• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Dang it Danny Glidewell. You made such a excellent post that I had to actually go back and log on in order to like it.
BTW...that grandson is absolutely precious :)

Groovegirls

Beach Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
As a member of the Small Business Association, I feel compelled to chime in. It is true that SWSBA supported Cecilia Jones. Here is why. There were a number of proposed ordinances that had great potential to do significant harm to small businesses. Many of us appealed to our commissioners to no avail. My favorite BCC response has always been the eye roll. I am sure that many of you have had similar experiences. If you are not getting a satisfactory response from your representatives, the only recourse is to replace them. I think that most reasonable people would agree with this. By the way, our support was in the form of voter turn out. There is no "mass cash". Let me also point out that most of us are true small business owners. Our pockets are not deep enough to buy gum much less politicians. If you do not like Comm. Jones, there will be another election and we will all have the opportunity to vote as we see fit.

I have been a resident of South Walton since 1990 and have seen many attempts to organize the business community as we typically have not been adequately represented. All previous attempts have failed. Why? Because we are running small businesses. We can not afford to take time away from that. Time away from running our businesses is equal to no school clothes, or braces or water and electricity.

Finally, we have an organization that sticks! It may not be perfect but it's main purpose is to support small business and that is exactly what so many of us needed. We all felt like we were in the process of being forced out of business from every direction. I certainly would not need to put so much time and energy into this mess if I did not feel that it was critical in order to preserve my livelihood. I would much rather run my business and spend time at home. So please understand, there is no evil secret mission. We are just a bunch of moms and dads and hard working folks trying to stay afloat. Those of you that attend BCC meetings and the like know exactly how it feels to be ignored. You all know what it feels like when something passes that can adversely affect you, your family, friends etc. The only thing you can do is gather people with similar views and try to get the County’s attention to your needs. Nothing evil or sinister, just an attempt at fair representation. Every one of us deserves that.

In the beginning, most of us were not looking to become part of a political action group but the natural order of things was bound to push us in that direction. How could we support business without participating in local government? Networking is incredibly valuable but it does not protect us from unfair regulation. I am grateful for an organization that connects us. It sounds hokie but I truly believe that we all succeed and fail together. This is a small town and all we have is each other.

I would like to clear up some misconceptions about the SBA as I have heard all kinds of fun things about the SBA's hidden agendas. There are none. Our organization is run by a board, elected by it's members annually. Nothing is done in the group’s name without consensus. In other words, if there are individuals with a less than savory "plot", they would be hard pressed to get the support of our organization. Ask around, I make it my personal mission to insure that is the case. I am careful who I put my name with and I am probably more skeptical than most of you. This organization, like any other, is not perfect but the good far outweighs the not so good. Our membership collectively want a business friendly environment but not at the cost of quality of life. The term I hear members use most is "a fair playing field". As a group, we are a pretty reasonable bunch. For example, when the parking ordinance was proposed it was immensely flawed. For starters, most of the lots left are not big enough to satisfy the proposed ordinance. In effect, it would stop all construction. That is fine if it is the intent of the ordinance and is supported by the citizens but that was not the case. Second, "grandfathered" is a sneaky term. Yes, that would mean that existing business would not have to comply to the new ordinance. However, in the event of a disaster like a fire or hurricane, any destroyed business (I believe the threshold is 50%) would not be able to rebuild as they were. So, imagine if you owned one of those tiny businesses on one of those tiny lots. This business is how you pay your bills and take care of your family. Of course, you have put your time, money and energy into this business. You and your loved ones have made sacrifices to build this business. You plan to retire one day, maybe pass the business down to your child, or sell it and buy an RV and spend your retirement touring. Now imagine that a hurricane wipes you out. You can not rebuild because your lot is not big enough to satisfy the ordinance. What do you do? Sell? Sure, if you can find someone interested in buying a property that isn’t big enough to legally use. At best you could sell at a reduced value. No one invests their blood, sweat and tears into anything unless they plan to be in it for the long haul. The payout does not come in the short term. This ordinance would have been great 15 years ago but we can not roll back time and start over. This is why we do not support that ordinance at this time. However we do support a comprehensive, public parking/shuttle plan. This is a much more realistic goal to achieve from where we are. It seems obvious to me that the County needs to be aggressively acquiring land for public parking and shuttle stops. We can not really fix parking or traffic in any traditional way so why not work on ways to get people out of their cars. We have to all agree on something soon because this issue has been kicked down the road for so long that our options are quickly dwindling.

