• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I've never seen so much gulf water flowing in to the lakes over an extended period. I'm afraid it may indicate something less than ideal. Like beach sand levels too low.

Nope. Just different tides and weather pattern. The salinity of dune lakes changes all the time.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
If we pile all the vendor chairs in one place, then cover them with
about two feet of sand, would that be high enough? :blink:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I've never seen so much gulf water flowing in to the lakes over an extended period. I'm afraid it may indicate something less than ideal. Like beach sand levels too low.

The inflows recently are the first I've seen in a long time. If there wasn't enough sand physics would send water out not in.

Jackalope

Beach Lover
Jan 24, 2015
I remember in the early 80's Philips Inlet looked like white water rapids when it would open up. We had a blast playing in the outflow. Expect mother nature to show you some cool s**t from time to time and enjoy it.

carson

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2014
Seagrove
John G:

I'm with you on this after what we saw the week of June 11-18.

We were setting up each day on or near the Eastern Lake "isthmus" between the lake and the Gulf. The isthmus was slightly higher than the lake level there, and the lake was very shallow to the north back past the Eastern Lake Rd public access (knee deep to an adult through much of it).

Some days the high tide would slightly, gently and NATURALLY connect the Gulf water to the lake water, usually on "red flag" days, and push the clear/emerald Gulf water into the shallow part of the lake. Most days it remained closed and the isthmus was a true isthmus, a narrow strip of land surrounded by two larger bodies of water.

On Sunday, June 18, we got out there in the afternoon, and the south end of Eastern Lake was waist deep and at times higher once you sunk your feet into the soft, unstable sand on the floor - against the strong current towards the Gulf! We noticed the man made opening to the Gulf where the lake water was shooting out into the Gulf's red flag waves like a water park flume into a wave pool. The isthmus was gone and gradually caving in from the east and west of the outflow.

I asked some people nearby when it opened, and they said some kids did it around 10-11 that morning. They said a Sheriff's beach patrol unit had come by and looked at it and asked who did it - so since it's a state statute, I'd think that the Sheriff's Dept, as a county subagency of state government, would have jurisdiction over that issue. The signs that Lake View Too mentioned are posted at the end of the Eastern Lake Rd public access boardwalk. Who else would people call to report it, some office in Tallahasses so they can send a helicopter over, or send a highway patrol officer out on the beach in his Dodge Charger?

It definitely made an impact on the natural flow of the lake and Gulf. Also made the lake floor unstable and the current dangerous for smaller kids, and made the lake and area impassable for Sheriff, lifeguard and beach services vehicles.

I have seen it 2 times myself this summer. I saw a kid about 16 or 17 years old dig a trench right before Memorial Day and the lake started pouring into the Gulf. Then two weeks ago I saw a little kids digging a trench from Deer Lake out to the Gulf and again Lake water pouring into the ocean. And I'll be damned if yesterday I didn't see almost in exactly the same spot two or three little kids taking another trench in Deer Lake out to the ocean.

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
At the risk of getting flamed...

If so many people are seeing the trenches being dug, then, why don't you go behind the kids and fill them in?

...of course at the expense of their parents complaining about ruining their kid's vacations and how they can do whatever they want...

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Why not completely surround the outfalls with vendors chairs so the kids cannot get to them. :blink: