• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
PBS tonight (4/19/16)! 10 Towns that Changed America will feature Seaside, FL along with other towns listed below in this episode. Read more at PBS online. This is part of 10 That Changed America series (10 homes, parks, towns, buildings)..

About the Program

10 Towns that Changed America focuses on ten “experimental” towns that did not evolve organically over time, but instead were designed (or redesigned) from the ground up by visionary architects, corporations, and citizens, who sought to change the lives of residents using architecture, design, and urban planning. Some of these visionaries were driven by an ideology, others were trying to serve their own financial interests, but all had one thing in common: they believed in the power of our built environment to change the way we live. The 10 towns:

• St. Augustine, FL WATCH CLIP
  • Philadelphia, PA
  • Salt Lake City, UT
  • Riverside, IL
  • Pullman – Chicago, IL
  • Greenbelt, MD
  • Levittown, NY
  • Southwest Washington, D.C.
  • Seaside, FL
  • Pearl District – Portland, OR
140731-seaside-007-70-sowal-2000.jpg

A note from our friends at Seaside FL regarding tonight's show:

SEASIDE is honored to be included in the new PBS documentary, “10 Towns That Changed America!”

The one hour show airs tonight, Tuesday, April 19 at 8 p.m. CST.

“10 Towns That Changed America,” is part of a series of documentaries about the history of our American places and spaces that are sharp, well told, attractive, dynamic and well worth your time. When the producers visited Seaside to film, they truly researched, sought out, interviewed and followed up with us several times in order to tell the story, get the facts straight and pull out the valuable gems that make Seaside unique and the reasons for its impact.

We hope you will enjoy watching it!

160319-seaside-005-sowal-2000.jpg

kayti elliott

Beach Lover
Feb 19, 2014
Freeport
I've never really understood the appeal of Seaside. For me it's just another trendy upscale place for the rich to hang out. But then again everything along 30a is too crowded with insane traffic.

Low Brow

Beach Lover
Jan 13, 2014
I've never really understood the appeal of Seaside. For me it's just another trendy upscale place for the rich to hang out. But then again everything along 30a is too crowded with insane traffic.

Urban Planning. You dont understand the appeal to Seaside, just think of what it could look like. That is the significance. The forethought of what was coming and to maximize the use but minimize the impact.

As far as appeal of Seaside, well, I get that. All of 30A is just as you described. But even I can appreciate what has been done to differentiate it from other places.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
you would have to see the episode or read about everything that went into the incredible planning by renown architects and planners with vision for the town, even the roads and connecting trails throughout the town have a certain role and significance. Much detail.. I love this town but probably wouldn't live there. It makes for a wonderful resort place for visiting with everything within walking distance. I can imagine it being a regular town without tourism and it would be ideal for a permanent residence, but then again the merchants probably wouldn't survive. It's a unique little world and I do appreciate it greatly. We visit drive over from our bayside and enjoy it constantly - for over 20 years! The farmers market is outstanding every Saturday. LOTS of great dining and shopping. And just people watching.

Our school is there too which is an outstanding charter school. The Seaside Institute brings in artists and professionals from many fields and promotes education and programs for adults year round. The Seaside REP brings the arts to our community. I do find the town of Seaside to be very open to everyone and giving to our whole SoWal community unlike other resort towns. And perhaps that's what makes it a real town.

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
Great idea that became a pricey tourist town by the Sea. I enjoy it when not too crowded. Pretty awesome to go on vacation there anytime and be 10 minutes fromy house.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I can imagine it being a regular town without tourism and it would be ideal for a permanent residence, but then again the merchants probably wouldn't survive.
It's really a major source of irony that Seaside happened to be situated on one of the most beautiful stretches of beach anywhere in the world. It's popularity is, for the most part, because of it's design being pedestrian friendly and on a scale that is human, and friendly. It's almost an afterthought that it presides by the sea. I remember hearing Robert Davis say, way back in the early 80's that he envisioned Seaside becoming "like a park, in the middle of a sprawling urban landscape". And it looks like that is what happened.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
I enjoy Seaside all the time. Loud , quiet, crowded, it doesn't matter. Grab a tall one at Modica's and people watch. Doesn't get any better.

seabythegrove

Beach Fanatic
Nov 16, 2012
I'm not sure Bernie Sanders thinks Seaside has really changed America. Maybe Donald Trump does...

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
I'm not sure Bernie Sanders thinks Seaside has really changed America. Maybe Donald Trump does...
As much as I hate Trump, I'd rather dine with him than Bernie.