Also did you know that the SBA is an advocate of transparency. Do you want to know who is up to what? So do we. The SBA wants all proposed ordinances to include the name or names of the parties responsible for bringing them forth. We have suggested this to the BCC on more than one occasion. I am sure you are not surprised that none of our commissioners have latched on to that idea.

Finally, I see that some of you are planning to boycott SBA members and that is certainly your right. However, I would like to request that you give that careful consideration. A lot of things have been said about our organization lately and they are not all true. I humbly ask that you consider the big picture as well as the individual business. We will never all agree on everything but we all have to find some common ground to share this place we call paradise.

Last edited:
Thank you so much Tammy, I remember after the organization was formed how many of the industry owners are supporting each other and feel the same way you expressed as we win & succeed together,
There was never a hidden plan or agenda I know we will always care about our community & each other, thanks for the tremendous support and the emails when something was not as good as you expect, always positive and caring wish you all the best

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Thank you so much Tammy, I remember after the organization was formed how many of the industry owners are supporting each other and feel the same way you expressed as we win & succeed together,
There was never a hidden plan or agenda I know we will always care about our community & each other, thanks for the tremendous support and the emails when something was not as good as you expect, always positive and caring wish you all the best

So let's use Marie'a Bistro as an example. This started as a catering kitchen in the space that was Blue Orleans. It slowly morphed into a restaurant that then tripled in size. None of which went through the proper channels ultimately ending with a nonconforming restaurant. Now it's a cluster of cars on a property originally built and designated for retail commercial space. Ultimately a boycott of that business is easy since I got food poisoning there prior to this whole debacle. Perhaps Mr. Nasri should have used the proper channels and this ordinance wouldn't affect him so acutely.

Patriot Games

Beach Lover
Aug 28, 2014
Tammy,
So let's get this straight, you admit there is a parking problem. So in order to protect all the small businesses in case of disaster we should continue to let new businesses further add to a problem you said should have been stopped 15 years ago. Come own now, if you've been here that long, (Opal, Erin, ETC,) you know after those disasters have hit, the BCC has almost always granted people exceptions to put things back like they were. You want my tax money to pay for public parking and shuttles to take people shopping to your business's because you don't want to provide adequate parking? I don't think so. I don't mind my tax dollars being used to provide parking and shuttles to public area's like beaches, and county and state parks and public venue's, hospitals, Etc. I don't even mind making sure we have public transportation for our elderly and handicapped citizens to anywhere they need to go but I shouldn't have to pay to haul residents or tourists to your business with regular tax dollars. If you want to do some tourist hauling and parking, then do it with TDC dollars. If an empty lot is too small to meet the requirements of a new business, then they need to buy two. If I wanted to build a house on a lot that couldn't make the setbacks, I'd have to buy two lots. The same should apply to businesses. Don't buy the lot if what you want won't fit there and follow the rules.
Like it or not some of the key original organizers of the SBA have been involved in county "deals" that have been less than good for the citizens of Walton county. You may get what you want out of commissioner Jones for your single issue, but rest assured the minority that organized your group and asked you to support her will have her up for the highest bidder who wants to develop in south Walton and do business the old Walton County way. (Outside the sunshine) I watch all the BCC meetings on line and I've never seen the SBA or it's members standing at the podium demanding better drainage, traffic lights at dangerous intersections or any other community issue. Based on that, I simply believe it's a political machine made up to protect wallets, not the community. Your beloved president Mr. Anchors seems to think it's OK to put 25 people in a beach house with 15 cars spread out everywhere in the right of ways. We need stricter parking requirements if you want 30 people to rent one house. You would feel different if you lived next to one of his rentals in a neighborhood down by the beach.
I'm sure your business is great and I love and patronize many small businesses in the community as they are my neighbors but I don't want your business wants affecting the whole community's quality of life. The WCTA, South Walton Community Council and organizations that look out for the community as a whole are who I look to when it comes to supporting a candidate. I hate the south end has become the goose that they will try and force bigger and bigger golden eggs out of. At the rate we are going and all the lack of enforcement, in 15 years driving and parking in south Walton will be like Miami.
I don't care if your a small business or work for big business or just retired, we need BCC leaders that don't compromise our quality of life just to choke that golden goose a little harder........

