• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

LarsAtTheBeach

Beach Fanatic
Jul 19, 2008
Finally a little common since being talked great point John we have several things needing clean up around the county. So why are we still stuck on old news it hasn't work so far so why continue on with it . Everyone on here agrees we need change. And Danny your are also right we have out grown out infrastructure due to advertising, our beautiful beaches. The question is what can be done to fix it and who is going to stand firm and do just that. No matter which way you sway this same ole same is not working for the county as a whole ..
It's not for lack of funds. I understand the TDC is sitting on 60 million in cash reserves.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
So you have done all of this ? This is off subject but now I really want to know your against pray in public forum ?did I really read that correct
My name isn't fake it's my real name and the only reason I don't put my pic is people like you harassing me. No thanks.
Let's be clear tho yours is fake along with your pic and all you can say is the people on here know who I am. So how are we so different?
Why not use inmates to do work ? They are being punished for doing wrong why not ? That's like saying they can't grow their own garden for food to help so I don't have to pay for it ?

To be clear, I am totally against government led prayer. Unlike some, I respect the Constitution of the United States which specifically states "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof." The United States Supreme court has historically upheld that school prayer cannot be required of students in accordance with the Establishment Clause and of the First Amendment. More specifically no child should be required to pray by a government institution. I respect your right pray and those that do are completely free to do so....what the government is not free to do is ask me or my child to stand, bow our heads and pray. It is not the governments job to teach or lead my child or myself prayer. In addition, by the government "sponsoring prayer", it excludes people of many faiths their rights to pray and forces them to pray in a way that is foreign to them. It does not allow people of (say the Muslin faith) to bring prayer rugs to school and the government does not allow nor would they lead prayer in a way that Muslims do. It's called respect for all religion and again, I realize that is a hard concept for some to grasp yourself included.

@earl, I get that people like or will ignore laws that don't suit them. Thank you for telling us you are one of those people. Our jails and prison systems are also full of such people. The fact they are in jail and/or prison speaks volumes to their own stupidity. I can't explain that and won't even try. As far as inmates working, again, according to State Statute (the laws of the state of Florida) inmates can be put to work for the public good meaning...on public roads, bridges and other public works of the County including other public projects for which the governing body of the county could otherwise lawfully expend public funds and which it determines to be necessary for the health, safety, and welfare of the county. Churches are private organizations and State law does not exempt them from the law. I'm all about prisoners working for the public good not private organizations.

I have told you I don't know how many times who I am. My name is Lynda and you can find me on FB as Lynda Diann. You seem to want to argue that point but there is no getting around it. It is who I am. The image used here is not fake. It happens to be a real photo of sunflowers (which I happen to love by the way) and I also have one tattooed on my ankle. They make me happy!

I am also all about the Sheriff putting prisoners to work to grow their own food. It saves taxpayer money and as long as the Sheriff stays on County owned property there would never be an issue from me about prisoners gardening. However, if the Sheriff decided he was going to send a "good ole boy" from jail out to some privately owned farm to plow and cultivate his land I would then have an issues. I'll give Sheriff Mike Adkinson credit, he knows better.

LarsAtTheBeach

Beach Fanatic
Jul 19, 2008
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion,
or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

This country started going to chit when school prayer was removed.
Because with that removal...the slippery slope of political correctness and lack of any judgement upon the urchins began the chaos seen today.
(That's mt belief. That's my opinion. And no, I will NOT debate it with you)

Born&Bread

Beach Lover
Jul 31, 2016
Santa rosa beach
To be clear, I am totally against government led prayer. Unlike some, I respect the Constitution of the United States which specifically states "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof." The United States Supreme court has historically upheld that school prayer cannot be required of students in accordance with the Establishment Clause and of the First Amendment. More specifically no child should be required to pray by a government institution. I respect your right pray and those that do are completely free to do so....what the government is not free to do is ask me or my child to stand, bow our heads and pray. It is not the governments job to teach or lead my child or myself prayer. In addition, by the government "sponsoring prayer", it excludes people of many faiths their rights to pray and forces them to pray in a way that is foreign to them. It does not allow people of (say the Muslin faith) to bring prayer rugs to school and the government does not allow nor would they lead prayer in a way that Muslims do. It's called respect for all religion and again, I realize that is a hard concept for some to grasp yourself included.

