• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
I wonder if this is what my daughter kept getting bit by 2 weeks ago.

On a funnier note, maybe the gulfront owners won't be so quick to put signs out about trespassing since the beach and ocean are now determined to be filled with lice! Any for sale signs going up?
They are probably the ones pushing it TO the media to keep tourists from coming here since that just furthers the customary use by the guests of the State of Florida.

PJJ

Beach Lover
Oct 27, 2007
I grew up on the FL east coast and sea lice were always a problem. No idea how scientific it is, but we were told to shower immediately after getting out of the water, and if you got sea lice (always), spray starch on or put clear fingernail polish over the bites. Calamine lotion and benadryl helped as well. Not sure if this is the same thing or if the 80s/90s home remedies have any basis in fact.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
Purple flags indicate marine pests. Can mean anything from juvenile jellies to sharks. They were flying the other day. Don't know why this is national news.
Purple Flag is a warning for "Dangerouse Marine Life". But I've been told SWFD doesn't use it for sharks because they just come and go. Maybe if we had swarms of sharks as the Apocalypse approaches.

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
Purple Flag is a warning for "Dangerouse Marine Life". But I've been told SWFD doesn't use it for sharks because they just come and go. Maybe if we had swarms of sharks as the Apocalypse approaches.
Sharknado_poster.jpg

BeachArkie

Beach Lover
Jun 27, 2008
Seagrove
The purple flag isn't specific, but the SWFD is in their daily posts. They list the flags and give the reasons for them.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Follow SWFD on Facebook for daily surf and beach conditions, safety tips, and excellent information posted daily.

TODAY Jun10
Yellow/purple flags today.

Moderate surf with potential rip currents remaining from Tropical Storm Colin.

Be careful out there.

We did not receive any reports of jellyfish stings yesterday, so we will reevaluate the Purple flags at the end of today.

If you are stung, please use warm water, NOT ICE for immediate pain relief.

‪#‎swimsafely‬

13407328_10154386070862518_7946150235977198077_n.jpg