• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
I'm a perfectly 'ordinaary' woman and I'd like to note:

In the 90s, I was assaulted by another woman in the bathroom of the Pensacola Civic Center. Arena security was rather spectacular in not giving a damn about it. No conservative groups seem terribly concerned about that kind of thing.

I've also used my share of (typically single stall) men's rooms over the years, often at the urging of a store manager or owner who saw me waiting for the ladies' room while the men's was clearly open. The laws now in place are so sweeping as to turn a kindness by the manager into a criminal act.

They also criminalize things like not letting an elderly man enter a women's restroom with his disabled wife in order to assist her with toileting or would force a 4-6 year old boy to use the men's side of the toilets at a public rest stop instead of being under safe watch of his mother in the women's room during that time. (When I'm feeling cranky, I call the bathroom laws the 'Freedom to molest children at rest stops act')

They're demolishing the county courthouse in Crestview right now- toxic mold that would just cost too much to remediate compared to building a new one. Before they tore it down, the facilities manager gave a tour to a writer from the Daily News, and it was talked about how, in 1950s Southern public building practices, you put in three restrooms- white women, white men, and 'colored men and women' who were expected to share a small and inferior toilet space in a building sub-basement next to the filing cabinet labeled 'beware of the panther'.

What's this long-standing Southern obsession with which type or person uses which type of restroom anyways?

LarsAtTheBeach

Beach Fanatic
Jul 19, 2008
I do not like this whole thing. Just another politically and media driven issue that divides people.
If someone has gender identity issues I wish them peace.

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
Teresa, this has to do with the rights of the vast majority and allowing the school administration to handle the very small minority of issues in a tactful and private way. Think of the consequences of what you are proposing. Say a 15 year old girl decides she is a boy today and enters the boys locker room. First, no teacher is going to be in those locker rooms anymore because of the liability issues. So that child is going to be in a room with a bunch of 15 year old boys. Bullying and sexual harassment would probably be the mildest thing that would occur. This disaster is contrasted with what would happen now. That child would be allowed to use a private bathroom and other students would not have much if any knowledge or interaction.
Whoa! Say that again, Danny. There is NO teacher in locker rooms due to liability issues? When did this happen?

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
Hasn't happened yet because bathrooms are not open to any who "feels" a particular way yet. What I said was place yourself in a teachers position. If either sex can go into whichever locker room or restroom they choose, what teacher will go in there? Would you allow yourself to be in a room with an undressed/half-dressed teenager of the opposite sex? The answer is no one would risk their career in that manner. Teachers will go solely to the staff rest rooms and the students will have free reign in the student areas with no supervision. This is reality.

Poppaj

SoWal Insider
Oct 9, 2015
I'm reading her daughters were frightened by three tall women with deep voices. Did I miss something?