• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

LarsAtTheBeach

Beach Fanatic
Jul 19, 2008
We were in the area over the weekend running my Labrador Retriever gun dog. (Training). At a friends large farm.
My wife noted, I hope nothing comes out of the woods after me. I reminded her:
A- we are not at top of food chain up there.
B- it's why I carry a sidearm when I'm "up the country".

Be safe out there.

LarsAtTheBeach

Beach Fanatic
Jul 19, 2008
Dang. I've been a little nervous when walking nature trails in our state parks and forests alone. Wondering what's in those woods. I usually take my big lab Shadow. She would protect me but I'm worried for her.
I've been face to face with a wild coyote. Unarmed. It won't happen again.
And while my Lab is a professionally trained hunter/retriever...she stands no chance in a fight with a wild dog.

However, I'm a nature junkie. And a predawn walk in the woods with coyote howling in the near distance is hair raising and exhilarating.

And this is not chest beating on my part. As I'm as moved watching nesting birds and swarming butterflies.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
My lab isn't trained but she's a true alpha and can be aggressive though I've never seen her hurt another animal.. I have seen her put other dogs in their place quick. I'm sure she would fight a wild animal and be protective of me but I don't know what would be the outcome.

debesquire

Beach Lover
Aug 15, 2010
I've been face to face with a wild coyote. Unarmed. It won't happen again.
And while my Lab is a professionally trained hunter/retriever...she stands no chance in a fight with a wild dog.

However, I'm a nature junkie. And a predawn walk in the woods with coyote howling in the near distance is hair raising and exhilarating.

And this is not chest beating on my part. As I'm as moved watching nesting birds and swarming butterflies.

Teresa and Lars: If you are going walking in the forest, especially alone, you need a livestock guardian dog- specifically a Great Pyrenees. Preferably two of them. They can handle coyotes easily (that's what they have been bred for) and bears (that's what the shepherds and silviculture workers of British Columbia use them for). Only trouble is they are nocturnal and not suited at all for the Florida climate and have a host of other traits that make them "challenging" (see my post from a good while back when someone was trying to sell Great Pyr puppies on SoWal). But they are the best there is for protection against coyotes and bears in the wild. Don't know how they would do up against a bobcat, but infinitely better than a Lab I'm sure.

debesquire

Beach Lover
Aug 15, 2010
Teresa and Lars: If you are going walking in the forest, especially alone, you need a livestock guardian dog- specifically a Great Pyrenees. Preferably two of them. They can handle coyotes easily (that's what they have been bred for) and bears (that's what the shepherds and silviculture workers of British Columbia use them for). Only trouble is they are nocturnal and not suited at all for the Florida climate and have a host of other traits that make them "challenging" (see my post from a good while back when someone was trying to sell Great Pyr puppies on SoWal). But they are the best there is for protection against coyotes and bears in the wild. Don't know how they would do up against a bobcat, but infinitely better than a Lab I'm sure.
Just looked it up and Great Pyrs are also protection from bobcats and wolves.

BeachRob

Beach Lover
Nov 30, 2012
My lab isn't trained but she's a true alpha and can be aggressive though I've never seen her hurt another animal.. I have seen her put other dogs in their place quick. I'm sure she would fight a wild animal and be protective of me but I don't know what would be the outcome.

Between a dog and a bobcat? I do. Ever listen to Jerry Clower?

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
Bobcats are shy and mostly nocturnal. The report says the attack happened when the woman came out of a building. Probably surprised the cat into reacting.