• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

hi n dry

Beach Lover
Sep 12, 2005
Just for the record - I am not a gulf front property owner and I understand that is an entirely separate issue the county is looking to resolve - please don't bundle these two issues. As Commissioner Meadows stated in the last BCC meeting - there are no other county owned public beach NBAs that are off 30A that have been expanded to be an RBA. The issue here is the county diving deep into a neighborhood where we have no safety measures in place to handle any increase in traffic as well as the existing parking lot is not being used.

The roads to this beach access is not through a middle of a neighborhood.

It is a main access street for numerous condos and developments.

It is hypocritical and discriminatory to use the "too much traffic card" to keep out the public when most of the traffic in this area is and always will be local.

The hidden agenda of the owners in this area is that they do not want any "strangers" using 'their" public road and beach.

correction:
TDC Director Jay Tusa
jay@visitsouthwalton.com

TDC : Brian Kellengberger
brian@visitsouthwalton.com

Last edited:

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Well said and right on the mark. It applies to BMB as well. Some are just greedy and old. I'm just old, but fortunately endowed with good common sense, something I find lacking in some beachfront owners.

WMW

Beach Comber
Mar 28, 2014
This looks very reasonable and well planned. It also solves turn around issues. It will be an asset for the community & county residents.

Walton Dunes Conceptual Layout.jpg

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
This looks very reasonable and well planned. It also solves turn around issues. It will be an asset for the community & county residents.

View attachment 60201

It really does " look" good.

Is anyone going to actually Enforce parking laws, if and when someone parks illegally on the road when all spots are taken? EMS would have a hard time getting to the residences there if some parked in typical SoWal fashion.

That lot will also be fairly obstructed from view so "someone" will need to actually do security patrols there.

I really like it, looks good. We'll see what happens.

hi n dry

Beach Lover
Sep 12, 2005
What is really laughable are the owners near this beach access who claim to be so concerned about disturbing these small PFD dunes.

These owners bull dosed large mature secondary dues to develop their condos, parking lots, driveways, and houses.

Yet they hypocritically want to deny the public of a much needed Regional Beach Access.

The county has carefully designed this Regional Beach Access to minimize the impact on the environment.

The county also plans to stabilize the dunes with natural vegetation.

The fenced in beach walkover will also stop the current trampling and erosion of the vegetation and dunes.

ecopal

Beach Fanatic
Apr 26, 2005
Today, Wednesday June 8 at 5:30 at the 331 South Walton Beach annex, the public will have an opportunity to voice support for the proposed Walton Dunes Regional Beach Access.

This new Regional Beach Access will provide on site parking and bathrooms with 240 feet of public beach.

This proposed TDC Regional Access would also offer the most convenient user friendly beach access on 30A for the elderly, families with small children, and the physically challenged including our wounded warrior veterans.

The county commissioners need to approve this access for the greater good of the majority of Walton County residents and visitors who drive to the beach.

The current number of Regional Beach accesses on 30A are grossly inadequate for the increasing number of residents and Spring and Summer visitors.

Everyone will have an opportunity to speak for 3 minutes after the TDC does a presentation of the proposed Regional Beach Access site plan.

Note that there is organized opposition by those that own near or on the beach next to this county property.

Please try to attend to show your support or there is a good chance this will not get approved.

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
This has NIMBY written all over it.......
I hear NIMBY used a lot in Walton County. My question would be this: If the people who are most affected by an action did not look out for their "back yard" (neighborhood/community), who do you think will? I bet if an action of the TDC or County was of concern to you or your neighborhood, you would like your concerns heard.

Garner

Beach Fanatic
Don't forget this important meeting tonight at 5:30. Many will argue that the restrooms should be moved to the existing parking lot. This lot is 1/4 mile north of the beach, which if any of you have ever had a small child, is an insurmountable 425 + yards. Also, with the restroom facility at the access, there is a great possibility that we can get lifeguards on that beach. We have had several drownings in the panhandle this week, and isn't it worth it for that alone?

WMW

Beach Comber
Mar 28, 2014
a reasonable solution would involve; for safety installing a widened sidewalk around curves and to existing lot, creating some additional parking spaces by property (handicapped, etc...), a bathroom and walkovers.

At the conclusion of meeting, looks like this is the way the wind is blowing. Hopefully, owners will be open and reasonable.