• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

prception69

Beach Comber
Jun 26, 2005
Oxford,MS
LMAO Landlocked! That was pretty funny! JB, nice attempt at humor. Don't quit your day job. But we all know that Auburn is the TRUE football power in Bummer.

Good luck to everyone that may have to deal with Dennis in the next few days!

Rather B Paddlin

Beach Lover
Feb 15, 2005
Lurker1,

What do you define as prime space???

I thought we had 20 miles of prime space.

Go out today, take a walk on the beach, and smile. The tents are the least of our problems over the next 72 hours.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Rather B. Paddlin said:
Lurker1,

Go out today, take a walk on the beach, and smile. The tents are the least of our problems over the next 72 hours.
When the wind picks them up and throws them through your plywood covered windows, you may have another opinion of the subject.

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
prception69 said:
LMAO Landlocked! That was pretty funny! JB, nice attempt at humor. Don't quit your day job. But we all know that Auburn is the TRUE football power in Bummer.

Good luck to everyone that may have to deal with Dennis in the next few days!

Whatever. You might want to check Ole Mrs' record vs. UA before running your mouth.

Ole Mrs: The arrogance of Alabama and the tradition of Vanderbilt.

Last edited:

FoX

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
off the beach
www.thesimpsons.com
I really don't want to offend anyone, but the situation this year has officially gotten out of hand. Leaving items on the beach is illegal, but deputies are lazy and/or have other things to do. Their boss is not on them about bothering people who visit and spend money.

It's quickly becoming apparent that it is up to residents to educate visitors and possibly form patrols to help keep the beaches clean and safe. The beach service guys I'm sure would delight in spreading the word as it would be good for their business and they would get to vent their frustrations.

No one has anything against anyone else having fun, being comfortable, and relaxing. But there are just too many people enjoying our beaches now and something's got to give. Tents on the beach, along with all the stuff that comes with them, have gotten to be a real nuisance. Not only for the reason mentioned regarding the rude act of "reserving" spots, but for many other reasons too. Beach camps have become eyesores and dangerous. It is an extreme form of littering.

It has to come down to sensitivity and politeness. Ask yourself "what if everyone did it"? It would be quite a mess and we're getting to that point. If you don't understand that it is the wrong thing to do, then the majority of residents and visitors would like you to find another vacation spot.

FoX

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
off the beach
www.thesimpsons.com
Rather B. Paddlin said:
Lurker1,

26 miles of the most beautiful beaches in the world should be respected, not trashed.

Tents and other litter are our problem over the next 72 hours and 365 days a year.

FoX

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
off the beach
www.thesimpsons.com
RO

RiverOtter said:
Obviously you are one of the good and responsible tent users.

Sorry but you are breaking the law and not responsible if you leave a tent overnight. What's wrong with carrying an umbrella?

As usual the irresponsible, redneck, slack, mouth breathing actions of many affect the few that are doing things right.

I see all types of people trashing the beaches. I actually think the visitors with plenty of money are the bigger problem because beach items are disposable in their minds. It's just part of their vacation cost.

Rather B Paddlin

Beach Lover
Feb 15, 2005
Rather B. Paddlin said:
Hey Toddy,

I use a tent. I think people have a problem with the damaged or rusted tents left on the beach. In one week last summer, I personally disassembled and disposed of 2 damaged tents that were abandoned on the beach. For the most part if you take what you bring all will be well.

RBP

I totally agree. See above. If everyone would pick up their junk as well as junk left by others the beach would better for everyone. My pet peeeeeve is dog owners who let their dogs crap on the beach and then not not pick it up. My foot wedge found their little treasures 3 times last summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.