• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

South Walton Community Council

Community Organization
Jan 17, 2007
www.southwaltoncc.org
The SWCC has been contacted by the property owners of Gulf Place and the surrounding neighborhood to ask for your support in opposing the proposed hotel development adjacent to their community. Please read the following letter from a concerned property owner and show your support by attending the BCC meeting on September 8th at 4:00 pm.

"Dear Commissioners,

I would like to address the motel complex that has been planned for lot 19 and 20 within Gulf Place. I and many more owners are totally against the motel and the clientele it will bring to Gulf Place and 30A. At the most recent meeting, I was shocked as I listened to the developers describe the MOTEL as a lovely INN or boutique motel. I have stayed at many Inns before and they are lovely with nice bar areas, spas, meeting rooms and nice restaurants for their guest. The Inns are typically geared around few rooms, loads of amenities and a quaint experience to enjoy a quite area. There is currently a lovely Inn along 30-A in Watercolor and it does have all the amenities with few rooms in addition to a lovely private pool, full spa, and full bar areas for outside and inside dining.

The Motel planned for Gulf Place has NO amenities, only a small splash pool. The project it seems is all about beds and heads and as many rooms as they can squeeze in. I was shocked at the parking they also have planned for the motel. The spaces that will be provided are so small; it will be hard to park a compact car and will in no way accommodate a SUV. This project will bring in a minimum of 90 to 150 additional automobiles that will be driving in our small community as well as along 30-A and Hwy. 393. The additional traffic will as well be looking for parking within the complex. We have a tremendous parking problem already-not enough parking for the number of condos and commercial area in Gulf Place. We also rent the green space for weddings, concerts, art shows and many other events, so when those people arrive they have nowhere to park, spaces are taken and they usually end up on the side of 30-A everywhere.

Ed Waline State Park is the busiest state park along 30-A and it is a place where local owners can come to the beach and enjoy the day. However parking is a premium, and most every day cars are lined up and down 30-A just to visit the park. This is not only an eye sore but so dangerous for pedestrians and small children trying to cross between cars. I have personally witnessed several children that almost got hit because they came out between cars.

I realize this motel meets all the requirements of density when Gulf Place was first established and approved in the early 90’s. However that has been over 25 years ago, and projects that worked 25 years ago do not work today and should not work if we want to preserve what we have along the Emerald Coast. All one has to do is look at Destin and Panama City Beach. Destin started as a small fishing village; just a lovely place, and now it is dotted with high rise condos and motels, and traffic is at a standstill most of the year. You cannot drive Destin and even see the beach because the lovely views are all blocked by concrete structures. Motels are typically filled with spring break students who have no ownership and no desire to preserve the beauty of the area.

The City of Destin did not have the foresight to see what they had nor tried to preserve the area. Years ago (I think in the 80’s) there was a high rise that was built along 30-A called One Seagrove Place. Once that building went up, the community took a stand against additional high-rise buildings being constructed. In doing this, the community showed much vision and leadership in what they did all those years ago. They sent a message to the commissioners, “We will not destroy our way of life, the quaint beauty, natural wildlife and peaceful beach community along 30-A.” They could have taken the high rise requirement down to 10 floors or even 8 floors but no, they would not settle until the height requirement was 4 floors or below allowing all the views of the beautiful gulf to remain for the lovely 30-A corridor drive.

Homeowners and County commissioners took a stand against developers, demanding that 30-A remain as a tribute to some of the most beautiful property in the state of Florida. I totally commend those strong leaders who stood up and demanded change of the future development along 30-A. They had vision beyond the moment, they truly stood by their conventions of Preserving 30-A.

Today we stand at the same cross roads with developers it is our time to make a stand, preserve and conserve 30-A, allow the 30-A corridor to remain as one of Florida’s most beautiful areas to visit and enjoy the natural beauty, low density and wild life that often walks the area.

