• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
This Sand is my Sand, This Sand is your Sand. From Inlet Beach to the Topsail Park. This Samd was made for you and me. Pretty Catchy?

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
From WJHG

SOUTH WALTON, Fla. (WJHG/WECP) - It has been the topic of debate recently; signs, fences, ropes and chains across South Walton's beaches.

walton+county+crest.jpg

Tuesday, Walton County Commissioners held a public hearing, to make a change to their beach activities ordinance that would remove what some call obstructions from the beach, for good.

For close to two hours, those from both sides shared their opinions on the possible ordinance change.

“You are taking away our rights to put up signs. I agree they are not pleasing, but there has to be some other type of solution for us as property owners. Where is our advocate here today for us to enforce these rights,” said Temple Hager, a South Walton resident.

“[Signs] are hazardous, they're dangerous, they are unsightly, they're hateful. So I am going to use the acronym DUH, D-U-H—dangerous, unsightly, hostile,” said South Walton resident Garner Chandler.

At one point commissioners discussed changing the verbiage in the ordinance, and removing the chains, ropes and fences but leaving the signs.

But doing that would interfere with the county's “leave no trace” ordinance.
However, others say if the signs are taken down, it goes against the Walton County Sheriff's Office policy on how they handle trespassing cases.

“Without the signage that is required by this standard operating procedure will not enforce no trespassing ordinances and will make those beaches open to the public,” said Bob Brooke, a South Walton resident.

In the end, commissioners voted 3-2 to remove all items, including chains, fences, signs and ropes from all beaches in South Walton.

Commissioners Cecilia Jones, Sara Comander and Cindy Meadows voted for the ordinance change. Commissioners Bill Imfeld and Bill Chapman voted against the ordinance change.

Commissioners will have another meeting in the near future where they will go over a complete comprehensive plan for the beach, including resolving vendor issues, beach safety and maintenance, and enforcement.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Thanks to our BCC for protecting the sanctity of our beaches. WHAT were the BCC men thinking? They don't live here and so protecting the beaches isn't their concern? And private property with signs, ropes and fences is acceptable? That our customary use no longer matters? That safety and sea turtle nesting are not relevant? Signs and fences add to the beauty of the natural seascape? These people don't deserve to vote on our behalf.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Thanks to our BCC for protecting the sanctity of our beaches. WHAT were the BCC men thinking? They don't live here and so protecting the beaches isn't their concern? And private property with signs, ropes and fences is acceptable? That our customary use no longer matters? That safety and sea turtle nesting are not relevant? Signs and fences add to the beauty of the natural seascape? These people don't deserve to vote on our behalf.
Vote Em Out...wonder where they thing they will get their spending money when tourist get fed up and move on? This ain't there(tourist)only choice.

southof30A

Beach Lover
Nov 23, 2004
Did the two "NO" voters give any reasoning behind their decision? As citizens of Walton Co., don't we deserve to know? Let's press them for explanations.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Bonfire permits to be applied for
Beach TBD
Purpose: Everyone gather all private beach signs
Catch my drift?

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
NWFL Daily News Article...

Walton commissioners vote to remove signs, ropes from beach

All obstructions on the beach must come down, say Walton County Commissioners.

Well, three of them said that, and that was all that was needed.

BCC Chair Sara Comander took charge at Tuesday’s meeting and moved the most anticipated and controversial item on the agenda to the front to get it out of the way early. That item was the proposed amendment to Chapter 22 of the Beach Ordinance dealing with Leave No Trace. Specifically, the amendment addresses beachfront homeowners placing signs, poles, chains and roping off what they consider to be their gulf-front property.

“We need somebody on every half mile of beach to enforce (the ordinance),” said District 5 Commissioner Cindy Meadows. “We need management on the beach. We have to get out on those beaches and manage them and ramp up enforcement — as many as needed. We should be like Disney. We need to look at enforcement and cleaning up our beach. Ropes and chains need to go.

“It needs to look like we feature in our ads where we show one person out there on a float,” she added.

Emmett Hildreth of Blue Mountain Beach was the first Gulf-front property owner to address commissioners, reminding them of his freedom of speech and private property rights.

“People have a right to place whatever they want on their property,” he said. “That’s where the issue lies. Do you respect property or not?”

Tommy Bowden of Deer Lake area agreed.

“There are plenty of places for people to go to the beach besides on my property,” he said. “No one has offered to help pay my taxes. I like to sit on the property I am paying taxes on. Help me pay my taxes and I’ll let you sit on it. I live on Deer Lake. If people are looking for a place to go, go there.”

Suzanne Harris of Edgewater Beach offered a warning to commissioners.