So let's use Marie'a Bistro as an example. This started as a catering kitchen in the space that was Blue Orleans. It slowly morphed into a restaurant that then tripled in size. None of which went through the proper channels ultimately ending with a nonconforming restaurant. Now it's a cluster of cars on a property originally built and designated for retail commercial space. Ultimately a boycott of that business is easy since I got food poisoning there prior to this whole debacle. Perhaps Mr. Nasri should have used the proper channels and this ordinance wouldn't affect him so acutely.
I honestly used the proper channels. When the landlord came to us and told us we have to find another location because he was going to sell the building to a group that will put a Church in it, I went to the county and asked if there is any objection to expand the Bistro (We had put all the funds we had and borrowed in remodeling the Blue Orleans) that existed for years there, I had that in writing before I expanded one inch so please do not accuse me of not going thru the proper channels,

As far as food poisoning I wish I was told or called to let us know and make sure you are taking care of. Please give us another try Thank you

And truly I was not concerned for me as I have been living here since 1983 and will be here as long as GOD allow me to but for my neighbor to lose his agreement with another business to share the parking lot when they are closed in my humble opinion that was not fair, I learned thru the last 32 years here never to put my eggs in one basket,

Last edited:

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
I don't have a dog in the fight when it comes to supporting small business (I neither own or operate one) but I do take exception to the "how great thou art" attitude is in regard to C. Jones and her abominable behavior as a sitting County Commissioner and her absolute total lack of any kind of decorum either during a public meeting or in her private life. How you conduct yourself in public says a great deal about who you are as a person and what people saw is the exact replica of who C. Jones actually is. It also says a lot about the people who supported her in her re-election campaign and that isn't very flattering either.

I also think it says a lot in regard to C. Jones personal agenda whose own children and friends benefit from decisions supported and/or endorsed by the SBA that somehow manage to miraculously benefit private business while completely ignoring public needs in SoWal....lack of parking for PUBLIC access to beaches, state parks etc. I'm sure you will also forgive me for not supporting your mom and pop business because there is no place to park (your problem, not mine) not to mention that in order to support your private business I would have to spend 3 or 4 times the money on your product as I would anywhere north of the bay.

Groovegirls

Beach Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
Tammy,
So let's get this straight, you admit there is a parking problem. So in order to protect all the small businesses in case of disaster we should continue to let new businesses further add to a problem you said should have been stopped 15 years ago. Come own now, if you've been here that long, (Opal, Erin, ETC,) you know after those disasters have hit, the BCC has almost always granted people exceptions to put things back like they were. You want my tax money to pay for public parking and shuttles to take people shopping to your business's because you don't want to provide adequate parking? I don't think so. I don't mind my tax dollars being used to provide parking and shuttles to public area's like beaches, and county and state parks and public venue's, hospitals, Etc. I don't even mind making sure we have public transportation for our elderly and handicapped citizens to anywhere they need to go but I shouldn't have to pay to haul residents or tourists to your business with regular tax dollars. If you want to do some tourist hauling and parking, then do it with TDC dollars. If an empty lot is too small to meet the requirements of a new business, then they need to buy two. If I wanted to build a house on a lot that couldn't make the setbacks, I'd have to buy two lots. The same should apply to businesses. Don't buy the lot if what you want won't fit there and follow the rules.
Like it or not some of the key original organizers of the SBA have been involved in county "deals" that have been less than good for the citizens of Walton county. You may get what you want out of commissioner Jones for your single issue, but rest assured the minority that organized your group and asked you to support her will have her up for the highest bidder who wants to develop in south Walton and do business the old Walton County way. (Outside the sunshine) I watch all the BCC meetings on line and I've never seen the SBA or it's members standing at the podium demanding better drainage, traffic lights at dangerous intersections or any other community issue. Based on that, I simply believe it's a political machine made up to protect wallets, not the community. Your beloved president Mr. Anchors seems to think it's OK to put 25 people in a beach house with 15 cars spread out everywhere in the right of ways. We need stricter parking requirements if you want 30 people to rent one house. You would feel different if you lived next to one of his rentals in a neighborhood down by the beach.
I'm sure your business is great and I love and patronize many small businesses in the community as they are my neighbors but I don't want your business wants affecting the whole community's quality of life. The WCTA, South Walton Community Council and organizations that look out for the community as a whole are who I look to when it comes to supporting a candidate. I hate the south end has become the goose that they will try and force bigger and bigger golden eggs out of. At the rate we are going and all the lack of enforcement, in 15 years driving and parking in south Walton will be like Miami.
I don't care if your a small business or work for big business or just retired, we need BCC leaders that don't compromise our quality of life just to choke that golden goose a little harder........

