• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
^^^ Always the pessimist! ^^^

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
Bevause everybody needs a grill, hammock, cabana, and a pile of Yeti coolers at the beach. :)20160703_083014.jpg

Marmot

Beach Lover
Jun 16, 2016
SRB
This new addition to rentals (12x12 cabanas with hammocks, etc...) are going to break beach communities.
Hopefully voters will wake up! Vendor issues are getting out of hand and a major source of the beach problems facing the county.

JustAnotherTourist

Beach Comber
Jun 21, 2016
Atlanta
That's ridiculous!! That is why this vendor issue needs to be addressed immediately. When we were down there we saw a man dragging an inflatable dinghy on wheels through the shallow water selling ice cream - complete with blaring ice cream truck music! He technically was "in" the water and therefore not on "private" property. When does it end? Pretty soon there will be more giant cabanas, more chair vendors, more water sports, people selling food, trinkets, braiding ... it could turn into places like Nassau. Companies like Tail Grayton deliver flat screen TVs with satellite, grills, catering tables, sound systems, power generators, and build you a beach living room for the day ... where do you draw the line? How about draw the line at NO vending on any beaches in South Walton. Period. You rent, you carry.

Burgess

Beach Crab
Aug 15, 2016
Are there any regulations as to when and where and rental company can set up chairs and umbrellas on the beach? When vacationing in Seagrove Beach this summer there was a wall of umbrellas and chairs lined up by
6:00am, most of which went unoccupied. I could barely see the gulf from my spot behind them and had to zigzag between chairs and under umbrellas just to reach the water. The rental guy refused to say what time they set up but another vacationer advised 6:00am. I ultimately woke up every day at 5:30am just to set up my tent. Upon returning to the beach later in the morning a rental chair/umbrella was set up six inches from my tent. Ridiculous. Makes the drive from Maryland not worth it..

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
Are there any regulations as to when and where and rental company can set up chairs and umbrellas on the beach? When vacationing in Seagrove Beach this summer there was a wall of umbrellas and chairs lined up by
6:00am, most of which went unoccupied. I could barely see the gulf from my spot behind them and had to zigzag between chairs and under umbrellas just to reach the water. The rental guy refused to say what time they set up but another vacationer advised 6:00am. I ultimately woke up every day at 5:30am just to set up my tent. Upon returning to the beach later in the morning a rental chair/umbrella was set up six inches from my tent. Ridiculous. Makes the drive from Maryland not worth it..

I'm sorry to hear about your experience at our beach. You are not alone.
Many of us think vending has gotten completely out of hand. We have
been urging our local government to do something about it with little
success, but we will keep trying.

At the public beach access in Grayton, there are posts marking the areas
that vendors are allowed to set up their gear. These areas are supposed to
comprise no more than 50% of the total access area. I believe that this is
the rule at all public accesses. Regarding the setup time, vendors may
begin setting up after they are given the OK by turtle watch or an hour
after sunrise, whichever happens first.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013

This is an email I sent to Walton County BCC and TDC stating your problems.
For what it's worth you are only one of 100's and 100's of visitors that experience this ridiculous activity which is restricted but NOT enforced often.
Unfortunately this activity and greed of beach boy umbrella business tax free
Is destroying SOWAL tourist industry.

From SOWAL FORUM..this is going viral..I am twitting it and many more..don't let BCC members with family in beach business rule your group...golden goose for Walton county tax money is nearly destroyed by vendors.Do you really think vendors pay all taxes? Also do you think there future sales will support county after bed tax drops?? This guy isn't driving 20 hrs to look at umbrellas........Better wake up and move vendors back 30' like PCB

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
This is an email I sent to Walton County BCC and TDC stating your problems.
For what it's worth you are only one of 100's and 100's of visitors that experience this ridiculous activity which is restricted but NOT enforced often.
Unfortunately this activity and greed of beach boy umbrella business tax free
Is destroying SOWAL tourist industry.

From SOWAL FORUM..this is going viral..I am twitting it and many more..don't let BCC members with family in beach business rule your group...golden goose for Walton county tax money is nearly destroyed by vendors.Do you really think vendors pay all taxes? Also do you think there future sales will support county after bed tax drops?? This guy isn't driving 20 hrs to look at umbrellas........Better wake up and move vendors back 30' like PCB
Can you post BCC and TDC emails. Maybe @Burgess and other visitors would like to join in letting the commissioners understand their perspectives.