• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
It’s time to talk about A Better South Walton. Are you ready?

After nearly a year of work A Better South Walton is pleased to announce community meetings scheduled in May. Each one will include a history of the organization, our options, the process and timeline of incorporating a city, the results of the recent survey, the findings of the long-awaited Feasibility Study and how you can get involved.

Following the presentations a question and answer session will conclude the meetings. Come out to hear data and info about South Walton that has never been available before or shared with the public.

“We are here to ask questions and seek answers to the complex issues facing South Walton. It is critical that we gain insight from the public on their views. The Feasibility Study will be reviewed and vetted by the Florida League of Cities and the Institute of Government of the University of Central Florida. It’s time to talk about what is best for South Walton,” said Vice President, Dave Rauschkolb.

The meetings are open to the public and everyone is encouraged to attend.

The Meeting Schedule:

Monday, May 9th, 5:30-7 p.m., Rosemary Beach Town Hall
S. Barrett Square, Rosemary Beach

Wednesday, May 11th, 5:30-7 p.m., 560 Grand Boulevard
the former Coldwater Creek location
across from Grand Park and Cantina Laredo

Thursday, May 12th, 5:30-7 p.m., 560 Grand Boulevard
the former Coldwater Creek location across from Grand Park and Cantina Laredo

ABSW’s mission is to seek more effective governance and local representation for South Walton to preserve and enhance its unique character, property values and quality of life.

See more at abettersouthwalton.org, sign up for the newsletter. The website provides an overview of the organization, its mission, meet the team of SoWal people, and information about the study, surveys and what's to come. You can also donate, join the team and find out how to get involved.

Take the online survey about options for South Walton's future!

sowal-map.jpg

Last edited:

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Taxes won't increase. We would actually gain revenue from state funds. Very impressed.

Taxes won't increase? Who's selling that bill of goods? Unless Roskhoub is footing the bill, that's B.S.

I'm all for South Walton Incorporation, but if someone is selling it with no increase to taxes, I'm not buying.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
I'm with John G. I am all for trying to keep more of whats is generated south of the bay here but I dont think another level of government is the answer. Once you incorporate you are going to have even more "officials" to pay,not to mention the "city" services that will need to be paid for (i.e. police, trash etc). I think the best solution is the one that has been talked about for decades and that is SO.Walton becoming its own COUNTY.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
I'm with John G. I am all for trying to keep more of whats is generated south of the bay here but I dont think another level of government is the answer. Once you incorporate you are going to have even more "officials" to pay,not to mention the "city" services that will need to be paid for (i.e. police, trash etc). I think the best solution is the one that has been talked about for decades and that is SO.Walton becoming its own COUNTY.

That's the Perfect Solution (Cure), but I don't see that happening.

ADKINSON has already got this group in his bag as they parise him, yet 50% of the problems on that silly survey are about Enforcement issues.

He has a lot to loose if they create another jurisdiction.

Parking, traffic, etc., who's going to handle that? SoWal needs its own.

Oh we'll "contract" with the WCSO and Adkinson... BS. He'll steel more of our tax $$$ for his team to make big bucks sitting on arses and while minamal staff respond to calls.

A SoWal controlled Arm of Law Enforcement truly scares Sheriff Mike.

He needs fully control for "favors" and information. Politricks.

Parking tickets alone in a jurisdiction can generate tons of revenue. Our County just chooses to not pursue the $$$. We can but won't.

Anyone get the stats in the past several years of Spring Break arrest fines? Yet to see it... Hear all about it. Who defended those kids? Who proffited? What % paid the fine into the County budget?

Lots of questions, no answers from anyone.

Be careful who you buy from.

Beachlover2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 17, 2005
SoWal
The presentation gave the numbers and figures - police etc would still be contracted by the county - no new police force etc. The presentation will be up on the website in the next week or so. Read it before you decide.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Taxes won't increase. We would actually gain revenue from state funds. Very impressed.
I guess I will have to wait for the presentation to come online. To say there will be no tax increase because revenue would come from the State. If that is true, how come the City of Freeport has a tax and provides a limited amount of services?