• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

happycamper3

Beach Crab
Jun 29, 2015
The problem: waste management comes to our neighborhood in Grayton twice per week in the 5am hour. They beep and crunch garbage and shake cans for an average of 15-20 min each time. Each time I wake up and unfortunately cannot go back to bed, therefore I loose about 4 hours of sleep each week.Nothing else wakes me up - their trucks are incredibly loud, just as a point of reference.

What has been done so far: I contacted waste management at the corporate level. They were very nice said they understood and would take care of the problem. Then I was contacted by the Freeport location and he basically told me too bad, if it's not you and your neighbors at 5:30am it will be someone else. I said what about the construction noise ordinance that does not allow for noise before 7am? He said this does not apply to garbage disposal.

I am soooo tired and each time they come get more and more enraged. I feel like I am being tortured twice a week by waste management! Do any of you have any thoughts about how I might be able to resolve this, that do not involve me going to jail!

On a side note: a sanitation worker was jailed in GA for picking up garbage that early in the morning. While I think that is ridiculous, it does show me that other places find it unacceptable to cause that much of a disturbance at that time of day! There has to be some recourse here!

joho

Beach Fanatic
Aug 5, 2005
The problem: waste management comes to our neighborhood in Grayton twice per week in the 5am hour. They beep and crunch garbage and shake cans for an average of 15-20 min each time. Each time I wake up and unfortunately cannot go back to bed, therefore I loose about 4 hours of sleep each week.Nothing else wakes me up - their trucks are incredibly loud, just as a point of reference.

What has been done so far: I contacted waste management at the corporate level. They were very nice said they understood and would take care of the problem. Then I was contacted by the Freeport location and he basically told me too bad, if it's not you and your neighbors at 5:30am it will be someone else. I said what about the construction noise ordinance that does not allow for noise before 7am? He said this does not apply to garbage disposal.

I am soooo tired and each time they come get more and more enraged. I feel like I am being tortured twice a week by waste management! Do any of you have any thoughts about how I might be able to resolve this, that do not involve me going to jail!

On a side note: a sanitation worker was jailed in GA for picking up garbage that early in the morning. While I think that is ridiculous, it does show me that other places find it unacceptable to cause that much of a disturbance at that time of day! There has to be some recourse here!

Not to be a smart ass~
Ear plugs work great! Serious

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Call County Administrator, Larry Jones.

He has connections there...

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove

I say you get them to agree to only once weekly trash pickup OR have them redesign their entire route so the trucks don't come anywhere near your house until 2PM or so. And be persistent! The squeeky wheel always gets the grease. :popcorn:

BeachArkie

Beach Lover
Jun 27, 2008
Seagrove
Earplugs is definitely the solution. There are lots of noises in an active neighborhood, and it makes a big difference.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Quiet hours on the other side of the County line run 11pm-7am and that includes the trash trucks. They'll cheat a little by starting a few streets over from us as about 6:50-6:55.

We reduced the noise by putting in insulated impact windows during a remodel a few years back and now don't hear the trash trucks at all.