• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
SoWal has been a big fat ripe plum ready for the picking for a long long time with all the rental homes. But the truth is all that's available to steal is flat screen TVs and a few kayaks which is a tiny expense which owners would rather replace than worry about.

@John G I would like to know where you get your figures from. What is "recent"? What is being stolen? I have a hard time believing there is a million dollars in 30 homes unless they are owner occupied with jewelry, cash - easily transported high dollar items.

And another question for you. Why is every post you make about the Sheriff failing? Are you a disgruntled employee or former employee?

1) I believe your first question has been answered by another poster and my facts were correct. Lack of good info from WCSO has been a pattern.

2) Not every post I make is about "the sheriff failing", as you so put it. I have posted praise multiple times, giving credit where it is due.

In this post, I simply brought to the attention of those on SoWal, facts about a rash of recent home burglaries, then coupled with two questions (that no one has answered). Its also funny that people are first having to hear about these incidents on a website blog. You are the one implying that the sheriff's office has "failed" in this instance, I never said that. BUT, one could see when you'd reach such a conclusion based on the sheer numbers involved here.

As for everyone's questions about the length of time, here's the quote from NW FL Daily: " The Walton County Sheriff’s Office is asking for help to capture a burglar who has broken into 28 homes along County Road 30A in the last three weeks."

Also, I'm a Gemini...

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Now (around 2:20pm) apparently news outlets are all confused. Some say 18 month string of burglary, others three weeks...Our local media is such a mess sometimes...

Here's the Official WCSO Release:

For Immediate Release

January 14, 2016

Investigators with the Walton County Sheriff’s Office are asking for the public’s help in identifying a possible suspect in six burglaries over the last few weeks.

In these six cases in the Rosemary, Seagrove, and Red Fish Village area witnesses and victims have described the same individual in their encounters. The subject is described as a tall, thin, white male standing at around 6 feet tall wearing jeans and occasionally a ball cap with either very short hair or a bald head. His approach to these burglaries is to wait until homeowners leave their house and, in broad daylight, checks the home to see if they are unlocked and enters; focusing his attention on cash and high end jewelry.

These six burglaries are included in 28 total residential burglaries which have occurred south of Highway 98 over the last year. The suspect described in this release is NOT suspected in ALL 28 of those burglaries. However, WCSO is encouraging residents and visitors to HIDE their belongings, LOCK their doors, TAKE your person items even if you plan to leave your home or vacation rental for just a short time.

If you SEE SOMETHING, SAY SOMETHING and report any suspicious activity to the Walton County Sheriff’s Office by calling 892-8111.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Heres the official scoop.

For Immediate Release

January 14, 2016

Investigators with the Walton County Sheriff’s Office are asking for the public’s help in identifying a possible suspect in six burglaries over the last few weeks.

In these six cases in the Rosemary, Seagrove, and Red Fish Village area witnesses and victims have described the same individual in their encounters. The subject is described as a tall, thin, white male standing at around 6 feet tall wearing jeans and occasionally a ball cap with either very short hair or a bald head. His approach to these burglaries is to wait until homeowners leave their house and, in broad daylight, checks the home to see if they are unlocked and enters; focusing his attention on cash and high end jewelry.

These six burglaries are included in 28 total residential burglaries which have occurred south of Highway 98 over the last year. The suspect described in this release is NOT suspected in ALL 28 of those burglaries. However, WCSO is encouraging residents and visitors to HIDE their belongings, LOCK their doors, TAKE your person items even if you plan to leave your home or vacation rental for just a short time.

If you SEE SOMETHING, SAY SOMETHING and report any suspicious activity to the Walton County Sheriff’s Office by calling 892-8111.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Jimmy T., that site is obviously not accurate, never has been.

The #'s and $'s came from the NW FL Daily News.

This has been going on for over three weeks and now we, the public, first hear about it...
Actually reported 18 months...and now we hear about it....

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
I don't know that I would be making a big deal out of the 1 million dollar figure. There is no use in advertising that many homes are in Sowal ripe for the picking. And I do think that John G has some valid questions about the number of units out in the county on midnight shift and whether or not those units are regularly patrolling the neighborhoods effected. There are probably reasonable answers to those questions but it does not hurt to ask the questions.