@earl, I get that people like or will ignore laws that don't suit them. Thank you for telling us you are one of those people. Our jails and prison systems are also full of such people. The fact they are in jail and/or prison speaks volumes to their own stupidity. I can't explain that and won't even try. As far as inmates working, again, according to State Statute (the laws of the state of Florida) inmates can be put to work for the public good meaning...on public roads, bridges and other public works of the County including other public projects for which the governing body of the county could otherwise lawfully expend public funds and which it determines to be necessary for the health, safety, and welfare of the county. Churches are private organizations and State law does not exempt them from the law. I'm all about prisoners working for the public good not private organizations.

I have told you I don't know how many times who I am. My name is Lynda and you can find me on FB as Lynda Diann. You seem to want to argue that point but there is no getting around it. It is who I am. The image used here is not fake. It happens to be a real photo of sunflowers (which I happen to love by the way) and I also have one tattooed on my ankle. They make me happy!

I am also all about the Sheriff putting prisoners to work to grow their own food. It saves taxpayer money and as long as the Sheriff stays on County owned property there would never be an issue from me about prisoners gardening. However, if the Sheriff decided he was going to send a "good ole boy" from jail out to some privately owned farm to plow and cultivate his land I would then have an issues. I'll give Sheriff Mike Adkinson credit, he knows better.

Mike Adkinson is a great Sheriff. It was awesome when he went to the BCC meeting and made Cindy apologize. Doesn't the Sheriff have a ethics complaint against Cindy?

LarsAtTheBeach

Beach Fanatic
Jul 19, 2008
Good point
Ye-P
And yet, the BCC snd TDC couldn't get together and purchase the few acres across from Ft. Panic beach access. That would have made an EXCELLENT parking area, instead...folks park in front of private property along 30A

Can you say STOOPID!!!

Born&Bread

Beach Lover
Jul 31, 2016
Santa rosa beach
Ye-P
And yet, the BCC snd TDC couldn't get together and purchase the few acres across from Ft. Panic beach access. That would have made an EXCELLENT parking area, instead...folks park in front of private property along 30A

Can you say STOOPID!!!
They need to buy up as much property on the beach and across the road on 30a and make more parking lots and public beaches. I did hear the county was buy the property near Stinky's. Is this true?

earl

Beach Lover
Mar 29, 2008
Sowal
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion,
or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

This country started going to chit when school prayer was removed.
Because with that removal...the slippery slope of political correctness and lack of any judgement upon the urchins began the chaos seen today.
(That's mt belief. That's my opinion. And no, I will NOT debate it with you)[/QUOTE

Absolute truth

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
The misnomer here is that prayer has been removed from the public school system and that simply is not true. Students are free to pray anytime and wherever they choose as long as it does not disrupt the school day. What the State is not allowed to do is sponsor it. This right is protected by the school's duty not to inhibit the free exercise of religion. For example, students may say grace or a short private prayer before meals, or, if they feel it's necessary, before tests.

Types of Prayer Banned

Any activity that causes the school to advance one particular religion, or group of religions, over another will most likely be banned under the First Amendment. These types of activities include:

• Mandatory Prayer: Forcing children to pray during school hours;
  • Teacher-Led Prayer: A school employee reciting a prayer with the expectation that students will repeat the prayer or think about the words said;
  • Invocations and Other Prayer at School Functions: Prayer by clergy, school employee, or student during school related event such as football games and graduations;
  • Voluntary Prayer: time set aside for students to pray; and
  • Student-Led Prayer: students may not use school resources, including the PA system or class time, to lead other students in prayer.
Bottom line...It is NOT the Governments JOB to teach a child to pray. That's a PARENTS job!! That's the Churches role in children's lives and it's a parents job to get them to the Church on time.