• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BeachArkie

Beach Lover
Jun 27, 2008
Seagrove
See attached for the official WCSO policy and procedures on beach trespassing.

Basically only the property owner (or the documented legal representative of the property owner) can complain, and they must have several documents on hand to prove ownership and property boundaries. And then the deputy will only take action if the supposed trespasser refuses to move when asked to do so by the deputy.

Attachments

• WCSO Beach Trespass Policy.pdf
    326.1 KB · Views: 1,330

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Yup you, the private property owner have to spend big bucks $$$ to prove you own your property...

Wonder why sheriff mike didn't make mention of the Policy at the meeting this morning?

Perhaps now he has to answer to those that have undertaken the procedure outlined in this policy and explain to them "Customary Use".

Politricks at their best, only in good ole' Walton.

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
Thank you BeachArkie. This document will be in our beach bag when we're on the beach. Not so we can sit anywhere we want, but it should keep anyone from trying to intimidate us should we be in a proper area.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Thank you BeachArkie. This document will be in our beach bag when we're on the beach. Not so we can sit anywhere we want, but it should keep anyone from trying to intimidate us should we be in a proper area.
"Go ahead and make my day", as you unroll your documents...bravo

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Why were none of the beach issues; vendors, private beach, Trespassing ever an issue Prior to the BP Oil Spill?

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014

If you are up for an experiment, I'd suggest the following; get a backpack, grab your favorite flag (college or other type), travel to one of the public beach accesses NEAR Seaside.

Do Not Forget your WCSO SOP!!! This will be important.

Then, with your gear in tow, go on to the "public beach" and walk towards Seaside.

When you get to the vicinity of Seaside, be sure to walk along the waters edge. Walk past Seaside and then repeat. For added effect, wave the flag periodically.

The Seaside Spring Break Rules just inacted say YOU can't do this.

Let us know how it works out...

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
No thanks. I'm not interested in stirring up anyone. I only hope to be able to quietly enjoy the beaches near where I stay as I've done in the past. I don't use the vendors, I don't dig holes and cart more off the beach than I showed up with.
I have several friends with beachfront property that I have a great deal of respect for with some of the issues they are faced with on their property.
I don't know any that are marching around trying to get people arrested or spend their day peering out the windows looking for someone who might trespass.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Seaside (and other resorts) have always had rules for beach use as they should. Especially for the teens and college crowds during Spring Break. The WCSO will be stationed in Seaside (and other popular spots) for the next several weeks to provide security and enforcement of those rules as well as to curb underage drinking. It's a good thing and helps keep people safe.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Seaside (and other resorts) have always had rules for beach use as they should. Especially for the teens and college crowds during Spring Break. The WCSO will be stationed in Seaside (and other popular spots) for the next several weeks to provide security and enforcement of those rules as well as to curb underage drinking. It's a good thing and helps keep people safe.

I agree. It is a good thing from Safety stand point.

My point is; Has Seaside complied with the formal requirements of the SOP (formal survey, clearly marked boundaries, packet posted on beach, designated caller with ID picture, etc) ?

That's the question. If not, why does the Sheriff treat a resort community Different than a private residential owner, both wishing to accomplish the same thing? Privacy and Safety.

A Private Beach is no different if it's Seaside Resort, Rosemary Beach Community, or in a residential "backyard" of a single owner, it's all the same. Looks as if the Enforcement side might be in question.