• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Tammy the big issue is that the minority in the SBA have never met wetlands or preserve that they didn't envision as condos or developments. Your tacit support makes them more legitimate and they are using you.

Ask yourself this:

How would changing from an elected school superintendent to an appointed one affect a single small business in south Walton? That effort was around $20,000 spent by their PAC.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Tammy the big issue is that the minority in the SBA have never met wetlands or preserve that they didn't envision as condos or developments. Your tacit support makes them more legitimate and they are using you.

Ask yourself this:

How would changing from an elected school superintendent to an appointed one affect a single small business in south Walton? That effort was around $20,000 spent by their PAC.

Excellent Examples Matt J.

Love to hear from the SBA members and how they explain your item.

Many of you small business people are being used, wake up please.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Ask yourself this:

I'll never understand how they were able to raise that kinda money in support of an appointment yet couldn't raise the votes (happily, IMO) yet managed to raise enough votes to get C. Jones re-elected.

Groovegirls

Beach Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
For the sake of clarification, the SBA was officially in support of having an elected superintendent over an appointed one. I am not sure that is what either of you are saying. Second, I think you need to know who the members are before you can determine how many of them want to destroy wetlands. Again, I urge you to judge them as individuals.
Back to the school board issue. There was discussion at one of our meetings whether or not we should take on that issue. It certainly seems outside of our scope however, that decision affected most of our members in their personal lives so it was worth discussing. Now, to address the 20,000 dollars that you brought up. Here is where it gets tricky. The SBA has about 200 members. We are about 2 years old. Dues are $100/year. That comes up to about $4,000. The SBA has never had $20,000 however that money was spent in the name of the SBA. I do not know much more than that at this point but I am sure interested in finding out. Matt, thank you for bringing that up. I will probably not comment further on this thread unless I feel confident that I know the facts.
I would like to emphasis that the majority of members of this organization are good people who run good businesses. Please consider them each on their own merits.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
That's the kind of math that blows my mind.

200 members x 100.00 each = $20,000
X 2 years = $40,000.

Might explain small business failures.

I'm not sure who the SBA members are - have them all post here - I would appreciate it! LOL

I run a full page ad listing each.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Thanks for you candid reply Groovegirl.

I think you'll find most of your membership has no clue what the "leadership" is involved in.

I'm sure you are all good folks, but those leader you are like a Piper(s), leading you mice to a cliff...

As for WHO the members actually are, that's confidential by design of the leadership. That way educated people cannot reach out to you in an attempt to peel back the onion layers.

I had no idea your business even existed until you posted. While I still avoid SBA businesses, I don't want to. I have friends that own one or two.

Until more wake up, it will be a bumpy road, but thank you again for you previous comments.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
I don't like boycotts. Our local businesses are owned by our neighbors. Let's be neighborly. If they're being used as was mentioned. Then no need to pile on.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach

What Commissioner Jones states is inaccurate. Ms Harris has not been found in violation of any code. She seems to not understand that Ms. Harris does not own Edgewater Condos.

Meadows ponders planning appointment, speaks frankly about commission’s decision

By DEBORAH WHEELER
267-4555 | @WaltonSunDeb
dwheeler@waltonsun.com
Posted Dec 19, 2015 at 3:00 PM

Walton County Commissioner Cindy Meadows doesn’t know who she can find to replace Suzanne Harris on the county planning commission.
Meadows said she’s not sure there’s anyone willing to take the abuse Harris did from county administrators and elected officials.
“Who am I gonna want to go through the type of character assassination that they put Suzanne through?” she said. “Who is going to want to serve?”
Commissioners voted 4-1 on Dec. 8 to remove Harris, Meadows’ appointee to the planning board. Meadows cast the vote against removal.
Harris has been critical of county government and had publicly stated plans to run against current Commissioner Bill Imfeld.
The vote to remove a fellow board member’s appointment was unprecedented, Meadows said, and sent the wrong kind of message.
“If we don’t like you or if you complain, we will assassinate your character,” Meadows said. “Keep your mouth shut.”

District 2 Commissioner Cecilia Jones said she voted to oust Harris for failing to adhere to county codes and ordinances.
“The appointment or reappointment of any individual who has failed to comply or is found in noncompliance of the codes and ordinances they are sworn to represent is paramount,” said Jones.

A pair of planning commissioners had attempted unsuccessfully to remove Harris on Oct. 8 on the grounds she had missed two consecutive meetings without notifying the board chairman.
Rather than removing her at that time, the planning board voted to clarify its notification procedures.
Following the Dec. 8 vote, tension between the county commissioners was high.
Jones called the entire discussion concerning the reappointment “an overheated distraction and diversion from the real challenges we face as a county.”
Imfeld and Commissioner Bill Chapman declined to comment for this story.
Harris said she feels being denied a return to the Planning Commission was retaliation for her announcing plans to seek Imfeld’s seat.
She said she still intends to run for a county commission seat, but hasn’t decided yet in which district she’s going to run.
“I am just trying to decide between Imfeld and Chapman’s seat — unless someone better steps up and wants to run, and then I would support them,” she said.
Harris served on the board for three years. She has lived in South Walton since 2004.
Meadows, along with Imfeld and Chapman, will be up for re-election in 2016.

Last edited: