• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
Kurt,

You and I go back a long way (in SoWal time). I've admired your business acumen and sincerely appreciate this platform you provide. I believe you and I currently disagree on just one main issue - whether or not the beach should be public vs. private property rights. Of course there are all the splinter arguments that go along with this topic as discussed in this thread and elsewhere. And you're wise not to get too involved as you mentioned in a recent post, no matter how tempting.

I agree with you that it's probably too late for Florida to become an Oregon as far as the customary use argument. And very sadly, there's nothing but litigious activity on the horizon, with the county threatening to pile on. As mentioned before. our association has already had to fork out $50,000 to fight the county on a private easement situation. We prevailed in the Florida Supreme Court. It was a case that should not even have been filed in the first place but the BCC folded to the pressure from their constituents in our neighborhood. That's what I mean when I say it doesn't cost the individual commissioners a dime to file or force a lawsuit - only the taxpayers and the "wronged" party end up footing the bill.

As a capitalist and entrepreneur, I thought you'd be a little more empathetic with the idea of protecting one's private property rights. All of your business comes from BOTH sides of this argument. All this growth, which you help foster to some degree, BTW, is what has brought this topic to the forefront combined with self-entitled attitudes combined with politicians pandering to their constituency combined with agents and developers selling a deedless dream. It's a perfect recipe for an anti-private property rights lynch mob. And that's exactly where we are today.

I started out with absolutely nothing; went to college at my own expense working at grocery stores and got a student loan, made a few dollars working hard and invested heavily (by my economic standards) in Blue Mountain Beach gulf-front property because I loved its beauty and believed in the investment (still wondering about the ROI vs. original cost, plus maintenance, seawalls, sand. personal labor and heartache vs. a simple mutual fund :) - sadly I think I know the answer). It concerns me when the overall majority of posters try to continually classify beach front owners as "mean, rich and greedy" and only a hand full of posters (if that) jump in defense of these personal attacks. Perhaps some readers are just afraid to take a stand for private property rights for fear of personal attacks from these same people.

I do admit that I exhibit great emotion and motivation when I feel “wronged by the government" in any form. And these feelings naturally spill on to individuals and groups who, in my opinion, attempt to add credence to private property confiscation.

I really don’t know what’s worse, the beaches becoming public and out of control (compared to our existing private beach) or all this hostility of which I am a part of. And in my book, hostility is also defined as the actions of others trying to take what's yours.

In the end, this topic is like debating abortion. There is no winner – just a lot of raw emotions brought to the surface.

raven316

Beach Lover
Nov 12, 2007
Athens, GA
Well, I
Good luck with that.
Well I've been here 5 days. The first evening I set up and carefully watched where people were in the water and waded to past the first sandbar and casted. A woman came up to me and told me it was dangerous and I should move. I thanked here and said I wasn't going anywhere and she needed to do what she needed to do. She left and the police came abut 20 minutes later. The officer could not have been nicer and told me I had as much right as anyone else on the beach. I'm now fishing from early morning until about 11 and going back about 5:30. Sure, it's not like it is in November but it's still fun and the redfish have been hitting.

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
Well, I

Well I've been here 5 days. The first evening I set up and carefully watched where people were in the water and waded to past the first sandbar and casted. A woman came up to me and told me it was dangerous and I should move. I thanked here and said I wasn't going anywhere and she needed to do what she needed to do. She left and the police came abut 20 minutes later. The officer could not have been nicer and told me I had as much right as anyone else on the beach. I'm now fishing from early morning until about 11 and going back about 5:30. Sure, it's not like it is in November but it's still fun and the redfish have been hitting.
Good luck fishing and I hope you get a good bull and have a wonderful time here. I would love to see some pictures!

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
And be sure to purchase your FL State fishing license, which is now required, even for surf fishing.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
On the issue. some gulf front owners are A holes and some are awesome. But a few bad apples set the tone, even trying to keep people from walking on the beach. That's ridiculous! But all gulf front owners are now represented by the bad ones. Gulf front owners need to condemn the bad ones. Ruining the beach experience with signs and ropes needs to stop and we need to speak out.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
There are LAWS and the owners don't know them all. They do NOT own all the way to the wet sand ( really not even close)"...Your response!"please show me your 2016 survey!!" They MUST update yearly!! If they can't furnish updated survey tell them they have no authority over where you are ..If they show you their southern property line survey and your or on it, apologize and move own.......Doubt you will move very often....

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
On the issue. some gulf front owners are A holes and some are awesome. But a few bad apples set the tone, even trying to keep people from walking on the beach. That's ridiculous! But all gulf front owners are now represented by the bad ones. Gulf front owners need to condemn the bad ones. Ruining the beach experience with signs and ropes needs to stop and we need to speak out.

On the issue. some tourists are A holes and some are awesome. But a few bad apples set the tone, even leaving trash, using glass and dogs off the leash. That's ridiculous! But all tourists are now represented by the bad ones. Good tourists need to condemn the bad ones. Ruining the beach experience with pee in dunes, glass on beach, dogs off leash and leaving trash behind needs to stop and we need to speak out.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
On the issue. some tourists are A holes and some are awesome. But a few bad apples set the tone, even leaving trash, using glass and dogs off the leash. That's ridiculous! But all tourists are now represented by the bad ones. Good tourists need to condemn the bad ones. Ruining the beach experience with pee in dunes, glass on beach, dogs off leash and leaving trash behind needs to stop and we need to speak out.
Sorry but you can't fix this with enforcement. South Walton is now overrun with tourism and so many of them don't have respect or manners. Honestly - I would sell my beach property or rent it out is I owned any. No worth the hassle. And I wouldn't want to have to rely on police around here to protect anything, especially stupid stuff like glass on the beach and dune destruction. The county sanctioned dune destruction with seawalls and letting people build wherever they want. Were you one of them,?

Tourism has flooded in. You are the little girl with your finger in the dike. But the seal level has risen and is spilling over.

The alternative is to chill out and have a cocktail. Don't be the old man yelling at the kids to get off your lawn.

gailforce

Beach Lover
Aug 29, 2015
Seacrest
image.png
There are LAWS and the owners don't know them all. They do NOT own all the way to the wet sand ( really not even close)"...Your response!"please show me your 2016 survey!!" They MUST update yearly!! If they can't furnish updated survey tell them they have no authority over where you are ..If they show you their southern property line survey and your or on it, apologize and move own.......Doubt you will move very often....
These papers and sealed survey are for the sheriff's department eyes first.