• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Hey SoWal food lovers! We've had a record number of NEW restaurants open in South Walton over the last year or so. It's truly hard to keep track. I haven't tried them all yet but have definitely made my way to certain must try spots. Out of all the new restaurants over the last year, I've become very attached to Grayton Seafood Co. at Uptown Grayton.

151202-grayton-004-sowal-2000.jpg

This spot is hidden and has been a difficult location for previous restaurants over the years (Gravel Road, Sergio's, Little Italy, and a few others that were very short lived)... But I do believe the right people with the right stuff have found a good fit here. Owner Kenny Griner spent a lot of time renovating the space and making it very rustic and comfortable for diners. He finally opened last year - I think it's been over a year now. There's a great cozy bar in the back where you can sit and eat raw oysters and have a cold beer. There's also a nice patio out back for cooler days or evenings.

So, Grayton Seafood is a hidden gem right in the middle of Grayton Beach. Easy to find but parking might be a bit difficult during the day as Uptown Grayton is busy with shoppers and Another Broken Egg breakfast eaters (serving breakfast all day and lunch too).

Grayton Seafood is open Wed through Sun for lunch and dinner with a special brunch menu on Sundays. I have yet to go for dinner but have been many times for lunch. The dinner menu looks very special so that's my next night out.

There are many things we love on the Grayton Seafood menu. My favorites so far are: fresh mullet (almost daily), fried oysters and shrimp, catfish, perfect cheese grits, fried okra like moms, great coal slaw... and love the fish sandwich! Other items loved by my friends include chicken tenders (some say these are the best ever), gumbo and fish tacos. Next to try is a po-boy with shrimp or oysters. And the burger!

But, I'm bad to order the mullet because you can't get it anywhere else and it's FRESH as it can be.

I've seen a LOT of locals in and out of this little restaurant which is really important for the success of any our restaurants, especially a small hidden gem like Grayton Seafood. Many Grayton residents have embraced the spot and you'll find them at the bar frequently.

Last week, I ordered the raw oysters which were from Alligator Point (near Apalachicola). Shucked by Kenny himself, these little ice cold oysters were filled with salty flavor and I knew immediately they were the best I can ever remember. What a treat! Can't wait for more.

Have you been yet?

160217-Grayton-Seafood-Co-014-sowal-2000.jpg

You'll find Grayton Seafood at Uptown Grayton next to Another Broken Egg, Adaro Art Gallery, Fashionably Late Boutique, Ginger Leigh's Workshop, Summer House Lifestyle and a few other favorite shops - I could spend the day here (and I have on several occasions).

Read about Grayton Seafood here in the SoWal Dining Guide where you'll find info, photos and news about the restaurant. Feel free to rate and comment on their dining page.

Or let us know your thoughts here in the dining forum! Restaurants love hearing from you. Where do you love to dine?

Last edited: