• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Rainlr

Beach Lover
Jan 30, 2016
Heard a rumor that some beachfront property owners east of Stallworth Park are petitioning the county to have the two beach accesses closed to the public on Bullard St and the end of South Bishop . These are mostly walking or biking accesses that are vital to the area neighborhoods. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Yes, true.

I think they wanted to buy it at one point.

The parking there was a complete mess, until they complained enough and finally got some parking Enforcement... If you call a sticker with a 48 hr. Notice to Tow, Enforcement....

While I'm not in favor of their attempts to eliminate the access, you can hardly blame them. The parking was a zoo, and last season they had a shuttle busing in DR Horton Neighborhoods to that small access.

If you haven't figured it out by now, all private property South of 30a is under attack by local government / developers, wanting to put tourists on the beach.

This way, when the renourishment project fails, they can go to a Customary Use argument to take away your property.

This place will dramatically change in the next 2 to 5 years. Very sad.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
These "neighborhood" accesses have become additional de facto "regional accesses" in many cases due to the overall lack of public access compared to the need. Instead of advertising the TDC should use their millions to purchase additional beachfront, with an emphasis on acquiring property around existing accesses. Inland property should also be acquired to provide parking and amenities such as bathrooms and picnic areas. Notice I said purchase, not take. As far as the shuttles, a little common sense preventive governance could whisper in the providers ear that the state parks would be a much better destination for their shuttles and the beaches are less crowded than around the neighborhood accesses.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
The parking was a mess due to unmaintained right of way.

The residents have a vastly different definition of neighborhood as well.

Rainlr

Beach Lover
Jan 30, 2016
Heard a rumor that some beachfront property owners east of Stallworth Park are petitioning the county to have the two beach accesses closed to the public on Bullard St and the end of South Bishop . These are mostly walking or biking accesses that are vital to the area neighborhoods. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

There is some truth to the rumor. Beach Highland beach front property owners petitioned a judge to quiet title the beach property in back of their homes, their request was granted in November of last year. I think their end game is to have the accesses closed to the public. The back property owners in Gulf Trace are in a similar situation with the beach front property owners getting quiet title and attempting to close accesses. I heard this is happening in the Blue Mountain Beach area too. Not sure how this is going to play out in the long term but us folks who live along the beach using decades old neighborhood accesses will be left with no options expect for the overcrowded remaining accesses that are marketed to tourists. Doesn’t seem right that these titles are being granted without public notice or a chance for full time residents to voice their objections or opportunity to work a compromise. Any thoughts?

jkmason

Beach Lover
Mar 10, 2014
This could get ugly....

Here is a link to a very similar case involving beach front landowners acquiring quiet title and attempting to restrict neighborhood access to the beach. The MA Supreme Court ruled against the beach front homeowners. Interesting read.

MA Supreme Court Upholds Easement Rights | Beach Access

Last edited:

joho

Beach Fanatic
Aug 5, 2005
If I'm not mistaken that is platted as Beach Highlands S/D. How do the 200 or more home owners feel about this north of the beach accesses located in Beach Highlands 1st addition? Will they be entitled to use the two accesses that have been frequented over the years?