• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
You don't know Dave, obviously.
That comment sounds too much like a quote from an old political debate .

BTW, Kirk mentioned that he tries to stay out of the political conversations. However I've been meaning to ask you if you are acting as a surrogate political commentator on behalf of SoWal.com since your title is "moderator" when you take many politically charged positions?...some I agree with and some I disagree with.

Anyway, I think John G has very clearly portrayed this individual's core makeup and I couldn't agree more. And I don't say that lightly or without a lot of history. Too many including his entourage are star struck with this individual.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
That comment sounds too much like a quote from an old political debate .

BTW, Kirk mentioned that he tries to stay out of the political conversations. However I've been meaning to ask you if you are acting as a surrogate political commentator on behalf of SoWal.com since your title is "moderator" when you take many politically charged positions?...some I agree with and some I disagree with.

Anyway, I think John G has very clearly portrayed this individual's core makeup and I couldn't agree more. And I don't say that lightly or without a lot of history. Too many including his entourage are star struck with this individual.
I have a personal stake in our community as a resident and have opinions like anyone else here. I enjoy learning from others and respect all positions here on the forum - the interesting thing is that we all have different situations and perspectives - we all gain from hearing from each other. My moderator duty is administrative and editorial and that's it. Moderators are people too.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
Dave is a good role model, environmentalist, and businessman. Ask anyone who has ever worked for him and they will tell you he treats people fair - salary, benefits, etc. He keeps the best staff for many years. I am fine going to jail if it means keeping the beaches free of clutter and free for all. Private beach is a terrible idea. Just ask crabs and turtles and most of the humans.

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
As I understand it the incorperation area to be included is everything south of the bay within Walton County. If this is true then wouldn't Destin and Sandestin be a part, and if they are, given their size relative to the area on 30a (where most of the complaints and impetus are originating) wouldn't the Town Council and Mayor soon be dominated by those areas because of the voter density? My concern is we would be just trading a distant and largely indifferent (to 30a problems) Defuniak Springs for another similar situation just located to the West. Our problems need local solutions within a much smaller geographic description (30a north to the Bay).

seabythegrove

Beach Fanatic
Nov 16, 2012
Destin is in Okaloosa County.
More government does not ensure the situation would change. If the vote is to incorporate, maybe Bernie Sanders could be hired as the city manager.

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
As I understand it the incorperation area to be included is everything south of the bay within Walton County. If this is true then wouldn't Destin and Sandestin be a part, and if they are, given their size relative to the area on 30a (where most of the complaints and impetus are originating) wouldn't the Town Council and Mayor soon be dominated by those areas because of the voter density? My concern is we would be just trading a distant and largely indifferent (to 30a problems) Defuniak Springs for another similar situation just located to the West. Our problems need local solutions within a much smaller geographic description (30a north to the Bay).
Walton County includes Sandestin and Miramar Beach, Destin is already a city. Sandestin and Miramar Beach I'm guessing will resist.

Looking into my crystal ball a few years I see one big city from Destin to Panama City and north to I-10. Hopefully the state forest will remain a nice oasis of green space.

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
Unfortunately, the results of Panama City and Destin incorporation isn't the greatest testimony for incorporating South Walton IMO.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Walton County includes Sandestin and Miramar Beach, Destin is already a city. Sandestin and Miramar Beach I'm guessing will resist.

Looking into my crystal ball a few years I see one big city from Destin to Panama City and north to I-10. Hopefully the state forest will remain a nice oasis of green space.
City of Destin and Panama City Beach will never be a city yo include SoWal. Different taxing, Panama City Beach has a sales tax and their own issues with zoning, Destin has issues with infrastructure issue much like SoWal and I certainly don't see the residents of SoWal wanting anymore of that. Now if what you were saying was in jest, you got me

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I don't think it was in jest. Overall, it is a bad idea. As I have said previously, if Seaside, Alys Beach or Rosemary wish to incorporate, be my guest. Leave areas such as BMB out of it. Everyone I talk to is happy the way it is. We don't need more government, taxes and problems than we already have. Incorportation from Bay County border to Okaloosa County border is a bald idea.