“You are going to end up with private security guards with guns on every beach if you pass this,” she said.

However, Celeste Cobena of Dune Allen disagreed.

“I think it is completely hypocritical for us to spend millions of dollars asking people to come here then have chains keeping them from the beach and signs saying no trespassing,” Cobena said. “If you don’t think this will hurt Walton County in the long run, you’re wrong.

“When people are paying a lot of money to stay on the beach, they want to relax,” she added. “Chains and signs are not relaxing.”

The amendment to Chapter 22 of the Beach Ordinance was approved by a vote of 3-2. District 2 Commissioner Cecilia Jones, District 4 Commissioner Sara Comander and Meadows voted to approve the amendment while District 1 Commissioner Bill Chapman and District 3 Commissioner Bill “Exactly what is an obstruction?” Imfeld asked.

He said he could see taking down ropes and fences, but not signs, as that is a property right.

And as a former law man, Chapman attempted to look out for the sheriff and deputies who might be called to enforce trespassing.

“You need poles to be able to tell where property lines are,” he said, recommending taking the amendment off the table and addressing at a later date.

However, Comander said the sheriff never talked to her about his concerns and made the motion to approve the amendment as written.

“The Leave No Trace ordinance now specifies that no fences, chains, or signs may be used on the beach,” BCC Public Information Officer Louis Svehla said after the meeting. “With the exception of sand fencing on the dune or DEP-approved sand fencing on the dry sand, all others are prohibited from being on the beach at all times.”

This amendment to the ordinance would take place immediately, according to Jones.

“I would assume that we will now start enforcing the new ordinance and ask the owners to take down these items and follow pursuit as any other code violation if they do not,” she said.

Jones sent out a letter to contacts the day before the meeting asking all to come out and support her in her endeavor to get all the signs, ropes, chains, and fences taken down off South Walton’s beaches. And many in the community did.

Prior to discussion, county attorney Mark Davis explained that the board was not voting on the issue of customary use of the beach, but on amendments to the Leave No Trace ordinance, which would affect property south of the construction line all the way to the wet sandy beach.

It will now fall on the county to enforce the amended ordinance.

“We need somebody on every half mile of beach to enforce,” Meadows said. “We need management on the beach. We have to get out on those beaches and manage them and ramp up enforcement — as many as needed. We should be like Disney. We need to look at enforcement and cleaning up our beach. Ropes and chains need to go.

“It needs to look like we feature in our ads where we show one person out there on a float,” she added. “This is our entire economy. Everybody feeds off this beach. I’ve lost friends over this. Leave no trace means leave no trace. I think we need to remove everything, then if we want to add things back in we can. Be clean and adopt this tonight as written, then put together a comprehensive plan for the beaches.”

Jones and Comander agreed.

“We should all work together to make our beaches beautiful and safe,” said Jones.

Comander acknowledged that more code enforcement was needed on the beach. In her closing remarks, she took the opportunity to shame the gulf-front homeowners.

“We are going to hire three more (code enforcement officers) and we will hire 10 more if needed,” she said. “We need to take a look at tents on the beach and vendors. We are getting more crowded. We have changed, some for good, some not so good. We need to take a look at dogs. If we leave the ropes and chains, we will get in trouble with the feds over turtles and beach mice. To those of you who are beach-front owners, think how fortunate you are. Whoever earned the money, the Lord had a hand in it. The rest of us would like to walk that beach.

Last edited by a moderator:

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
Did the two "NO" voters give any reasoning behind their decision? As citizens of Walton Co., don't we deserve to know? Let's press them for explanations.
I'd rather hear directly from them, but it appeared to be largely due to the Sheriff's SOP. With no sign(s) whatsoever to identify boundaries, trespassing becomes virtually impossible to enforce even if something obnoxious is occurring. There also seemed to be a question whether property owners can be denied the right to post their property. I'm not an attorney, but that was my takeaway from what some of them said.

Johnny Z

Beach Crab
Jun 12, 2016
Huntsville, AL
I'd rather hear directly from them, but it appeared to be largely due to the Sheriff's SOP. With no sign(s) whatsoever to identify boundaries, trespassing becomes virtually impossible to enforce even if something obnoxious is occurring. There also seemed to be a question whether property owners can be denied the right to post their property. I'm not an attorney, but that was my takeaway from what some of them said.
The problem seems to be with overreaching. The ropes, chains, signs are generally on public beaches or areas of traditional common use where people are not trespassing, but where they are being intimidated with a threats of legal entanglement. If there is something obnoxious going on, I'm sure the authorities can address it, but some of the beach-front property owners appear to think that ordinary beach-going is obnoxious.