• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
I'd love to see organized (county?) effort to migrate folks on septic over to sewer where it's available. There's no excuse for polluting our water when there is an alternative.

BeachArkie

Beach Lover
Jun 27, 2008
Seagrove
It happens every time we get a bunch of rain and/or when the lake outfalls open up. This is just one of the few times people are actually aware of it.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Try some of the public beaches that are in areas with good ratings but get there early. We love Grayton Beach State Park. You'll pay for parking but there are no buildings on the dunes, there are picnic tables (and i think grills), and bathrooms (and I think showers). We loved it there. Again, get there as soon as it opens to get parking.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
The South Walton Fire District Facebook page is an excellent source for beach conditions. I use it regularly. Still no new results but they do provide good clarification on the water quality issue.

Calling the actual FL Dept. Health is a novel concept. The FL.Dept of Health also has a Facebook page.
Florida Department of Health (DOH)

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Calling the actual FL Dept. Health is a novel concept. The FL.Dept of Health also has a Facebook page.
Florida Department of Health (DOH)
Good general info on their website too. Blue Mountain Beach still showing poor quality from 7/29. Anyone see new testing results?

I always look to SWFD for their advisories on all things beach safety. They are such pros. Reporting facts and what we need to know!

LarsAtTheBeach

Beach Fanatic
Jul 19, 2008
I'd love to see organized (county?) effort to migrate folks on septic over to sewer where it's available. There's no excuse for polluting our water when there is an alternative.
I thought there is a state EPA? requirement that once sewer service is available to your property, you had one year to hook up and discontinue using the septic system.

Conn006

Beach Lover
Feb 5, 2016
I thought there is a state EPA? requirement that once sewer service is available to your property, you had one year to hook up and discontinue using the septic system.

Was joking with hubby---the word would get out easily, as to which areas are unhealthy areas, by just hanging a brown flag with the other beach condition flags! :nono:

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Was joking with hubby---the word would get out easily, as to which areas are unhealthy areas, by just hanging a brown flag with the other beach condition flags! :nono:

You bought a home in BMB? Are you on a septic system? Did you know most of the homes in BMB are on septic? Do you understand the drain fields? What did you think would happen during a hurricane or extensive rains?