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
I know about several of these break-ins and this is not a case of a burglar breaking into empty rental homes to steal TVs. The targeted homes have been either full-time residences or rentals that were occupied. In the cases of the full-time residences, the residents were out of town and came back to ransacked homes. In the cases of the rentals, the burglar waited until the occupants left the house to go the beach or ride bikes and he then helped himself to purses, wallets, and jewelry left home.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
I know about several of these break-ins and this is not a case of a burglar breaking into empty rental homes to steal TVs. The targeted homes have been either full-time residences or rentals that were occupied. In the cases of the full-time residences, the residents were out of town and came back to ransacked homes. In the cases of the rentals, the burglar waited until the occupants left the house to go the beach or ride bikes and he then helped himself to purses, wallets, and jewelry left home.

Thanks Camp Creek. To my point, your post provides more info than the WCSO Press Release.

joho

Beach Fanatic
Aug 5, 2005
If you leave any door unlocked no matter where you are your chances of being burglarized are high. Take precautionary measures and "lock it safe".

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Letter from one of those victimized. Hope they catch this Jack A#$.

ROSEMARY BEACH — A week after Rozz Friedman’s home was burglarized, she sat down and wrote a letter.“I went to Panera Bread and got a coffee and started writing,” she said.She addressed her open letter to “Mr. Thief,” who walked into her home, stole her family heirlooms and “disappeared like a ghost into the night,” she wrote.“He didn’t just steal from me, he stole from my grandmother, grandfather and my parents ... the solid, concrete evidence that I have of who they are,” she said over the phone from her house on Wiggle Lane.

Friedman had just returned home a from trip to Texas the night of Jan. 11 when she noticed her house was in disarray.She shrugged off the mess assuming her husband had been looking for something. But in the morning light, she noticed something wasn’t right.The terror set in when she noticed the front door was open, and then she found that all of her mementos from her parents and grandparents had been stolen.It wasn’t the dollar value she became distraught about, but the memories attached to each piece of jewelry she had kept.“Mr. Thief, my heart is broken,” she wrote.She mentions a photo of her parents “happy and dancing.” In the photo, her mother is wearing a diamond ring her father gave her.

The diamond ring that was stolen.Her mother, from Barcelona, was a roller skater, painter and mountain climber. She met Friedman’s father in Mexico City when he was studying the arts.When she was 45, she was diagnosed with breast cancer. During her illness, she created a nonprofit organization to help low income cancer patients and their families. Her father bought her the diamond ring as a way to lift her spirits. She wore it until she died in 2001.“My dad was so proud of my mom,” she wrote in the letter. “He gave her beautiful gold bracelets as a token of his love, admiration and respect for her hard work.“You stole them all.”Among the missing possessions was her dad’s class ring from Brooklyn College.

He went to school on the G.I. Bill after serving in the Army. He grew up in New York to immigrant parents who instilled a good work ethic in him. Her later built a business as well as a scholarship for underprivileged kids to afford them the same opportunities he had.The stolen items were a tangible timeline from the milestones in Friedman’s life. The Mexican gold coins from her college graduation, her engagement ring. A European cut diamond ring that belonged to her grandmother.

“They symbolize things in our lives that mean something,” she said. “Birthdays and anniversaries ... our family has a rich and textured history.”

Walton County Sheriff’s Office spent nine hours at Friedman’s house on Jan. 12 taking fingerprints and photographs. Corey Dobridnia, spokesperson for WCSO, said the burglar is believed to be the same man that has broken into 28 homes along 30A in the past 18 months.

“It is still under investigation,” she said Tuesday afternoon. “It’s a priority for the agency and we’re working on leads.”Friedman has also done some investigating of her own, calling local pawn shops and jewelry buyers as well as scrolling through ads on Craigslist from Panama City to Pensacola.“I have to be my own advocate,” she said. “I’ve been learning all of the rules ... under Florida law, if I find my jewelry I have to buy it back and keep a receipt so the burglar can give me restitution.”Trying to relocate the items of her family history has kept her awake most nights. Writing the letter was like finding a small bit of peace.“It was cathartic,” she said.But most of all, she just wants her things back.“Put it in a bag and throw it in a rosemary bush outside my house in Rosemary Beach,” she wrote to Mr. Thief. “I would be so grateful to know that there lies within you humanity.”