• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

KFol

Beach Crab
Aug 30, 2015
Hi!

Wondering what some of the best places are around here with gluten free meals that are Celiac Friendly (meaning they do their best to also avoid cross-contamination). Thanks!

hnasri

Beach Comber
Jan 10, 2012
Marie's Bistro prepare all the meals to order & we have rice noodles to substitute for Pasta, we have Marinara, olive oil, fresh pesto, homemade mashed potato, fresh seafood and hand cut steaks all cooked to order and totally no cross contamination when we are told of any allergies (looking Forward to serve you)

BeachMac

Beach Lover
Oct 3, 2008
KFol and WillB, I actually have a restaurant questionnaire about to mail out to chefs to create a handy resource for celiac vacationers in our area, PM me your email and I'll send you what I find out, but it could take a month or two since so many restaurants are closed right now. After finding out from my doctor earlier this year that I had to omit gluten, it is surprisingly more of a challenge to dine out here at home (South Walton) than anywhere else we have traveled. Many local restaurant staff members are not properly trained - on more than one occasion (lost count, actually) I have been told by wait staff or the person answering the phone that a dish is "gluten free" only to find out later when ordering (after I ask for them to double check with the chef that the salad dressing, spice blend, etc. is truly gluten free), that, in fact, dishes I was initially told were safe, were not. Many people tend to think if it doesn't have "bread" it is safe... which as you know is not true. This is what has led me to go straight to the chefs to get the information and then put it together to give to area websites/media in case it is helpful for other locals and guests in the same boat. Hope to get that finished by March.

Some highlights from GF meals over the last few months...

The Raw+Juicy Airstream in Seaside is the easiest place to order, to my knowledge everything they serve is gluten-free. Their new RJ Life store across the street has some tasty desserts that are all gluten-free.

The Bay has several options, but staff are hit or miss in accuracy in relaying options from the kitchen. The more tenured staff seem to have a better grip on it. I've been told most consistently that the regular burger without bun is GF, grilled seafood with rice and braised greens is too. Unfortunately they only have one fryer also used with flour-coated items, so their French fries are not gluten free. This is too bad because they have the best burger and fries around (in my opinion) - we used to eat there every week!

The Terrace Restaurant has been the most accommodating. The good news is that they are able to make almost everything gluten-free, and their Greek salad dressing is GF. The only downside is that the last two meals I have had there have been strangely not at all up to their normal par. I think they may have hired someone new in the kitchen. I'm hoping after the off season they will get back on track - because up until recently it has been a tried and true option, and my favorite place to go to feel like I am eating normally and not missing anything.

Edwards in Rosemary has several satisfying options.

Restaurant Paradis too - their gulf coast snapper dish is one of the best GF dishes I have enjoyed since the summer. They omit the gnocchi, but leave the ginger brussel sprouts, zucchini, and a flavorful lobster coconut curry cream sauce.

George's used to be our favorite place for lunch, but recently they updated their lunch menu and now only have two lunch options - neither memorable. I'm hoping when they reopen in the new year perhaps it will be updated again.

In most cities Mexican food is a tried and true gluten-free option, but unfortunately at La Cocina they fry everything in the same oil as flour-coated options, so the tortilla chips are out, entree orders are limited; you can order the fajitas made GF but sides like the refried beans are out (not sure how/why there is gluten in them).

If you don't want to dine out or cook, For the Health of It in Blue Mountain stocks some of Chef Rich's premade foods in the cooler case as you enter the store. You can also get on Rich's email list and order directly for pick-up on Sunday afternoons. He releases a list of weekly options such as shepherd's pie, grilled salmon, chicken wings, taco meat, etc. His website is: SUN MOON & SPOON FOOD CO. | Santa Rosa Beach, FL

Also Vintji near the outlet mall can make several dishes gluten-free if you ask. Their chicken dish is strong with chutney and cheese grits.

Cafe Thirty-A has a menu with GF labels on it - several entree options but very sparse on the appetizers.

Last edited:

mbo222

Beach Comber
Oct 23, 2009
So we have been eating on 30A for over 15 years. Last 5 with GF because of my dx of celiac. To Beach Macs list I'll add:
Fish out of water. They actually have GF bread etc. $$ tho.
Roux 30A. Chef Nik will make everything to order GF.
V is hit or miss. While the menu has GF on it, I have had some issues. We did the tasting menu with chef alex and he prepared probably the greatest GF meal I have had in memory...but had to give him a few days heads up.
Whiskey Bravo: Prob the most extensive GF menu and stand by it.
Fish House Sushi: Chef makes the rolls GF and they have tamari.
Perfect pig has a few GREAT dishes and is worth the effort (esp from 5-6 where its all half off).
Vintij---best restaurant period. Always accommodate.
Terrace actually excellent and knowledgeable. Food great...its just so gloomy inside!!
Stinky's is very GF friendly and they actually have GF beer.
Tango goes out of their way to be GF and food is good. Limited menu regardless of GFness.
Pass on Georges. No choices and average food experience at a high price. Same can be said for Cuvee30A. Paradis went downhill when it changed ownership. We avoid it. Havana Grill has been reasonable but I am not convinced of the GFness. I had some problems but it was probably (?) worth it. Sadly Borago is not GF friendly in our experience so we stopped going a while ago (now relocated). Basmati's is actually GF unfriendly (rude to us more than once and on the phone) so avoid that one. RedBar has gluten in the air they fry so much so no real options there.

Hope that helps.

mbo222

Beach Comber
Oct 23, 2009
oh and ill mention Brunos pizza has GF pizza. Its awesome, but you know how that goes....individual trays but same oven so use your judgement.

M

BeachMac

Beach Lover
Oct 3, 2008
Just wanted to update this thread with a few new-ish additions...

Chiringo in Grayton Beach: the only place I know in South Walton that advertises their fried shrimp and French fries as gluten-free. The shrimp are coated with rice flour and the fries are real potatoes :clap: - not frozen like the norm at other places around town, nor cooked in oil that has previously been used with flour/gluten items! It's a great addition to the area for those with Celiac disease. Though do be cautious with their sauces as I have had conflicting information... some staff tell me their special burger sauce is *not* gluten-free and others have said it is... when in doubt, I go without.

Also the Raw and Juicy Life store (across the street from the R&J airstream - down toward the B&A Pizza Bar) has excellent gluten-free dessert options in their cold case. They also happen to be dairy-free if you have any other allergies.

(And in my earlier post above from 2015, I mentioned a restaurant questionnaire sent out to 20+ chefs as I was attempting to put together a handy resource for tourists and locals with Celiac, but unfortunately even with a self-addressed/pre-stamped envelope and an online option for filling it out, my return rate was an abysmal 5%, so it's a no-go for now. I might try again down the line as the diagnosis continues to grow/be implicated in other autoimmune conditions. At least there are more local options now than in years past!)

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
A couple more additions...

La Playa in Gulf Place has good gluten free options.
Hurricane Oyster Bar has several menu items.
The BBQ trailer in Seaside...all their sauces are GF.

The biggest battle we fight for my wife is education. Clearly, more restaurants are "getting it", but it's the ones that can't differentiate between fad gluten free diets and those with real issues that annoy. Too many times we ask a restaurant about being GF and tell them that my wife is a Celiac, and they say they are up to speed with the allergy. Sorry...no. If you were, then, you would know that it's an autoimmune disease and that gluten to a Celiac is akin to eating poison.

Baby steps...it's all we can ask for...