I spoke with these developers in April at our Association meeting and asked the question, “ you could easily build a condo complex that would fit within the community and preserve the area with private ownership.” Their response was “This piece is zoned commercial and we can get the motel approved. It could be worst we could put up an arcade and I am sure you would not want that.” These developers are clearly not concerned with 30-A, the preservation of our community, the beaches or anything else in Walton County. It appears that they are all about the money. I along with the majority of the owners predict that they will build this motel, run it for a year or so and then sell it. We could be left with Hampton Inn or any number of motel chains, which could care less about how it is operated but more with how they can fill the beds.

When I was at the planning board meeting I noticed the County Seal above the members, which reads: “Walton County, Pride, Preservation, and Conservation”. I employ you to do the right thing for the 30-A corridor, the preservation and the conservation of the area and stop these motels from dotting the beautiful landscape. It truly is our time to lead, stand up protect the 30-A corridor we all love."

The following is a link to the online petition provided. If you haven't already please click on the link to sign the petition if you agree!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/stop-the-gulf-place-hotel

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
From Walton County Public Information:

Notice of Postponement – Quasi-Judicial for Gulf Place Lots 19 and 20 Major Development

The Walton County Planning Department has requested a continuance of the Quasi-Judicial Hearing to be held on Tuesday, November 10th regarding the development of Gulf Place Lots 19 and 20.

The continuance request is in regard to the Planning Department’s continued research into the project. Additional time has been requested in order to compete their process.

Information about the project is below.

Gulf Place Lots 19 and 20 Project number 14-00100082 - Major development order application submitted by Jenkins Engineering, Inc. This is a major development order application submitted by Jenkins Engineering, Inc. requesting the approval to construct commercial spaces of +/- 25,500 square feet, to include 40 multifamily condo/townhome units and a 50-unit hotel, and a 2,500 square foot retail space on approximately 2.2 acres with a future land use of Village Mixed Use. The project is located within the Gulf Place PUD, north of CR 30A adjacent to the west side of South CR 393

The continuance to this Quasi-Judicial Hearing will be to the regularly scheduled December 8th, 2015 Walton County BCC meeting at 5:00pm or soon thereafter at the South Walton Annex located at 31 Coastal Centre Blvd. in Santa Rosa Beach.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Posted on: December 3, 2015

Notice of Postponement – Quasi-Judicial for Gulf Place Lots 19 and 20 Major Development

The Walton County Planning Department has requested a continuance of the Quasi-Judicial Hearing to be held on Tuesday, December 8th regarding the development of Gulf Place Lots 19 and 20.

The continuance request is in regard to the Planning Department’s continued research into the project. Additional time has been requested in order to compete their process.

Information about the project is below.

Gulf Place Lots 19 and 20 Project number 14-00100082 - Major development order application submitted by Jenkins Engineering, Inc. This is a major development order application submitted by Jenkins Engineering, Inc. requesting the approval to construct commercial spaces of +/- 25,500 square feet, to include 40 multifamily condo/townhome units and a 50-unit hotel, and a 2,500 square foot retail space on approximately 2.2 acres with a future land use of Village Mixed Use. The project is located within the Gulf Place PUD, north of CR 30A adjacent to the west side of South CR 393

The continuance to this Quasi-Judicial Hearing will be to the regularly scheduled January 12th, 2016 Walton County BCC meeting at 5:00pm or soon thereafter at the South Walton Annex located at 31 Coastal Centre Blvd. in Santa Rosa Beach.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
Saw where project was approved with hotel deleted. They added more condos and commercial in its place.

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
Planning Commission recommended approval, it still has to go before the county commission. The only change was conversion of the 50-room hotel to 30 condos in the same footprint. Same amount of commercial that had previously been in the plans.

Conn006

Beach Lover
Feb 5, 2016
Where exactly is this new development proposed? Behind Gulf Place? Near the new housing development that's going up behind Gulf Place?