Patriot Games, you raise good points but I think you read into my suggestions regarding the parking situation a little too far. First of all I did not say that we should do anything to make the problem worse but I can understand the confusion due to my wording in the original post. I have no problem with reasonable regulation at any point in the game. Changing the way we move forward is fine as long as it makes sense in the big picture. I do feel that this particular ordinance would be hard on existing business and while that is certainly near and dear to my heart, I openly concede that it is not the only "interest" that deserves to be served. I personally feel that there is a middle ground on almost every issue. Sadly we are not good at achieving that.
In relation to parking and the shuttle, again, my wording could have been better. I have a bad habit of using "the County" as a coverall term. I also think that the TDC should take on most of that expense but it seems realistic to expect some of the expense to fall to the County as well. Many members of the SBA have said that are willing to help pay for the service. But none I am aware of feel that the entire burden should fall on their backs. Remember the Turtle Express Shuttle? Businesses that it serviced voluntarily paid for it. At the end of the day, in my opinion, we would all benefit from a properly executed shuttle system. Reduced traffic would be the most obvious benefit. I also do not personally think that a shuttle service has to be free but I do believe that it should be inexpensive. It has to be easier to take the shuttle than it is to drive in order for this to work. I feel like every aspect of it must be well thought out. The typical knee jerk proposal will not work in my opinion. In my mind this would be a long term investment in the quality of living for locals and visitors. As far as where the shuttle stops, I agree with you that it should go to public beaches etc. It isn't realistic to expect the shuttle to stop at every shop in Walton County. There would have to be public shuttle stops and parking. I think it should service neighborhoods rather than a specific business. In the case of the Turtle Express, it serviced specific businesses but those businesses paid for that service directly.
"If an empty lot is too small to meet the requirements of a new business, then they need to buy two. If I wanted to build a house on a lot that couldn't make the setbacks, I'd have to buy two lots. The same should apply to businesses. Don't buy the lot if what you want won't fit there and follow the rules." I agree with you 100%. I did not intend to imply that we should bend current rules. Nor did I mean to imply that I would not support reasonable and realistic change in the rules in relation to parking or anything else. I do absolutely believe that all angles of any issue must be carefully weighed and all members of the community deserve fair consideration. The proposed parking ordinance in my opinion was bad for me. I can not build a business based on the assumption that the county will grant me an exception in the event of a disaster. I would not last very long in business if I build my plan around uncertainties such as that. I do understand your position and I also would like to see a lot of things change around here. As I mentioned we can not go back in time and I don't think that it is right to make existing business suffer because we all screwed it up the first time. Most of these businesses, SBA members or not, opened a business based on the rules that were in place at the time.
There are quite a few people in this county who want to rewrite a lot of the codes and I think that most of us can agree that needs to be done. I encourage everyone to be involved in this process because we are all affected by these things and it is up to each of us to represent our needs.
Commissioner Jones. I am not aware of any ordinance that has been passed in the favor of the SBA. For me, it's about being heard and I feel like I have gotten something out of it in that regard. I do not fully agree with any of our commissioners but I am doing the best I can with what I have to work with as I am sure you also strive to do.
I will not discuss any individual members because I do not feel that it is my place and I hardly know everything about every member. I will say that we have around 200 members and I urge you to judge each as individuals.
As you mentioned, my business is great! (I may be a little biased). Hydrobikes are made in the USA and eco-friendly. That's 2 things that are very important to me. I am not here because I wanted to live in a tourist town. I am here because I love the landscape we are surrounded by and the community that I share it with. I try to be the best steward that I can be and most folks around here do the same. This truly is paradise and I do not want to see it paved over. But I also want to stay in business. I believe that there is a balance that works for everyone. I do not want my business to affect your quality of life nor do I want to live in Miami. I think we want similar things but have different ideas of how to get them.

Last edited: