• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
So to make sure that I am fully educated on the beach situation, can someone explain why people are putting up signs, ropes and other blockade devices to restrict people from walking on the beach?

I am a new homeowner that spent a lot of money for a beautiful home, not directly on the beach but with the knowledge that these beautiful beaches are public and NOT restricted by homeowners who have oceanfront property.

If there is more to the story, please fill me in. If there's a class action lawsuit against these homeowners that think they can patrol public beach property, please let me know the name of the law firm, I'm ready to jump in and fight these arrogant a*******!!!

Due to an increase in the number of people visiting our area, we have simply run out of beach at the local, public beach accesses.
The additional people have started to move to the east and west of the accesses and some, onto private property.

Due to the recent decline in the quality of people visiting (rule breakers) their behavior has prompted homeowners to take steps to protect their private property.

Due to the inability of our elected Sheriff to enforce Trespassing Laws of the State, owners now must comply with a multiple page document, created by the aforementioned elected official in order to get any level of law enforcement service.

Due to the specific provisions of the multipage document referenced, (SOP or standard operating procedure), owners are putting up clearly visible boundaries and signs, as required.

That, in a nut shell is the problem.

Now, most recently, people are antagonizing the issue on both sides.

More and more signs, everywhere a sign.

A Community Organizer stirring the pot and calling for civilized anarchy for a day on the beach.

Not how you solve problems. This is how you create more of them.

Go back to the Source of the problem.

Overcrowding & Quality of Visitor.

Fix that and you'll start to see some change for the better.

Jenksy

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2012
@John G

There you go again. :rolleyes:

Blaming the sheriff and rule breakers. I agree that people in general (visitors) are more entitled. Partl because of the price of rentals so only the entitled can afford. People who pay thousands per week feel they own the place. Imagine that!

I also agree somewhat that the sheriff's rules about placing signs and such are ludicrous and he should be leading rather than following. But he is just part of the lack of leadership around here.

What's really changed is the quality of owners. Sad fearful people who buy property here and want to change decades of beach loving tradition. Real locals live here for the beach. Most of the new beachfront owners don't care about the beach. They just want to own it and exclude others. They aren't even here to see people on "their" beach - but their lawyers are telling them to keep people off to protect their investment.

Why do you care about private property on the beach? :dunno:

Conn006

Beach Lover
Feb 5, 2016
So which accesses are overcrowded and have visitors and locals impeding on this quote private property? Is it all of them or just certain ones?

Mike Jones

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2008
So which accesses are overcrowded and have visitors and locals impeding on this quote private property? Is it all of them or just certain ones?
Mostly the main accesses that have a lot of parking nearby or lots of housing nearby. It depends - there are many neighborhood accesses that are quiet, and they are supposed to be. And there are small, quiet accesses which are next to ass holy private beach owners.

And then there are especially stinky private examples like Gulf Trace in Grayton Beach. A relatively small, isolated subdivision with plenty of room for everyone. Some property owners beside the accesses are trying to keep everyone else in the subdivision off their beach. These are not public accesses, but rather an internal fight about whether or not non-gulf front owners can use the beach they've been using for decades.

Conn006

Beach Lover
Feb 5, 2016
So we use Gulf Heights in Santa Rosa Beach/Grayton-----is this a problem access where it is overcrowded with gulf owners marking their territory? We purchased a home in Aug and have not seen any problems when we are there but we are not full timers in the area...yet... Actually that's not true, we noticed many vendor set ups with no one using them!

Jenksy

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2012
So we use Gulf Heights in Santa Rosa Beach/Grayton-----is this a problem access where it is overcrowded with gulf owners marking their territory? We purchased a home in Aug and have not seen any problems when we are there but we are not full timers in the area...yet... Actually that's not true, we noticed many vendor set ups with no one using them!
Do you mean Gulfview Heights access behind Goatfeathers, or ...?

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
...... I'm ready to jump in and fight these arrogant a*******!!!

You just got here (relatively speaking) and you're ready to pull the trigger and jump on the "class warfare" bandwagon. I think that's what I hate most about all of this public/private beach crap. It polarizes everyone and makes enemies among those that would normally get along.

"You've legally got what I want but if you don't hand it over, I'm going to call you bad names and take you to court."

Since you haven't been around very long, based on you definition, I must be one of those "arrogant a*******". I would hope you could elevate your position. Yes, I remain optimistic.

FoX

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
off the beach
www.thesimpsons.com
You just got here (relatively speaking) and you're ready to pull the trigger and jump on the "class warfare" bandwagon. I think that's what I hate most about all of this public/private beach crap. It polarizes everyone and makes enemies among those that would normally get along.

"You've legally got what I want but if you don't hand it over, I'm going to call you bad names and take you to court."

Since you haven't been around very long, based on you definition, I must be one of those "arrogant a*******". I would hope you could elevate your position. Yes, I remain optimistic.
The sand belongs to human beings. It should unite us, not divides us.

Conn006

Beach Lover
Feb 5, 2016