• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Latest in my inbox from Ms Meadows:

There has to be three commissioners who vote to direct staff to revise the ordinance. One commissioner son is a vendor. We don't have the votes to do this at this point.

Sent from my iPhone

Cindy Meadows
Walton County Commissioner
District 5
850-231-2978 office
This means that we need Jones to recuse herself from any votes about beach operations and vending.

MRBS

Beach Lover
Jun 5, 2008
Agreed. She should absolutely recuse herself, but then it looks like you may be left with a tie vote? Is there an ordinance regarding conflicts of interest for BCC commissioners? Also, it's a shame that this proposal provides that half of the county owned sand at each access will be designated for vendors, as I suspect that many will sit empty all day and discriminate against those who bring their own and/or can't afford to rent them. Seems like the concurrence on these threads is that the set ups should not be placed until reserved by persons who will actually sit in them. Will the BCC entertain that thought?

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Agreed. She should absolutely recuse herself, but then it looks like you may be left with a tie vote? Is there an ordinance regarding conflicts of interest for BCC commissioners? Also, it's a shame that this proposal provides that half of the county owned sand at each access will be designated for vendors, as I suspect that many will sit empty all day and discriminate against those who bring their own and/or can't afford to rent them. Seems like the concurrence on these threads is that the set ups should not be placed until reserved by persons who will actually sit in them. Will the BCC entertain that thought?

Conflicts of Interest are actually Ethics Violation and violations of Sunshine law. Per rules adopted by the BCC, a tie vote results in failure of the proposal, whether the motion is to approve or deny..

Garner

Beach Fanatic
I believe that during any discussion of beach vendor issues, not only should Commissioner Jones recuse herself from voting, but also sit in the audience and have the same three minutes of time that any other citizen of Walton County receives to speak for or against the issue. And that should follow for any commissioner on any issue with a conflict of interest

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Let's say I want to start a hamburger stand. (I don't but that's not relevant) I need start up costs including the proper permitting. I also need to buy land in an area conducive to large numbers of people, like the beach. I can't afford to purchase beach property but I've found a way around that. I'll just go to the BCC and demand they give me a 50% percent share of the land where I want my burger bar. Whala! I'm in business!

In effect that's what vendors have done or are attempting to do so why shouldn't it work for the rest of us?

LarsAtTheBeach

Beach Fanatic
Jul 19, 2008
Let's say I want to start a hamburger stand. (I don't but that's not relevant) I need start up costs including the proper permitting. I also need to buy land in an area conducive to large numbers of people, like the beach. I can't afford to purchase beach property but I've found a way around that. I'll just go to the BCC and demand they give me a 50% percent share of the land where I want my burger bar. Whala! I'm in business!

In effect that's what vendors have done or are attempting to do so why shouldn't it work for the rest of us?
I agree and have made similar analogy.

3crows

Beach Comber
Jul 15, 2007
What about the South San Juan Ave access in Seagrove Beach, in regard to vendor set ups?

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011

No, which is exactly what C. Jones and T. Anderson and 2 other sitting Commissioners want. With T. Anderson on board C. Jones has the votes to exert her will.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
What about the South San Juan Ave access in Seagrove Beach, in regard to vendor set ups?

From what I'm understanding of those maps (someone will correct me if I'm wrong)...ALL public beaches will at some point in the future be 50% vendors with a designated area for set-ups.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
I think we should maybe change the title of this thread to include the issue of beach vendors. It seems to me they are going to be discussing alot more than just the Headland Ave. access but maybe they want that part to fly under the radar while they make decisions about vendors that are going to affect us all.