• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Mike Smith

Beach Lover
Feb 19, 2014
What's the fishing like in the dune lakes? I was thinking of giving it a try at Deer Lake in a few weeks. I assumed there might be some nice bass, but with the brackish nature of the lakes I wasn't sure. I'm a catch and release and licensed fisherman.

Any insights and advice would be appreciated.

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
What's the fishing like in the dune lakes? I was thinking of giving it a try at Deer Lake in a few weeks. I assumed there might be some nice bass, but with the brackish nature of the lakes I wasn't sure. I'm a catch and release and licensed fisherman.

Any insights and advice would be appreciated.

I've done quite a bit of fishing in Western Lake. I have caught bass, redfish, all sorts of panfish, and an occasional jack and black drum. I have heard that you can also catch alligator gar, mullet, flounder, stingray, and ... I've never fished deer lake, but if I did, I would work the bank for bass and redfish with a gold spinnerbait or spoon. Good luck! Let us know what you catch!

SlowMovin

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Soft plastic jerkbaits twitched slowly at or near the surface used to work well for bass. I haven't tried in years, though, and don't know what it's like now.

Mike Smith

Beach Lover
Feb 19, 2014
I've done quite a bit of fishing in Western Lake. I have caught bass, redfish, all sorts of panfish, and an occasional jack and black drum. I have heard that you can also catch alligator gar, mullet, flounder, stingray, and ... I've never fished deer lake, but if I did, I would work the bank for bass and redfish with a gold spinnerbait or spoon. Good luck! Let us know what you catch!
Thanks Jimmy! That's a lot more variety of fish than I thought there might be. I appreciate the suggestions on lures, too. I'll be sure to report what I catch. I'll be at Deer lake between Christmas and new years!

Garner

Beach Fanatic
Yellowfin is open every day, year round at two locations. The main store is on Heron's Watch Way, just north of 30A, by Old Florida Fish House restaurant (and as close to Deer Lake as you can get). The second year round location is in the Watercolor Publix shopping center next to the liquor store. The Grayton store is open daily in season and most weekends off season. All stores are fully staffed (five licensed fishing guides) and stocked for all of your fishing needs and desires.

Mike Smith

Beach Lover
Feb 19, 2014
Thx Garner. Glad to hear you're open. I was hoping to pop into the Seagrove store when we get to town.

Mike Smith

Beach Lover
Feb 19, 2014
Good to know. I had read that the red tide didn't affect fresh water but the dune lakes are unique. Given that there are fish in them and the red tide happens at least every year, I'll remain optimistic.