• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
We were there at the end of June, leaving on July 2. Hot and crowded. First time in a long time we went that far into summer. It was an added week for family to enjoy. We had already been in May. Heading back in Sept.
Anyway, as we drove around we drove back into Forest Lake area. Does that sound correct? Fairly new development. Nice homes. At the northern border, huge area of trees bulldozed, area being cleared. Extension of this development?
Also, communication. There are several items that continually need to be addressed: flag system, golf carts, cyclists, pedestrian/bike trail.
There are so many special events in the summer - movies, concerts, plays, etc - why not use the beginning of each event as a way to educate those people? Utilize your local, talented young people - paying them of course from the tourist bureau. Create a fun, informational way to educate, perhaps gearing toward the children, but maybe the adults would hear too? Every visit. On the beach. We chat with people who never saw the flags; didn't know what they meant. So, your talented kids instruct the kids in the audience with comedy and visuals. Also, talk about cyclists and carts are considered cars. Don't drive the wrong way; don't go through stop signs; etc.
Seaside has a huge attendance for these events. Start with them?
It is so bad down there during the summer. Sorry.
(Trolley was fun, Went from Seaside to Gulf Place, but too hot:-( Love the Craft House and Watercolor Wine World. Of course, Modica. Keep our refrigerator stocked with items from their deli. Oysters and dinner at Great Southern. Heartache at Cowgirl Kitchen. Arrival day lunch at Bud & Alleys and token cocktail visit when Mo is there. We dine, ride our bikes, walk, go to the beach. Perfect:)
Long time, frequent visitor.
Ellen

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Good ideas!! I know the vacation rental companies include information for their guests regarding beach safety and other items from the TDC etc. But surely more can and should be done to educate visitors, including sea turtle education and keeping the beach clean and safe. I like your suggestions!

You always hit the good spots when you're visiting.

sharon davis

Beach Comber
May 5, 2016
Inlet Beach
Do we really have to educate these tourists on common sense, I guess so. Don't run stop signs, really? If you can't clean up after yourself on the beach or anywhere else down here, or not run over cyclists or ignore stop signs please go somewhere else for your vacation.

Conn006

Beach Lover
Feb 5, 2016
The forest area you speak of in Forest Lakes is not an extension of the neighborhood. It's actually a forest that the state (or some idiot) decided to get rid of all trees not indigenous to the state of Florida!!! Now it looks like the dead lands with dead stumps, branches and who knows how many years it will take those trees to grow back! Makes me sick to look at it!! Its destruction for no good reason that I know of!

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
Do we really have to educate these tourists on common sense, I guess so. Don't run stop signs, really? If you can't clean up after yourself on the beach or anywhere else down here, or not run over cyclists or ignore stop signs please go somewhere else for your vacation.
As a visitor, something has to be done. People behave badly at home, but on vacation.... And 'target' the kids. Might get the parents educated, but they're not educating their kids. Takes a village, must be true. Utilize your local youth talent with summer jobs.

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
The forest area you speak of in Forest Lakes is not an extension of the neighborhood. It's actually a forest that the state (or some idiot) decided to get rid of all trees not indigenous to the state of Florida!!! Now it looks like the dead lands with dead stumps, branches and who knows how many years it will take those trees to grow back! Makes me sick to look at it!! Its destruction for no good reason that I know of!

The forest service removed sand pines from some areas of the state forest. The sand pines were planted in place of
long leaf years and years ago for pulp, I believe. This was before the state acquired the land. Forestry will be re-planting
the harvested areas with long leaf this fall, I believe. It's a working forest. Over the years, you will se the forest service
harvest the trees, replant, do controlled burns, etc.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
As a visitor, something has to be done. People behave badly at home, but on vacation.... And 'target' the kids. Might get the parents educated, but they're not educating their kids. Takes a village, must be true. Utilize your local youth talent with summer jobs.

Totally agree. We have a very beautiful piece of earth filled with sensitive environmental resources. It's up to us to protect lakes, beaches, dunes, creatures, etc. We also have a responsibility for the safety and well being of our guests on the beaches, riding bikes and wherever. The beach flag system is a great tool along with education and info you'll find here on SoWal.com as well as the South Walton Fire District and TDC. Lifeguards are another great resource but they are only at 10 beach locations. Our sea turtle groups do a great job on social media educating us.

Big crowds gather for concerts and plays in Seaside, Rosemary, Alys Beach, Gulf Place, Sandestin/Baytowne. These would be wonderful opportunities for talking about local issues and safety.

Everytime

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Shelby County, Alabama

I took the "don't go through stop signs" part as a reference to cyclists flying through stop signs on the roads and on the 30A Path such as at 30A and 395 as if they aren't actually required to stop there since they're on bikes. I see it very often. It may also apply to golf cart drivers on side roads and in neighborhoods.

Everytime

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Shelby County, Alabama
The forest service removed sand pines from some areas of the state forest. The sand pines were planted in place of
long leaf years and years ago for pulp, I believe. This was before the state acquired the land. Forestry will be re-planting
the harvested areas with long leaf this fall, I believe. It's a working forest. Over the years, you will se the forest service
harvest the trees, replant, do controlled burns, etc.

Although as a trail runner, I don't like the current condition due to the sand pine clearing project (appearance and loss of shade), there's no doubt the return of native long leaf pine will be a good thing going forward to restore a more natural ecosystem. I think I read in one of the articles that the native long leaf will not be harvested on a regular basis as the sand pines have been and will continue to grow, just managed as needed.