• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
It's never been this bad. Ever. I've lived here since 1983 and I cannot remember it lasting more than a few days at a time. Warmer water temperatures, more nitrates entering the gulf from storm water run-off, due to heavy rains: bad combination.

jkmason

Beach Lover
Mar 10, 2014
The red tide is in the air here in blue mountain beach. Just returned from the beach and was coughing quite a bit.

StepfordWife

Beach Comber
Sep 14, 2012
It's never been this bad. Ever. I've lived here since 1983 and I cannot remember it lasting more than a few days at a time. Warmer water temperatures, more nitrates entering the gulf from storm water run-off, due to heavy rains: bad combination.

I was hoping so! Had never run into it down there before. Would like to buy property eventually but the red tide really affected me and some family members when we were there in Sept, so was rethinking that idea.

I know red tide is natural to the gulf and occurs in some concentration every year, but never had a reaction until this last trip where I coughed all day at the beach, was a bummer.

MominStL

Beach Crab
Nov 18, 2015
We are planning to come down and stay at Grayton Beach State Park with our 4 kids in a couple of days. We have never been there before and were so excited but after seeing the pictures of dead fish all over the beach, I'm wondering if we should cancel our plans. A beach littered with dead fish is gross. Those of you who are there, what do you think? I found this site while trying to figure out what we will do while we are there but now I am worried about Red Tide. I've never experienced it before. If we do come, any suggestions on what we should do or where we should eat while there? Thanks!

StepfordWife

Beach Comber
Sep 14, 2012
I wouldn't cancel your plans based on red tide, it's super variable even day to day. When we were in Rosemary at end of Sept I had 5 people total, only 3 of the 5 noticed the effect one day of the 7 we were there. One day it made us cough and itchy eyes but by the next day it was gone. No dead fish though, which agreed would be gross. However, one person in our party is an asthmatic and it affected her strongly and for days after. I would be hesitant if any of your kiddos have breathing issues, but otherwise would still go.

Places to eat, we love Fish Out of Water in Watercolor. The food trucks in Seaside are fun, as well as the Great Southern Cafe. Also George's in Alys Beach, but that's a bit farther drive from where you will be staying. Real good place with the kids though, very casual.

MominStL

Beach Crab
Nov 18, 2015
I wouldn't cancel your plans based on red tide, it's super variable even day to day. When we were in Rosemary at end of Sept I had 5 people total, only 3 of the 5 noticed the effect one day of the 7 we were there. One day it made us cough and itchy eyes but by the next day it was gone. No dead fish though, which agreed would be gross. However, one person in our party is an asthmatic and it affected her strongly and for days after. I would be hesitant if any of your kiddos have breathing issues, but otherwise would still go.

Places to eat, we love Fish Out of Water in Watercolor. The food trucks in Seaside are fun, as well as the Great Southern Cafe. Also George's in Alys Beach, but that's a bit farther drive from where you will be staying. Real good place with the kids though, very casual.

Thank you! I panicked for a moment :) Not sure what's worse...red tide or 4 disappointed kids at home for a week! We will try your suggestions. Thanks again for taking the time to reply!