• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

cwalen

Beach Comber
Apr 5, 2016
Baltimore
We are considering changing our plans from Charleston (Isle of Palms) to Seagrove in August. In my opinion (and I could totally be wrong) but the weather shouldn't be that much different from IOP / Charleston temps at that time.

How dreadful is the weather in SoWal in the first two weeks of August? My kids are practically fish so we'll be in the pools/gulf...which reminds me - how calm is the gulf that time of year (pending absence of a major storm)?

SoWal Staff

Serving the Community!
Staff member
Apr 14, 2006
South Walon, FL
SoWal.com
Weather for South Walton Beaches in Florida | SoWal.com - Insider's Guide for South Walton Beaches & Scenic 30A

July and August are the busiest months (school’s out!) and the hottest. Temps are usually in the 90s and humidity is maxed out. In the water or indoors are sometimes the only comfortable spot. Though warm/hot Gulf breezes provide some relief. The 4th of July gets crazier every year. Fireworks, though prohibited, light up the night sky along the beaches in each direction. Most dogs will be terrified. Drinking and fireworks shouldn’t mix but always do.

The very warm water temps can cause red tide to appear. A red tide is a higher-than-normal concentration of a microscopic alga. This organism produces a toxin that can affect the central nervous system of fish. At high concentrations (called a bloom), the organisms may discolor the water. However, red tides are not always red. They can appear greenish, brownish and even purple in color. Or, the water can remain its normal color. Blooms are most likely to occur from August through November although there have been red tides in every month of the year. Swimming in the Gulf with high concentrations of red tide will cause cold or even flu-like symptoms that can last hours or days. A strong red tide and an onshore breeze will cause breathing difficulties, soar throat, sneezing, and coughing several hundred yards inland. A severe red tide will litter the beaches and bayside with dead fish. Learn more at www.SoWal.com/red-tide.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
We are considering changing our plans from Charleston (Isle of Palms) to Seagrove in August. In my opinion (and I could totally be wrong) but the weather shouldn't be that much different from IOP / Charleston temps at that time.

How dreadful is the weather in SoWal in the first two weeks of August? My kids are practically fish so we'll be in the pools/gulf...which reminds me - how calm is the gulf that time of year (pending absence of a major storm)?
A good time to be in the water it will be hot!

hippiechick

Beach Fanatic
Oct 1, 2006
Seagrove Beach

The weather is hot anywhere in August. The Isle of Palms is gorgeous and if I had a choice that is where I would go. But the Gulf water is far superior in clarity and the sand is a lot softer on the feet. So if that is important come here. Keep in mind this area is highly populated in August, meaning bumper to bumper traffic in Seagrove and long waits in restaurant.

Dreamer

Beach Lover
Dec 29, 2014
Northwest Georgia
I would take Seagrove over Isle of Palms anyday! The beaches are unattractive. Most schools start in the beginning of August, so it probably won't be too crowded in Seagrove. Some people on the forum can be very sarcastic. Enjoy our stay!

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
We come to SoWal in August just about every year because we have rent out two and we dash down to SoWal as soon as the peak summer rental season is over, usually the 2nd or 3rd week in August. It is our favorite time of year to be there because it's quiet, everything is still open, we get the pool and beach almost to ourselves, and all we want to do is swim or float in the pool, hang out at the beach (rent beach chairs and umbrella to make it easy), sit on the porch in the mornings and evenings when it's not too hot, and nap inside in the afternoons (where it's air conditioned). We haven't experienced red tide. It used to be that there were hardly any renters in August, but the last few years have been a bit busier, so it seems that more people are enjoying SoWal in August (last August there were about 4 families sharing the beach with us).

Attachments

• Seacrest Beach August 2009.jpg
    Seacrest Beach August 2009.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 84

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
I should add that it tends to rain during many afternoons in August (sometimes for a quick 30 minutes, sometimes longer), and we nap or sit on the covered porch and read while it rains around us. We like that sort of afternoon.