this project directly other than additional congestion on 395 which comes with progress. Although after reading comments, I am sympathetic to local homeowner concerns as I would be unhappy with the variance request.

localguy

Beach Crab
Sep 11, 2015
Western Coastal Dune Lake is one of this county's crown jewels. Doesn't the current code only allow for 25% of such a parcel to be developed? Amazed how many people are willing to let this project potentially jeopardize that. The fact this is right on a coastal dune lake and should require extra scrutiny and little or no variance. I get he's lived here a long time but should we just let him do whatever he wishes and build a 250' high rise if he wants to, if some unaffected people cheer it on and claim it is "great" for Seagrove? (even though they were singing a different tune about the Hampton Inn project) Many of us have lived here for a long time too, some all our lives. Can a long time local buy land next to your house and start fracking if they've owned property here longer then most? Everyone needs to play by the same rules and not try to screw over the surrounding neighbors and communities for a quick buck. I'm all for property rights and development but I'm also for not letting a local or anyone else build something that is completely against the existing codes and is going to negatively impact the rights and values of their surrounding neighbors, not to mention the environmental duress it would put on Western Lake

Its not like this is a case of eminent domain where the county came in and took a local's restaurant. The local is cashing/selling out and not leaving space for his market in the V project. (again maximize every dollar) Then turning around and buying a nearby property with the intention to go against all the land codes that were in place when he purchased it.

Attachments

• v.gif
    v.gif
    34.2 KB · Views: 163

WMW

Beach Comber
Mar 28, 2014
Any updates on this project? It is going before planning commission on 12/10 and board members stated at previous meeting additional continuances will not be granted.