• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

mar1na

Beach Comber
Apr 7, 2009
Maybe for handicapped access??......btw, I am a full time resident, familiar with area and ride my bike through there regularly.
Cindy Meadows suggested in a past meeting to create a couple of parallel spots for drop-off purposes (possibly handicap) - I would regard this as a good temporary compromise while the other steps I stated are taken. Since you do know the area, I assume you realize there is no lawful turnaround for vehicles currently? All vehicles are turning around using private driveways and parking lots - this is another issue Commissioners Meadows and Jones have agreed needs to be rectified, but no proposals to date have ever taken this into account.

mar1na

Beach Comber
Apr 7, 2009
Just curious, should only private property owners be able to build walkovers and not public? Look at the area satellite map, there are many private walkovers.
Also in the long run, walkovers assist in dune protection. Please consider a reasonable solution.
Just a side note - we own a rental property and guests seek out our area when they have elderly or handicapped members within their reservation because the beach access is flat sand with no walkover.

WMW

Beach Comber
Mar 28, 2014
Just a side note - we own a rental property and guests seek out our area when they have elderly or handicapped members within their reservation because the beach access is flat sand with no walkover.
So, someone in a wheelchair/walker prefers sand vs a walkover ramp to the beach?
I believe we should work towards beach accessibility, vs roadblocks. Once again, please seek a reasonable solution.

Last edited:

mar1na

Beach Comber
Apr 7, 2009
So, someone in a wheelchair/walker prefers sand vs a walkover ramp to the beach?
I believe we should work towards beach accessibility, vs roadblocks. Once again, please seek a reasonable solution.

Yes - in fact my property has been sought out by both elderly and handicapped for that very reason. In summary, the Walton Dunes Neighborhood Beach Access is currently accessible to the public and has more parking spaces than is demanded....so, what problem are you seeking a solution for?

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
This has NIMBY written all over it.......

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
Why oppose the addition of bathroom facilities? One of the common complaints is that people use the dunes in absence of any facilities. So adding bathrooms all along the coast answers a common complaint and enhances the beach experience for everyone.

Mike Jones

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2008
There are not many public beach accesses that have enough space for anything more than a boardwalk. Every beach property owned by the county was always meant to be maximized. Every access could, and probably will, end up with maximum amount of parking and restrooms if feasible. No neighborhood should be surprised or try to stand in the way of it.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
Why would we expend tax dollars to purchase property and then not enhance it to benefit the greatest number of taxpayers? Since taxpayers include visitors, the enhancements can be designed to benefit them as well.

hi n dry

Beach Lover
Sep 12, 2005
The beach owners in the area around the proposed Walton Dunes/Beach front Trail are making up all sorts of disingenuous excuses to block a county proposal to make a convenient Regional Beach access for all the public to access.

Currently this access is primarily used exclusively by neighbors and for county beach vehicle access.

The current parking is up an incline 2 blocks away because the neighbors whined that they did not want street parking on county right of way near beach .

The roads to this beach access is not through a middle of a neighborhood. It is an access road for numerous condos and developments.

It is hypocritical to now say that it was acceptable to build all the houses and condos but now demand the county shut the door on the public accessing one of the most beautiful beaches along 30A corridor.

If you really want to see a beach access through a neighborhood go to Grayton Beach .

It is the epitome of hypocrisy complain about damaging the environment in a once pristine area that the complainers themselves have irreparably scarred by bulldozing the dunes to pave roads and parking lots, and build houses and condominiums.

The dunes that were scarred and destroyed by the current owners in this area were the valuable and irreplaceable Secondary and Mature Backdunes.

The dunes on the public access are Primary dunes . The purpose of these Primary Frontal Dunes is to help protect the Secondary and Mature Backdunes. These sacrificial dunes would likely be washed away in the next tropical storm.

A properly designed beach access facility at this location will only serve to enhance the buffer function of these Primary Dunes

The shameless owners in this area simply do not want the public to use this public beach and are desperately using every phony claim to stop the county from acting in the public's best interest.

The proposed Regional Walton Dunes beach access would be the only Regional access from Seagrove Beach to Inlet Beach.

The county is currently getting pummeled by the beach owners around Walton Dunes.

If anyone wants a nice Regional access on this beautiful public beach then they need to write to the TDC and county commissioners asap.
Plus be at the public workshop on June 8.

The public's right to use the beach is meaningless if they can't easily access it.

As is the premise for our wonderful National Park system the beaches are “For the Benefit and Enjoyment of ALL the People”, not just the few.

TDC
Brian Kellenberger
Jay@visitsouthwalton.com

County Commissioners:

Cindy Meadows - meacindy@co.walton.fl.us
Bill Chapman - chabill@co.walton.fl.us
Sara Comander - comsara@co.walton.fl.us
Cecilia Jones - joncecilia@co.walton.fl.us
Bill Imfeld - imfbill@co.walton.fl.us

hi n dry

Beach Lover
Sep 12, 2005
I don't understand the comments or this string. There is already a beach access here and parking. Any development along the beach would require removal of the dunes which I wouldn't think anyone would want. And adding beach walkovers when there are already flat land paths through the dunes is nonsensical.

It is the epitome of hypocrisy for owners in this to complain about damaging the environment.

These owners are ones who bulldozed the irreplaceable Secondary and Mature Backdunes to pave roads and parking lots, and build houses and condominiums.

The dunes on the public access are Primary dunes ,

The purpose of these Primary Frontal Dunes is to help protect the Secondary and Mature Backdunes. These sacrificial dunes would likely be washed away in the next tropical storm.

A properly designed beach access facility at this location will only serve to enhance the buffer function of these Primary Dunes.

The current neighborhood beach access parking is very impractical for driving beach goers; it is 2 blocks away and there is no restroom.